-   -   SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/295442-spamassassin-run-alioth-but-its-results-ignored.html)

12-15-2009 04:12 AM

SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored

SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored.
The spam, though detected, is not separated out from the stream.

We have tried over and over to get in touch with anybody in charge.

Maybe somebody reading debian-devel can tell an Alioth administrator.

http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.linux.debian.devel.eeepc/thread=2462

Stephen Gran 12-15-2009 08:30 AM

This one time, at band camp, jidanni@jidanni.org said:
> SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored.
> The spam, though detected, is not separated out from the stream.

This is isn't actually true, so the I've so far ignored the rest of your
mail.

Cheers,
| ,'`. Stephen Gran |
| : :' : sgran@debian.org |
| `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
| `- http://www.debian.org |

12-16-2009 03:21 AM

$ GET http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.eeepc/2539/raw |grep X-Spam-Status

Raphael Hertzog 12-16-2009 10:01 PM

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> >> SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored.
> >> The spam, though detected, is not separated out from the stream.
>
> SG> This is isn't actually true
>
> $ GET http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.eeepc/2539/raw |grep X-Spam-Status

hertzog@alioth:~$ grep ^SApermreject /etc/exim4/sa-exim.conf
SApermreject: 12.0
SApermrejectSavCond: 1
SApermrejectsave: /var/spool/sa-exim/SApermreject

Only those with a score above 12 are rejected.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Stephen Gran 12-16-2009 10:12 PM

SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored

This one time, at band camp, jidanni@jidanni.org said:
> >> SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored.
> >> The spam, though detected, is not separated out from the stream.
>
> SG> This is isn't actually true
>
> $ GET http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.eeepc/2539/raw |grep X-Spam-Status

(I don't know why we're having this discussion on -devel, but)

2009-12-07 21:27:19 1NHl6v-0006Ak-OI SA: Action: flagged as Spam but accepted: score=9.2 required=5.0 (scanned in 5/5 secs | Message-Id: 5201899751.20091208002714@l3377l.com). From <fanfold@l3377l.com> (host=orsondv.mdp2.net [89.111.164.221]) for debian-eeepc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

I know it seems an awful lot like trying to help yourself instead of
just complaining until someone fixes it for you, but you can look at
the world readable exim configuration and the sa-exim configuration file
to figure out the threshholds that are set for the whole of alioth, and
you can ask the list admin to filter on the spam score.

But, of course, whatever works for you.

Carl Fürstenberg 12-16-2009 11:03 PM

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 00:12, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:

> (I don't know why we're having this discussion on -devel, but)
>
> 2009-12-07 21:27:19 1NHl6v-0006Ak-OI SA: Action: flagged as Spam but accepted: score=9.2 required=5.0 (scanned in 5/5 secs | Message-Id: 5201899751.20091208002714@l3377l.com). From <fanfold@l3377l.com> (host=orsondv.mdp2.net [89.111.164.221]) for debian-eeepc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
>
> I know it seems an awful lot like trying to help yourself instead of
> just complaining until someone fixes it for you, but you can look at
> the world readable exim configuration and the sa-exim configuration file
> to figure out the threshholds that are set for the whole of alioth, and
> you can ask the list admin to filter on the spam score.
>
> But, of course, whatever works for you.
> --

I would like to point out some things here:
1. The original poster might not be an DD, and thus doesn't have shell
access to the servers in question (please correct me if I'm wrong
here)
2. The normal interpretation of "required" gives an impression that
the spam filter isn't activated in this particular mail, so it's
understandable for me to think so
3. I feel your attitude isn't well suited for an Debian developer. Try
be more helpful instead of sounding like a dick.

--
/Carl Fürstenberg <azatoth@gmail.com>

Ben Hutchings 12-16-2009 11:13 PM

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 01:03 +0100, Carl Fürstenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 00:12, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > (I don't know why we're having this discussion on -devel, but)
> >
> > 2009-12-07 21:27:19 1NHl6v-0006Ak-OI SA: Action: flagged as Spam but accepted: score=9.2 required=5.0 (scanned in 5/5 secs | Message-Id: 5201899751.20091208002714@l3377l.com). From <fanfold@l3377l.com> (host=orsondv.mdp2.net [89.111.164.221]) for debian-eeepc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
> >
> > I know it seems an awful lot like trying to help yourself instead of
> > just complaining until someone fixes it for you, but you can look at
> > the world readable exim configuration and the sa-exim configuration file
> > to figure out the threshholds that are set for the whole of alioth, and
> > you can ask the list admin to filter on the spam score.
> >
> > But, of course, whatever works for you.
> > --
>
> I would like to point out some things here:
> 1. The original poster might not be an DD, and thus doesn't have shell
> access to the servers in question (please correct me if I'm wrong
> here)

You're wrong, this is Alioth.

> 2. The normal interpretation of "required" gives an impression that
> the spam filter isn't activated in this particular mail, so it's
> understandable for me to think so
> 3. I feel your attitude isn't well suited for an Debian developer. Try
> be more helpful instead of sounding like a dick.

If this was the first bug report from jidanni, sure, but jidanni is a
regular bug reporter and really ought to have learned better by now.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Hoare's Law of Large Problems:

12-17-2009 01:05 AM

SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored

Re: http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/thread=147634
Thank you all for your attention to this issue and allowing us to
finally find people in charge for
http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.linux.debian.devel.eeepc/thread=2462

Now what is needed is for the spam threshold for
debian-eeepc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org to be lowered from 12 which
is way too high, certainly higher than some quite low spam groups I
recall seeing on lists.debian.org at least, to something more sane.

Indeed, perhaps adjust the SpamAssassin required_score instead of
internal settings outsiders cannot be aware of, and then simply act on

I vote for required_score 2, any less and then even yours truly's
messages wouldn't get through :-)

I'm not aware what notification rejected messages get, if indeed they
should at all get...

Hector Oron 12-17-2009 01:27 PM

SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored

Hello,

2009/12/17 Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 01:03 +0100, Carl Fürstenberg wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 00:12, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:
>> 3. I feel your attitude isn't well suited for an Debian developer. Try
>> be more helpful instead of sounding like a dick.
>
> If this was the first bug report from jidanni, sure, but jidanni is a
> regular bug reporter and really ought to have learned better by now.

I had the ocasion to meet jidanni in one of his talks on bug reporting
[1]. The paper of a bug reporter is not patching or anything else but
point the problem. I think most of his reports are well written and
provide enough hits to reproduce the issues, but why people have this
*odd* feeling on him? I personally do not know, I can understand it,
but he is not doing anything bad, just helping to improve the
system/infrastructure, etc...

Take in mind, that some people work offline or with modem lines, which
retrieving lots of MB for source to patch it is quite a bit of time.

I also feel hurt, when people that I personally know gets treated this
way. Please, be kind! :-)

[1] http://jidanni.org/comp/bug_reporter.html

--
Héctor Orón

"Bernhard R. Link" 12-18-2009 12:23 PM

SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored

* Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> [091217 15:27]:
> I had the ocasion to meet jidanni in one of his talks on bug reporting
> [1]. The paper of a bug reporter is not patching or anything else but
> point the problem.

100% agreed

> I think most of his reports are well written and
> provide enough hits to reproduce the issues,

Well, while there are some well-written reports and many
valuable hints, there is also quite a mass of very lousy bug reports
from him.

> but why people have this *odd* feeling on him?

I think part of it is selective perception. We do not usually look
at the report but only at the report. So his sensible reports are
usually not remembered to be from him. But if you get an extremly
bad report, you look at the reporter address and have a guessed chance
of 50% to see his address there.

Another part is of course our striving for perfection. I guess the same
mechanism that cause some people to have very strong feelings against
people with really many packages with some very badly maintained under
them, comes into play here:
Doing many bad bugreports easily outperforms many tolerable ones
with respect to the feelings you cause.

Hochachtungsvoll,
Bernhard R. Link
--
"Never contain programs so few bugs, as when no debugging tools are available!"
Niklaus Wirth