FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Jonas Smedegaard
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

Hi fellow developers,

I am worried if perhaps Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au> is
Missing In Action.


He is maintainer of kannel which I have a special interest in. For some
time now I have had to use an unofficial packaging of a newer release
due to the package in Debian being quite outdated (see bug#563661). I
recently packaged the kannel-sqlbox addon and plan to package mbuni -
but find it silly to work on a "fork" of the (un?)maintained kannel.


I now checked
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=paul%40dwerryhouse.com.au
- the packages are not in particularly bad state but only one of the
bugreports listed there has ever had a single response - back in 2007 -
from Paul Dwerryhouse.


What is the procedure for MIAs? I seem to recall that db.debian.org
have a last-seen hint but that is only for account holders in Debian
which Paul Dwerryhouse seem not to be.


It seems that Paul maintains only the packages kannel and jwhois.

If it comes to that, I can offer to take over maintainance of kannel but
would be happy to here from others interested in co-maintaining it (I
would want to use Git and CDBS - so you are warned ahead if you have
special preferences for or against those tools). I have no interest in
jwhois.



Please cc me on responses to this mail: I am not subscribed to -devel.


Kind regards,

- Jonas

--
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

[x] quote me freely [ ] ask before reusing [ ] keep private
 
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Jonathan Wiltshire
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:57:50PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> What is the procedure for MIAs? I seem to recall that db.debian.org
> have a last-seen hint but that is only for account holders in Debian
> which Paul Dwerryhouse seem not to be.

Debian QA track developers missing in action and will know if attempts to
contact him are in progress: debian-qa@lists.debian.org.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

1024D: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3 A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52
4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC 74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Sandro Tosi
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 23:01, Jonathan Wiltshire
<debian@jwiltshire.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:57:50PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> What is the procedure for MIAs? *I seem to recall that db.debian.org
>> have a last-seen hint but that is only for account holders in Debian
>> which Paul Dwerryhouse seem not to be.
>
> Debian QA track developers missing in action and will know if attempts to
> contact him are in progress: debian-qa@lists.debian.org.

NO.

if you (both) check devref, you'll see that mia@qa.debian.org is the
right address where to sent such queries to.

Regards,
--
Sandro Tosi (aka morph, morpheus, matrixhasu)
My website: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/
Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM
"Milan P. Stanic"
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 22:57, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I am worried if perhaps Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au>
> is Missing In Action.
>
> He is maintainer of kannel which I have a special interest in. For
> some time now I have had to use an unofficial packaging of a newer
> release due to the package in Debian being quite outdated (see
> bug#563661). I recently packaged the kannel-sqlbox addon and plan
> to package mbuni - but find it silly to work on a "fork" of the
> (un?)maintained kannel.

Few months ago I tried to contact him for same reason (outdated kannel
package) but didn't received any answer.
In the meantime I stopped to use kannel extensively so I didn't tried
again but just created bare-bone packages from upstream for use on one
server.

It would be nice if you take maintenance over kannel to have it in
Debian repository. I'm ready to help as much as I can and have time.

> I now checked http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=paul%40dwerryhouse.com.au
> - the packages are not in particularly bad state but only one of the
> bugreports listed there has ever had a single response - back in
> 2007 - from Paul Dwerryhouse.
>
> What is the procedure for MIAs? I seem to recall that db.debian.org
> have a last-seen hint but that is only for account holders in Debian
> which Paul Dwerryhouse seem not to be.
>
> It seems that Paul maintains only the packages kannel and jwhois.
>
> If it comes to that, I can offer to take over maintainance of kannel
> but would be happy to here from others interested in co-maintaining
> it (I would want to use Git and CDBS - so you are warned ahead if
> you have special preferences for or against those tools). I have no
> interest in jwhois.
>
>
> Please cc me on responses to this mail: I am not subscribed to -devel.

--
Kind regards, Milan
 
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Jonas Smedegaard
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:05:51PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 23:01, Jonathan Wiltshire
<debian@jwiltshire.org.uk> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:57:50PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

What is the procedure for MIAs? *I seem to recall that db.debian.org
have a last-seen hint but that is only for account holders in Debian
which Paul Dwerryhouse seem not to be.


Debian QA track developers missing in action and will know if attempts to
contact him are in progress: debian-qa@lists.debian.org.


NO.

if you (both) check devref, you'll see that mia@qa.debian.org is the
right address where to sent such queries to.


Thanks for pointing me to devref!

Looking there[1], I must disagree, however: mia@seems to not be a
querying tool but rather the place to report hard evidence - of which I
have none.


I am at the prior step of vaguely asking around.


I realize now that I have failed to attempt reaching him by discrete
email. I will try that, wait a month, and just hope that Kannel will
get updated in time for Squeeze (the newer release includes utf8
support!) :-/


Now that I (too early in the procedure) have mentioned this on -devel,
let me add that I would appreciate to hear from anyone who have seen or
heard of Paul Dwerryhouse the last couple of years, and perhaps knows of
alternative means of reaching him.



Please cc me responses to this mail: I am not subscribed to -devel.

Kind regards,

- Jonas


[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#mia-qa


--
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

[x] quote me freely [ ] ask before reusing [ ] keep private
 
Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

On 17/01/10 22:57, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Hi fellow developers,

I am worried if perhaps Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au> is
Missing In Action.


Have you tried to contact him directly? If not, try to do so, and if he doesn't
answer in some time, notify the MIA team.


Cheers,
Emilio


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Christoph Berg
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

Re: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 2010-01-18 <4B5446BA.7070900@debian.org>
> >I am worried if perhaps Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au> is
> >Missing In Action.
>
> Have you tried to contact him directly? If not, try to do so, and if
> he doesn't answer in some time, notify the MIA team.

Btw, it is considered good style to Cc people when you are talking
about them.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/
 
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Charles Plessy
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

Le Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:05:52AM +0100, Milan P. Stanic a écrit :
> On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 22:57, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I am worried if perhaps Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au>
> > is Missing In Action.
> >
> > He is maintainer of kannel which I have a special interest in. For
> > some time now I have had to use an unofficial packaging of a newer
> > release due to the package in Debian being quite outdated (see
> > bug#563661). I recently packaged the kannel-sqlbox addon and plan
> > to package mbuni - but find it silly to work on a "fork" of the
> > (un?)maintained kannel.
>
> Few months ago I tried to contact him for same reason (outdated kannel
> package) but didn't received any answer.
> In the meantime I stopped to use kannel extensively so I didn't tried
> again but just created bare-bone packages from upstream for use on one
> server.

Dear Jonas,

If others like Milan did not manage to contact the package's maintainer, maybe
you can go ahead an take over the package now ? By the way, Ubuntu has already
upgraded to the latest upstream version since almost a year now, and there are
no bugs related to this upgrade, so despite the freeze is soon it may be safe
to upgrade the Debian package as well.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
"Milan P. Stanic"
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 08:05, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:05:52AM +0100, Milan P. Stanic a écrit :
> > On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 22:57, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > > I am worried if perhaps Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au>
> > > is Missing In Action.
> > >
> > > He is maintainer of kannel which I have a special interest in. For
> > > some time now I have had to use an unofficial packaging of a newer
> > > release due to the package in Debian being quite outdated (see
> > > bug#563661). I recently packaged the kannel-sqlbox addon and plan
> > > to package mbuni - but find it silly to work on a "fork" of the
> > > (un?)maintained kannel.
> > Few months ago I tried to contact him for same reason (outdated kannel
> > package) but didn't received any answer.
> > In the meantime I stopped to use kannel extensively so I didn't tried
> > again but just created bare-bone packages from upstream for use on one
> > server.
> Dear Jonas,
>
> If others like Milan did not manage to contact the package's maintainer, maybe

I tried just once because I don't like to bother people over Net.

> you can go ahead an take over the package now ? By the way, Ubuntu has already
> upgraded to the latest upstream version since almost a year now, and there are
> no bugs related to this upgrade, so despite the freeze is soon it may be safe
> to upgrade the Debian package as well.

I actually used patches from Ubuntu to build kannel for myself. I just
skipped database support because I don't need it.

And it is quite stable, it works six months for now without restart and
without any problem.

--
Kind regards, Milan
--------------------------------------------------
Arvanta, IT Security http://www.arvanta.net
Please do not send me e-mail containing HTML code.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Russell Coker
 
Default Is Paul Dwerryhouse MIA?

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> I am worried if perhaps Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au> is
> Missing In Action.

I have forwarded that email to him and SMSed him about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pfenwick/363199868/

I believe that he is currently at LCA in NZ, so any DDs at LCA might want to
speak to him about it. The above URL has a recent picture of him.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/ My Main Blog
http://doc.coker.com.au/ My Documents Blog


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org