Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Joachim Breitner

Default Debian Packaging advancements

[CC’ing debian-devel because this is partly a call for contributions :-]

Hi,

today, I continued in my quest to make a proper Debian package out of
Serna. For now, I ignored the issue of the convenience code copies in
the source code and focused on getting a properly buildable package. The
four really required 3rd party tarballs are shipped in debian/3rd.

http://git.nomeata.de/?p=serna.git;a=summary contains the current state.

I started to use git-dpm[1] for packaging. This means that my changes
against the upstream (which is SVN trunk, revision 139) is stored in
debian/patches:
http://git.nomeata.de/?p=serna.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches;hb=refs/heads/master
Some of those can probably applied to the SVN directory directly, such
as 0017-Working-exports.lst-even-if-list-is-empty.patch. The others
should be reviewd and improved – I’m not an experienced C++ hacker.
Especially the 64bit stuff is just a hack and needs to made working
generally.

The debian packages does not have build-dependencies yet. If someone
wants to help assemble the correct set of packages (using pbuilder and
trial’n’error, that would be appreciated).

The serna binary is installed into /usr/bin/, the rest is put
in /usr/lib/serna. The binary is compiled with rpath so that the bundles
libs can be put in /usr/lib/serna/lib. I tried hard to make serna accept
this, but the patch that I try to use does not seem to be sufficient.
Any comments welcome:
http://git.nomeata.de/?p=serna.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/0020-Hardcode-usr-lib-serna-as-DataDir.patch;hb=HEAD

I also started to work on the debian/copyright file, which is naturally
a large beast. Again, help is appreciated:
http://git.nomeata.de/?p=serna.git;a=blob;f=debian/copyright;hb=HEAD

All in all I thought would have gotten further in one whole day, and
motivation is fading again. Contributions by others are a good way to
increase motivation again :-).

Good night,
Joachim

[2] http://git-dpm.alioth.debian.org/

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

Old 01-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Andrew Sichevoi

Hello*Joachim,
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> * * * 2. AUTHORS file. Could you please update installation script/makefile to copy AUTHORS to

> * * * * * /usr/share/serna-free/ when Serna from the package is installed?

According to Debian standards it should be installed

to /usr/share/doc/serna. Is there a technical reason for the AUTHORS

file to reside in /usr/share/serna-free/?

** No reasons, that was a typo. *I meant /usr/share/serna/. Thanks.*

I got a new minor patch at the usual location. The subversion repository

has files in 3rd/qt/icons, but make clean removes them.

http://git.nomeata.de/?p=serna.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/0034-Do-not-clean-3rd-qt-icons.patch;h=974b3057556ce1ca54bd2b30819f837765da 38de;hb=39494e49d26fe2dc41af9450e31fcffa6cfda3db

**Thanks, I will add this patch to the queue.*
I also got a reply by the ftp-masters. They rejected the upload because

the .orig.tar.gz ball which I created from SVN trunk contained the file

docbook-xsl-1.68.1.tar.bz2. I spotted that before and thought I removed

it, but not from the tarball. I will re-upload today with that file

removed from the tarball. I if there is no real need for it, it should

be removed from SVN, the other 3rd-party-components are also not in the

subversion tree.
*Thanks, I will forward this issue to Syntext.*
Andrew Sichevoi (http://thekondor.net)

true perfection has to be imperfect

Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Andrew Sichevoi

Hello*Joachim,
** *some updates:** * * 1. Almost all patches were applied to the internal branch and they work fine. Great work! Serna is built on Ubuntu 9.10 w/o any critical problem so I reported Syntext about that. Now all patches will be revised and after QA I hope they become the part of Serna trunk/.
** * * 2. Patches that hardcode paths ([0028-0032]) most probably will not be applied to the trunk. Since Syntext supports other platforms (Mac, Windows tm), these patches may break the building process (one *working* repository for all platforms). Hence all patches might be stored in debian/patches/ dir in the trunk (I think this will be discussed a bit later)
** * * 3. Could you please explain your latest patch (0034: Do not clean 3rd/qt/icons)? Why they should not be cleaned up? Are they used somewhere?