Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Joachim Wiedorn

Default quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Hello,

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, tangke wrote:
> > why not apply the patches when build automatically,
>
> This is the case when you build the source package (i.e. dpkg-source does
> it if it was not yet done).
>
> > and make clean to unapply the patches?
>
> The clean process is controlled by the maintainer. You could in theory
> unapply the patch there.

Now I must use quilt for apply and unapply the patches. I think this way
is transparent.

But there is one problem:
If I had unapplied all patches of debian/patches and later I start with
debuild, then dpkg-source works with the unpatched sources - it doesn't
apply the patches as in format 1.0. Is there a chance that dpkg-source
see the patches and can recognize that they must be applied before run
further?

Fondest regards,
Joachim Wiedorn

Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Raphael Hertzog

It does this already as I said, quoting the dpkg-source manual page:
| [...] dpkg-source will apply the patches by itself
| if it believes that they have not yet been applied. To detect this situation, it
| uses the following heuristic: it finds the list of supposedly unapplied patches
| (they are listed in the series file but not in .pc/applied-patches), and if the
| first patch in that set can be applied without errors, it will apply them all. The
| option --no-preparation can be used to disable this behaviour.

But dpkg-source is only called when you build the source package so
it works for "debuild/debuild -S" but not for "debuild -b/debuild -B".

Cheers,
--
RaphaŽl Hertzog