Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM
"Andrzej Borucki"

Default My warning about Lenny

Thanks,

> If you installed "Graphical desktop environment" a graphical
> login-manager is started and you should be able to switch "session" to
> get either gnome or kde.

How to install "Graphical desktop environment" ? I can't install find gde.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Martin Wuertele

* Andrzej Borucki <borucki_andrzej@wp.pl> [2010-01-10 21:09]:

> Thanks,
>
> > If you installed "Graphical desktop environment" a graphical
> > login-manager is started and you should be able to switch "session" to
> > get either gnome or kde.
>
> How to install "Graphical desktop environment" ? I can't install find gde.

man tasksel

HTH Martin

Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Joey Hess

Martin Wuertele wrote:
> > I am beginner in Linux. I install Debian 5.0.3 "Lenny". I have several warnings:
> > - in install I can't choose Gnome or Kde
>
> "Graphical desktop environment" will install both

This is not the case in Debian 5.0. Nor was it the case with Debian 4.0.
Debian 3.1 (2005) was the last one to do that.

To install KDE, at the installer's boot menu, choose:

Advanced Options > Alternative desktop environments > KDE

Or, download the "KDE CD", which contains KDE and installs it
automatically.
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.3/i386/iso-cd/debian-503-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

Or, press Tab and add "tasksel/desktop=kde" to the kernel command line.

--
see shy jo

Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Joey Hess

Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Frans Pop

Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Andrzej Borucki <borucki_andrzej@wp.pl> [2010-01-10 19:58]:
>> I am beginner in Linux. I install Debian 5.0.3 "Lenny". I have several
>> warnings: - in install I can't choose Gnome or Kde
>
> "Graphical desktop environment" will install both, however you can go
> without "Graphical desktop environment" and then install either gnome or
> kde with aptitude, synaptics or whatever your preferred apt frontend is.

That's not so, but has already been corrected by Joey.

>> - in installed system I can't choose between Gnome or Kde - is any
>> possibility?
>
> If you installed "Graphical desktop environment" a graphical
> login-manager is started and you should be able to switch "session" to
> get either gnome or kde.

Or simply install just one or the other using either the correct tasks or
the correct meta packages.

>> - Debian pack 6 DVD but only first can be readed in installation
>
> Did you verify the disks? You can use apt-cdrom to add the other disks
> anytime when needed. Usually the first DVD is enough for average
> installations.

apt-cdrom is only useful *after* the installation, but Debian Installer
itself also supports installing from multiple CDs or DVDs. It will ask if
you want you scan additional CD/DVDs after you have entered the root
password and the info for the first user account.

Cheers,
FJP

Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Frans Pop

Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Martin Wuertele

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2010-01-10 23:23]:

> This is not the case in Debian 5.0. Nor was it the case with Debian 4.0.
> Debian 3.1 (2005) was the last one to do that.

Interesting. Tasksel on my Squeeze box still does that.

Yours, Martin

Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Martin Wuertele

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Frans Pop

(Moving this to the d-boot list. Please reply to that list only.)

Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2010-01-10 23:23]:
>
>> This is not the case in Debian 5.0. Nor was it the case with Debian 4.0.
>> Debian 3.1 (2005) was the last one to do that.
>
> Interesting. Tasksel on my Squeeze box still does that.

It really shouldn't, and it doesn't for me in sid. We've also had no other
reports of that happening.

How exactly did you determine that it does?
The best way to check is to select both "Graphical desktop environment" and
"manual package selection" and then check the list shown in aptitude
of "Packages to be installed" (not the ones to be installed automatically
as dependencies).

There is only way it can do that: if at some point you preseeded a the
debconf template 'tasksel/desktop' to install both. But that's unlikely.
What's the output of 'debconf-show tasksel | grep "/desktop"'?

Cheers,
FJP

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Frans Pop