Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Jérémy Lal

Default graphicsmagick or imagemagick

Hi,
my naïve questions for today :

1) is graphicsmagick really better than imagemagick ?
it advertises it's twice as fast, scales better, and 'contains'
imagemagick.

2) if so, why graphicsmagick is not widely used ?
The migration "looks" easy. I feel i'm missing something.

Jérémy.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Paul Wise

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Jérémy Lal <jerry@edagames.com> wrote:

> 2) if so, why graphicsmagick is not widely used ?
> The migration "looks" easy. I feel i'm missing something.

Probably a simple matter of mindshare and inertia. imagemagick has
been around for longer. graphicsmagick probably hasn't done enough
marketting to overcome the imagemagick inertia. For me, imagemagick is
good enough and the benefits of graphicsmagick aren't that obvious.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM
"Alexander E. Patrakov"

1) is graphicsmagick really better than imagemagick ?
it advertises it's twice as fast, scales better, and 'contains'
imagemagick.

This fork was created primarily for legal/licensing reasons.

2) if so, why graphicsmagick is not widely used ?

I don't know. But it is still the fact.

The migration "looks" easy. I feel i'm missing something.

Yes. Vulnerabilities. For licensing reasons, they can't borrow patches
from ImageMagick. And some not-so-competent bug reporters like myself
report bugs only to ImageMagick lists, and thus bugfixes don't reach
GraphicsMagick.

Look here for my posts:

http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-developers/2009-January

and also:

http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-developers/2009-March/003119.html

and see if any of the linked images still cause GraphicsMagick to
misbehave (crash, access uninitialized variables, leak memory, or unpack
pixels even if explicitly told to extract only image metadata).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov