Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Steve Langasek

Default Correct spelling/capitalisation of project names

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:36:50PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > Some weeks ago I noticed that some package descriptions incorrectly spell
> > some project names, mainly because of capitalisation.
> > For example GNOME is being spelt in some packages as Gnome, or simply gnome,
> > when its right spelling: GNOME. Other project names such as Debian, KDE and
> > Linux aren't being correctly capitalised.

> I can't help but roll my eyes at this. There are so many valid reasons
> to write "linux", "debian", or even "gnome" or "xerox"^W"kde". You can find
> some good in examples in the descriptions of devscripts and debhelper
> ("debian/", "debian package") which do not refer to a proper name and so
> don't need to be capitalised.

The latter *does* refer to a proper name and should be capitalized in
English.

Not that I'm going to spend my cycles chasing this issue, but if we're going
to pick nits, let's pick them with suitable diligence.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Ben Finney

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > Some weeks ago I noticed that some package descriptions
> > incorrectly spell some project names, mainly because of
> > capitalisation. [...]
>
> I can't help but roll my eyes at this. There are so many valid reasons
> to write "linux", "debian", or even "gnome" or "xerox"^W"kde".

If they're used to describe the project, they should be capitalised
properly.

If they're used to describe, e.g., a filename, command, or some other
literal text, it's more explicit to put those in quote marks so it's
clearer that it's *not* a proper name.

> You can find some good in examples in the descriptions of devscripts
> and debhelper ("debian/", "debian package") which do not refer to a
> proper name and so don't need to be capitalised.

The references to file names can be quoted to distinguish them from
proper names (and the proposed lintian check has been described to
pass on those instances).

Why do you think "debian package" is proper capitalisation? What does
the word "debian" refer to in that term, if not Debian?

--
"The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must |
` not conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true." |

Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Joey Hess

Ben Finney wrote:
> Why do you think "debian package" is proper capitalisation? What does
> the word "debian" refer to in that term, if not Debian?

A package format.

--
see shy jo

Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Ben Finney

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Why do you think "debian package" is proper capitalisation? What does
> > the word "debian" refer to in that term, if not Debian?
>
> A package format.

That format is called "the Debian package format", surely?

--
"There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. |
` Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, |

Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Josselin Mouette

Hi,

Le lundi 07 janvier 2008 à 20:06 -0600, Raphael Geissert a écrit :
> Some weeks ago I noticed that some package descriptions incorrectly spell
> some project names, mainly because of capitalisation.
> For example GNOME is being spelt in some packages as Gnome, or simply gnome,
> when its right spelling: GNOME. Other project names such as Debian, KDE and
> Linux aren't being correctly capitalised.

Could you please add GLib, GObject, GTK+, GConf, GnomeVFS and GStreamer
to the list?

Thanks,
--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:51:42AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Could you please add GLib, GObject, GTK+, GConf, GnomeVFS and GStreamer
> to the list?

Just to help Russ out here, but he already described how capitalisation
checking currently work in lintian. To re-iterate: it does *not* check
whether a given word matches a given correct capitalisation, but rather
looks for common errors. So, instead of asking for the addition of
correctly capitalized words, you should ask for the addition of common
errors mapping to the correct capitalisation.

Regarding the list above I would guess that what you want is something
like the following:

* glib -> GLib
* gobject -> GObject
* gtk+ -> GTK+
* gconf -> GConf
* gnomevfs -> GnomeVFS
* gstreamer -> GStreamer

Add other translation rules as needed.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org} -<%>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? / All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema / right keys at the right time

Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mercredi 09 janvier 2008 à 11:19 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> Regarding the list above I would guess that what you want is something
> like the following:
>
> * glib -> GLib
* Glib -> GLib

> * gobject -> GObject
* Gobject -> GObject

> * gtk+ -> GTK+
* GTK -> GTK+

> * gconf -> GConf
* Gconf -> GConf

> * gnomevfs -> GnomeVFS
* gnome-vfs -> GnomeVFS
* GNOME VFS -> GnomeVFS
* Gnome VFS -> GnomeVFS
* Gnome-VFS -> GnomeVFS
* GnomeVfs -> GnomeVFS
* Gnome-Vfs -> GnomeVFS

> * gstreamer -> GStreamer
* Gstreamer -> GStreamer

--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 AM
"Sergei Golovan"

TCL -> Tcl
tcl -> Tcl
TK -> Tk
tk -> Tk

--
Sergei Golovan

Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Luca Capello

Hi all!

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:13:25 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 09 janvier 2008 à 11:19 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
>> Regarding the list above I would guess that what you want is something
>> like the following:
>
>> * gnomevfs -> GnomeVFS
> * gnome-vfs -> GnomeVFS
> * GNOME VFS -> GnomeVFS
> * Gnome VFS -> GnomeVFS
> * Gnome-VFS -> GnomeVFS
> * GnomeVfs -> GnomeVFS
> * Gnome-Vfs -> GnomeVFS

I'm not a GNOME expert, but is there any reason why a GNOME component
capitalise differently GNOME?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Neil Williams

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:33:35 +0100
Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:

> >> * gnomevfs -> GnomeVFS
> > * gnome-vfs -> GnomeVFS
> > * GNOME VFS -> GnomeVFS
> > * Gnome VFS -> GnomeVFS
> > * Gnome-VFS -> GnomeVFS
> > * GnomeVfs -> GnomeVFS
> > * Gnome-Vfs -> GnomeVFS
>
> I'm not a GNOME expert, but is there any reason why a GNOME component
> capitalise differently GNOME?

GnomeVFS is used by GNOME but it does not require GNOME itself. It
isn't a "part of GNOME" and in some ways it could be called GVFS to
indicate a relationship with libglib2.0-0 (used by all GNOME libraries
and lots of none-GNOME ones).

--

Neil Williams