Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Default ITA: dict-gcide

Hi,

I have ITAed the package dict-gcide because I use it.
I don't have much idea about lexical databases (that being one of the reason
adopting it), so hope to gather some help here.

The copyright file lists that the copy of GCIDE is archived. I am not very sure
who the current upstream is and if this database is still actively maintained.

There have been many bugfixes to typos and definitions but I don't see a
debian/patches folder. Is Debian the only distribution packaging it now ?
Currently there are 19 open bug reports against this package. If I intend to
fix them, where do I submit the patches ?

This package was orphaned more than 2 years ago and the previous maintainer
(Bob Hilliard) seems to be in-active.

PS: CCing the DDs who have NMUed this package in the past.

Regards,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com

Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Clint Adams

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 05:24:48PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> The copyright file lists that the copy of GCIDE is archived. I am not very sure
> who the current upstream is and if this database is still actively maintained.

It is not. Upstream abandoned GCIDE on the grounds that WordNet is a free
dictionary that is actively maintained, and so GCIDE was no longer necessary.
I feel that WordNet is of poor quality and largely inadequate, so I disagree.

> There have been many bugfixes to typos and definitions but I don't see a
> debian/patches folder. Is Debian the only distribution packaging it now ?
> Currently there are 19 open bug reports against this package. If I intend to
> fix them, where do I submit the patches ?

You don't. You will be effectively maintaining a fork. You might consider
changing the name.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Hello Clint,

On Tuesday 15 Dec 2009 23:43:45 Clint Adams wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 05:24:48PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > The copyright file lists that the copy of GCIDE is archived. I am not
> > very sure who the current upstream is and if this database is still
> > actively maintained.
>
> It is not. Upstream abandoned GCIDE on the grounds that WordNet is a free
> dictionary that is actively maintained, and so GCIDE was no longer
> necessary. I feel that WordNet is of poor quality and largely inadequate,
> so I disagree.

Me too. While Wordnet is pretty decent, GCIDE still has a more comprehensive
database in my opinion.

> > There have been many bugfixes to typos and definitions but I don't see a
> > debian/patches folder. Is Debian the only distribution packaging it now ?
> > Currently there are 19 open bug reports against this package. If I intend
> > to fix them, where do I submit the patches ?
>
> You don't. You will be effectively maintaining a fork. You might consider
> changing the name.

Sure. Looks like a good candidate to start a new project with ?
Especially since it contains more than 8 decades of data which can stand of
value even if just archived and maintained.

Probably we just host it on alioth and let interested parties contribute to
and use it.

Any suggestions on a different name ? Or should we just use the old one ?

Regards,
Ritesh

Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Pablo Duboue

Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Hi Pablo,

On Wednesday 16 Dec 2009 13:49:18 Pablo Duboue wrote:

> RS> Probably we just host it on alioth and let interested parties
> contribute to RS> and use it.
>
> RS> Any suggestions on a different name ? Or should we just use the old one
> ?
>
> What about GCIDE2? And what about merging in wiktionary?

Merging wiktionary would definitely be great. But that'd be a tough task.

In fact, I am not sure if we should even maintain a fork. Maintaining it (as a
hosted project) as upstream is going to be a herculean task. It will require a
lot of effort, time and commitment to it. Also, I don't think I have the
necessary skill set to maintain a project of this magnitude as upstream. I am
a user for it but upstream maintenance is going to be a different thing.

For the current database that it is, IMO NMUing it, as has been happening
might be the best bet. This way we don't lose this software (and all the data
it brings with it).

But if there are many people with interest in it to maintain, I think we could
set up a team and work together.

Regards,
Ritesh

Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Kartik Mistry

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> wrote:
> But if there are many people with interest in it to maintain, I think we could
> set up a team and work together.

Lets do it. I'm in.
(however, with having huge number of packages holding in my arm, I'll
be occasional uploader (until you become DD ) or bug-fixer. Fine?)

--
Cheers,
Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_

Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Russell Coker

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> wrote:
> Sure. Looks like a good candidate to start a new project with ?
> Especially since it contains more than 8 decades of data which can stand of
> value even if just archived and maintained.
>
> Probably we just host it on alioth and let interested parties contribute to
> and use it.

As long as those 8 decades of data are not tainted. The GCIDE entries that
originate from the 1913 Webster dictionary are very useful. There will
always be a demand for historic definitions. I would rather see some older
dictionaries split out and preserved.

It would be good if someone scanned some old dictionaries that are out of
copyright for historical purposes. I would also like to have old
encyclopedias available, Wikipedia is great, but it's also good to know the
historic definitions of terms and descriptions of the world as it was 100+
years ago.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/ My Main Blog