FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 PM
 
Default ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf...

found 513142 1.8.42
tags 513142 - unreproducible
notfixed 513142
thanks

I wish the line below,
Please inform the package maintainer about this problem.
would say which package it is talking about. Or at least it could say
"don't tell the maintainers of x y and z'.

Setting up dbconfig-common (1.8.42) ...
*** WARNING: ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf, but
the script did not pass --debconf-ok to ucf. The maintainer
script should be fixed to not stop debconf before calling ucf,
and pass it this parameter. For now, ucf will revert to using
old-style, non-debconf prompting. Ugh!

Please inform the package maintainer about this problem.
Need debconf to interact
dpkg: error processing dbconfig-common (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2

I found
Bug #513142 [dbconfig-common] ucf/dbconfig warning when package is installed

All I know is I still get the warning.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Holger Levsen
 
Default ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf...

Hi,

On Samstag, 23. Januar 2010, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> *** WARNING: ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf,
> but the script did not pass --debconf-ok to ucf. The maintainer script
> should be fixed to not stop debconf before calling ucf, and pass it this
> parameter. For now, ucf will revert to using old-style, non-debconf
> prompting. Ugh!

So using ucf wronly results in seriously buggy behaviour (not using debconf
for user prompting)? I think this is also a serious bug in ucf, besides being
a normal bug in the package using ucf.

Or am I missing something?


regards,
Holger
 
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Steve Langasek
 
Default ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf...

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 01:09:38AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:

> On Samstag, 23. Januar 2010, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> > *** WARNING: ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf,
> > but the script did not pass --debconf-ok to ucf. The maintainer script
> > should be fixed to not stop debconf before calling ucf, and pass it this
> > parameter. For now, ucf will revert to using old-style, non-debconf
> > prompting. Ugh!

> So using ucf wronly results in seriously buggy behaviour (not using debconf
> for user prompting)? I think this is also a serious bug in ucf, besides being
> a normal bug in the package using ucf.

> Or am I missing something?

It's not a bug in 'cat' that you can invoke it from a maintainer script in a
way that violates the policy on user interaction.

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org
 
Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
 
Default ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf...

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 01:09:38AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Samstag, 23. Januar 2010, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> > > *** WARNING: ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf,
> > > but the script did not pass --debconf-ok to ucf. The maintainer script
> > > should be fixed to not stop debconf before calling ucf, and pass it this
> > > parameter. For now, ucf will revert to using old-style, non-debconf
> > > prompting. Ugh!
>
> > So using ucf wronly results in seriously buggy behaviour (not using debconf
> > for user prompting)? I think this is also a serious bug in ucf, besides being
> > a normal bug in the package using ucf.
>
> > Or am I missing something?
>
> It's not a bug in 'cat' that you can invoke it from a maintainer script in a
> way that violates the policy on user interaction.

Unless it is a particular version of "cat" that knows when it is invoked by
a maintainer script, and on top of that, knows when it is invoked in a wrong
way that would force it to violate Debian policy...

The real question is: which causes the least amount of long-term damage: try
to recover, or abort with extreme prejudice to force whatever is misusing
ucf to be fixed ASAP?

I don't claim to have an answer to that question, btw.

--
"One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
Henrique Holschuh


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Holger Levsen
 
Default ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf...

On Sonntag, 24. Januar 2010, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Or am I missing something?
> It's not a bug in 'cat' that you can invoke it from a maintainer script in
> a way that violates the policy on user interaction.

Right, thanks.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org