Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Dirk Eddelbuettel

Default Lintian error on- rpath: Would like an exemption

littler (aka 'r') is a small wrapper around GNU R that Jeff Horner and I
released in 2006 and have been maintaining since. It is similar to Rscript
(which appeared a little later as part of base R) but implemented differently
-- we query a lot of the environment at build time and encode this. And we
also use an -rpath against R's main dynamic library. As a consequence, we
start faster than either Rscript or R.

And I was about to make a new upstream release, but now see

E: littler: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/r

and can no longer override this. This is too strict as littler has only one
purpose purpose: wrap around R for faster and lighter starts in scripting,
direct evaluation, one-liner etc.

And on Debian I can control where R lives, depend on the package etc pp.
This is a legitimate use of -rpath, and I would like to upload this. Without
getting the package rejected. Can I?

Dirk

Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Dirk Eddelbuettel

Never mind. Lintian 1, Dirk 0 -- I actually had one redundant / empty entry in
there which was a minor bug. Now fixed, and 0.1.3 should be on its merry ways
shortly.

Dirk

Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:58:36PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> littler (aka 'r') is a small wrapper around GNU R that Jeff Horner and I
> released in 2006 and have been maintaining since. It is similar to Rscript
> (which appeared a little later as part of base R) but implemented differently
> -- we query a lot of the environment at build time and encode this. And we
> also use an -rpath against R's main dynamic library. As a consequence, we
> start faster than either Rscript or R.
>
> And I was about to make a new upstream release, but now see
>
> E: littler: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/r

$ objdump -p /usr/bin/r |grep RPATH
RPATH /usr/lib64/R/lib:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jni:/usr/lib/libfakeroot:/usr/lib64/libfakeroot:/usr/lib32/libfakeroot

And you only seem to be using libraries from /lib, /usr/lib and /usr/lib/R/lib.

I think lintian is right to complain.

Anyway, I think that /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so really should be in
/usr/lib/ and that you shouldn't need an rpath at all.

Kurt

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Dirk Eddelbuettel

Kurt,

Thanks for taking the time to follow-up on this.
On 8 January 2010 at 22:04, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
| On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:58:36PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > littler (aka 'r') is a small wrapper around GNU R that Jeff Horner and I
| > released in 2006 and have been maintaining since. It is similar to Rscript
| > (which appeared a little later as part of base R) but implemented differently
| > -- we query a lot of the environment at build time and encode this. And we
| > also use an -rpath against R's main dynamic library. As a consequence, we
| > start faster than either Rscript or R.
| >
| > And I was about to make a new upstream release, but now see
| >
| > E: littler: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/r
|
| $ objdump -p /usr/bin/r |grep RPATH
| RPATH /usr/lib64/R/lib:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jni:/usr/lib/libfakeroot:/usr/lib64/libfakeroot:/usr/lib32/libfakeroot
|
| And you only seem to be using libraries from /lib, /usr/lib and /usr/lib/R/lib.
|
| I think lintian is right to complain.
|
| Anyway, I think that /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so really should be in
| /usr/lib/ and that you shouldn't need an rpath at all.

A few quick comments:

i) There are several entries because I (at compile time) deconstruct the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set by /usr/bin/R (a shell script) used to load R from
/usr/lib/R/bin/exec/, this uses /usr/lib/R/lib. We could strip every
thing but /usr/lib64/R/lib and the Java libs, but why bother

ii) /usr/lib/R/lib (or /usr/lib64/R/lib) is needed and will not move,
unless someone (you ?) convinces R Core to change it. (Hint: Won't
happen). This is how it is, this has been discussed before and you
are kindly invited to read up on the old discussions.

iii) /usr/bin/r, for which I am 1/2 of upstream, won't change either because
this embedding of R is its whole point (vis-a-vis the shellscript /usr/bin/R)

My post was a false alert anyway; I had one actual bug with an 'empty' entry
and that has been fixed.

Cheers, Dirk