-   -   Invitation to the BSP in Tokyo/Japan,23 January 2010 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/310191-invitation-bsp-tokyo-japan-23-january-2010-a.html)

Nobuhiro Iwamatsu 01-16-2010 11:58 AM

Invitation to the BSP in Tokyo/Japan,23 January 2010

Axel Beckert 01-16-2010 02:34 PM

Invitation to the BSP in Tokyo/Japan,23 January 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 09:58:55PM +0900, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu wrote:
> * 9:00-21:00 January 23rd, 2010
> [...]
> * RC-Bugsquashing[1].
> * Take care of bugs found by piuparts[2] and ipv6[3].

Without coordination with the BSP in Moenchengladbach[1] at the same
time, targeting the same groups of bugs is a bad idea.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/BSP2010/Moenchengladbach

We definitely need some common place to coordinate who fixes which bug
during that time. If we would have only one BSP at that date, local
coordination would be possible, but two geographically separated BSPs
need online coordination.

Only with proper coordination we can avoid to unnecessarily duplicate
a lot of important work and cause quite some developer's frustration
and wasting developers' time.

I think using a single page in the Debian wiki for both BSPs is the
best place to document the state of every bug being worked on during
the two BSPs since it provides better overview than an IRC channel.
But of course, #debian-bugs will be one of the main real-time
communcation channels for both BSPs.

Therefore I created
http://wiki.debian.org/BSP2010/CoordinationTokyoMoenchengladbach and
linked to it from both BSP pages.

> * Fix l10n issues in Japanese envrionment bugs.
> * Translate po and document to Japanese.

These issues surely don't interfere with the Moenchengladbach BSP's
focussed subjects, but of course can and should be documented on the
same wiki page. :-)

Regards, Axel
--
/~ Plain Text Ribbon Campaign | Axel Beckert
/ Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News | abe@deuxchevaux.org (Mail)

Stefano Zacchiroli 01-16-2010 02:54 PM

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 04:34:26PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Without coordination with the BSP in Moenchengladbach[1] at the same
> time, targeting the same groups of bugs is a bad idea.

IMHO, you're overestimating the _additional_ risks of having 2 BSPs at
the same time instead of one (which already has the risks you mention
per se).

First of all, it has been observed already, that a group of more than 2
DDs hacking in a single room will end up communicating on IRC :-) While
jokish, I think this defeats your argument about "local coordination" in
a single BSP. This is not meant to be polemic at all, it is just my
personal experience.

To that end, BSPs already have tools to avoid conflicts *even among the
local participant*, which are: the #debian-bugs channel you've already
mentioned and the "claim" and "comment" features in Debbugs and
bts.turmzimmer.net.

Thanks nevertheless for the coordination page!
Cheers.

Dietro un grande uomo c' ..| . |. Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
sempre uno zaino ...........| ..: |.... Je dis tu tous ceux que j'aime

Axel Beckert 01-16-2010 03:13 PM

Invitation to the BSP in Tokyo/Japan,23 January 2010

Hi Zack,

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 04:54:48PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 04:34:26PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > Without coordination with the BSP in Moenchengladbach[1] at the same
> > time, targeting the same groups of bugs is a bad idea.
>
> IMHO, you're overestimating the _additional_ risks of having 2 BSPs at
> the same time instead of one (which already has the risks you mention
> per se).

Hehe. Well, there was a slight panic on #debian.de because of the
announcement of the second BSP on that weekend. I was just the one who
formed a mail out of that panic and tried to not letting it escalate.
:-)

> First of all, it has been observed already, that a group of more than 2
> DDs hacking in a single room will end up communicating on IRC :-)

Hehe.

> While jokish, I think this defeats your argument about "local
> coordination" in a single BSP. This is not meant to be polemic at
> all, it is just my personal experience.

Yeah, I would have expected a wiki page for coordination anyway, even
for a single BSP. IIRC all BSPs I've attended so far had a wiki page
for coordinating and collecting the BSP's result. My hope was that by
acting quickly we don't end up having two such pages.

> To that end, BSPs already have tools to avoid conflicts *even among
> the local participant*, which are: the #debian-bugs channel you've
> already mentioned and the "claim" and "comment" features in Debbugs
> and bts.turmzimmer.net.

Ah, right, I knew I had forgotten something. Thanks for that hint!

Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org, abe@noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/

Nobuhiro Iwamatsu 01-16-2010 10:53 PM

2010/1/17 Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org>:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 09:58:55PM +0900, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu wrote:
>> * 9:00-21:00 January 23rd, 2010
>> [...]
>> * RC-Bugsquashing[1].
>> * Take care of bugs found by piuparts[2] and ipv6[3].
>
> Without coordination with the BSP in Moenchengladbach[1] at the same
> time, targeting the same groups of bugs is a bad idea.
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/BSP2010/Moenchengladbach
>
> We definitely need some common place to coordinate who fixes which bug
> during that time. If we would have only one BSP at that date, local
> coordination would be possible, but two geographically separated BSPs
> need online coordination.
>
> Only with proper coordination we can avoid to unnecessarily duplicate
> a lot of important work and cause quite some developer's frustration
> and wasting developers' time.

Yes, I think too.
We knew that Moenchengladbach BSP was held on the same day.
And we are going to adjust it in IRC(#debian-bug) and bts.turmzimmer.net each other.
It is my clumsiness that did not write these.

> I think using a single page in the Debian wiki for both BSPs is the
> best place to document the state of every bug being worked on during
> the two BSPs since it provides better overview than an IRC channel.
> But of course, #debian-bugs will be one of the main real-time
> communcation channels for both BSPs.
>
> Therefore I created
> http://wiki.debian.org/BSP2010/CoordinationTokyoMoenchengladbach and
> linked to it from both BSP pages.
>
>> * Fix l10n issues in Japanese envrionment bugs.
>> * Translate po and document to Japanese.
>
> These issues surely don't interfere with the Moenchengladbach BSP's
> focussed subjects, but of course can and should be documented on the
> same wiki page. :-)

Thank you for create the coordination page.

Best regards,
Nobuhiro
- --
Nobuhiro Iwamatsu