FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Jonatan Dimotta
 
Default Optimus Gnu-Linux

I used the google traslator i think it is very good the traslation, but forgive me if you don't understand something.

Most PC users when trying to learn about GNU / Linux are lost for several reasons: many distributions, those who can recommend a number and the person ends up not deciding any, rumors of bad shareability with some pieces of hardware, the Select some distribution, the computer runs slower, and so on.*


I was working on this project quite some time but my knowledge is rather limited (if not what I would done), even do private to make money with the idea but after recalling the spirit of free software. This project is basically an interactive free online service where the user enters the website, run a wizard and it automatically detects the computer's hardware, then the user chooses basic options such as programs, orientation of the final operating system and optimized low, with the specific software for your pc and the kernel compiled automatically. So that the final size of the discharge may be much less than the current distrubuciones, more efficient and easier. Also users who want to enter the world of GNU / Linux instead of spending hours figuring out which distribution you choose, down one to your specifications and ready.*


In broader aspects is not only lower the kernel compiled automatically on your pc, if not adjust and specify various areas to leverage resources to maximum, point to Programs, Web browsers, desktop, disk partition, orientation, etc. . This would include a program to install everything automatically and an integrated program to this Web service, which can be updated, recompiling the kernel if you purchase new hardware and see new style similar to iTunes (say an example).*


In the following site: http://www.debian-mx.com/2008/07/linux-kernel-hasta-que-punto-monolitico-hasta-que-punto-microkernel/ can now see how the Linux kernel is growing to a critical point where it is becoming big, slow and heavy, even Linus Trovals believes that every day is worse. (http://alt1040.com/2009/09/linus-torvalds-considera-que-linux-es-grande-lento-y-pesado). However, not only is the kernel, if not the services "as a person with a pentium 3 and with just a decent video card you can install any of the major current distributions taking up the bluetooth services enabled by default? With this project by analyzing the PC before downloading the operating system can eliminate a lot of programs and unnecessary services, such as having bluetooth service enabled by default on a pentium 3 and / or have the webcam working without being hours starting head trying to find drivers for it. It could clarify the list of drivers and would universally sharable for all distributions.*


This new system should start as armed from the website. Where it should have an intuitive, simple and 2.0. You can upload manuals to the degree of user knowledge.*Respect to the wizzard, there is a page that detects the hardware: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/ could be based on this method and add other steps such as:*


Guidance and Services*Would you chose to start the computer type: Server, desktop, portable storage, designed for any particular use (the study of music, multimedia, etc.).. Here you can pre-set programs, though the intent of this project is not for programs for each user if not optimizing resource efficiency Choose software-as specific as possible eg Gimp desktop in Gnome.*


GUI / Desktop*Recommend a type of desktop to the PC hardware but offer all the alternatives. Even so modify any remaining basic and efficient, not wasting resources on images to icons or buttons, several bars, panels, etc.. Without ceasing to be aesthetically attractive and visually clean.*


Partition Type*Currently unaware of ext4 and performance, but a few years ago was better for large files partition reiserfs xfs and boys. It could be agreed and using a certain partition to boot (grub, lilo, etc.) according to the hardware features to recommend one.*


Compilation*In the last stage of the wizard do not know if they could build a kernel and armed with all the options and compiled, or if you have to download all files in a program then compile everything in the installation.*


One could add other steps but the best would be few simple steps. Automatically detect the type of architecture. It goes without saying that the site would be translated into several languages and software that is down as much as possible in the language chosen.*


I hope I have explained the idea well and that there are people interested in developing it, know where to publish it because why start a blog and publish it there (http://jonidimo.blogspot.com) and send to this list, do not know whether to put forums or other pages and other languages. I await your response even if my idea is stupid and impossible to do from now thank you very much. Jonatan
 
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Frank Lin PIAT
 
Default Optimus Gnu-Linux

Hello,

[This is my personal opinion...]

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 06:17 -0300, Jonatan Dimotta wrote:

> This project is basically an interactive free online service where the
> user enters the website, run a wizard and it automatically detects the
> computer's hardware, then the user chooses basic options such as
> programs, orientation of the final operating system and optimized low,
> with the specific software for your pc and the kernel compiled
> automatically. So that the final size of the discharge may be much
> less than the current distrubuciones, more efficient and easier.

The recommended way to install Debian is to download the "Netinst",
which is 180MB. The webpage says:
| _Download_a_minimal_bootable_CD_image_:
| Are you sure you really need the full CDs? You can just get the basic
| installation system - it will download the rest of the distribution
| if and when needed during the installation.

> Also users who want to enter the world of GNU / Linux instead of
> spending hours figuring out which distribution you choose, down one to
> your specifications and ready.

Quite off topic here. Debian only provide Debian material
Jounalists, bloggers and Wikipedia could/should help choosing. A
dedicated website may help. You could suggest people at distrowatch.com

> In broader aspects is not only lower the kernel compiled automatically
> on your pc, if not adjust and specify various areas to leverage
> resources to maximum, point to Programs, Web browsers, desktop, disk
> partition, orientation, etc. . This would include a program to install
> everything automatically and an integrated program to this Web
> service, which can be updated, recompiling the kernel if you purchase
> new hardware and see new style similar to iTunes (say an example).

Keep in mind that changing a computer isn't always planned. In real
life, people tend to change computer when the old one fails.

Debian provides flexible kernel, XWindow... that can adapt to lots of
different configuration without a change. Usually, you can simply move
the hard disk from the old machine to the new one, and voilą.

This is a feature I wouldn't give up, not even if I know that my
computer could be 10% faster with specifically crafted software.

(Observation/Myth: If you compare two computers, the faster being 10%
faster than the other, it means that that take 1 second on a slow
computer would take 0.9 second on the faster computer... Personally, I
wouldn't notice the difference. See Moore's law[1])

> In the following site:
> http://www.debian-mx.com/2008/07/linux-kernel-hasta-que-punto-monolitico-hasta-que-punto-microkernel/ can now see how the Linux kernel is growing to a critical point where it is becoming big, slow and heavy, even Linus Trovals believes that every day is worse.

Well, ok. Linus and kernel developers are facing a new challenge. I am
pretty sure they will face and fix it.

For the rest of your email, there are many good ideas. You are welcome
to implement it ;-)

Franklin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Russell Coker
 
Default Optimus Gnu-Linux

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Jonatan Dimotta <jonidimo@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, not only is the kernel, if not the services "as a person with a
> pentium 3 and with just a decent video card you can install any of the
> major current distributions taking up the bluetooth services enabled by
> default? With this project by analyzing the PC before downloading the
> operating system can eliminate a lot of programs and unnecessary services,
> such as having bluetooth service enabled by default on a pentium 3 and / or
> have the webcam working without being hours starting head trying to find
> drivers for it. It could clarify the list of drivers and would universally
> sharable for all distributions.

I am writing this message on a Pentium-M laptop - which is essentially a
1.7GHz version of the Pentium-3 core.

My mail server is a Xen DomU on a Celeron 2.4GHz. The overall capacity of the
system is less than some of the SMP P3 systems I used to run when a 1.3GHz P3
was a good server CPU.

The chipset of most Desktop P3 systems will limit you to 512M of RAM. This is
the biggest limit on a P3. I don't think that there are many things that you
can't do with a typical P3 system that has been upgraded fully.

There are some things that can be improved, desktop environments tend to drag
in some daemons that really should be optional - particularly if you have the
installation of "recommends" enabled (the default).

But I don't think we need to change anything significantly unless we want to
get decent performance on a system with less than 128M of RAM - which is
considerably less than is typical of a P3.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/ My Main Blog
http://doc.coker.com.au/ My Documents Blog


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org