Old 01-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Thomas Viehmann

Default wxWidgets2.4

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> * Package name : libalien-wxwidgets-perl
But please don't add packages for WxWindows2.4 reverse dependencies[1].

While I can see why the release team is reluctant to add getting rid of
wxwindows2.4 as a release goal in terms of rendering existing packages RC buggy
just because of that, I am surprised to see that increasing the number of
reverse dependencies (jugglemaster was introduced as a new package in late
November 2007) after half at least half a year of off and on efforts to
eliminate dependencies.

Unless we want to support wxWindows2.4 for lenny (which I don't think anyone is
actually proposing) we should get serious about descreasing the number of
reverse dependencies.

Kind regards

T.

1. http://wiki.debian.org/GetRidOfWxWindows2.4
--
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/

Old 01-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Roberto C. Sánchez

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:55:06AM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > * Package name : libalien-wxwidgets-perl
> But please don't add packages for WxWindows2.4 reverse dependencies[1].

(unstable)miami:/var/lib/chroot/pbuilder-sid/results# dpkg --info libalien-wxwidgets-perl_0.32-1_i386.deb
new debian package, version 2.0.
size 18094 bytes: control archive= 873 bytes.
488 bytes, 12 lines control
916 bytes, 11 lines md5sums
Package: libalien-wxwidgets-perl
Version: 0.32-1
Architecture: i386
Maintainer: Debian Perl Group <pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 124
Depends: libwxgtk2.6-dev
Section: perl
Detects configuration settings of an installed wxWidgets. Can be used in
order to help in the process of building modules which require wxWidgets.

> While I can see why the release team is reluctant to add getting rid of
> wxwindows2.4 as a release goal in terms of rendering existing packages RC buggy
> just because of that, I am surprised to see that increasing the number of
> reverse dependencies (jugglemaster was introduced as a new package in late
> November 2007) after half at least half a year of off and on efforts to
> eliminate dependencies.
>
> Unless we want to support wxWindows2.4 for lenny (which I don't think anyone is
> actually proposing) we should get serious about descreasing the number of
> reverse dependencies.

No wx2.4 dependencies or reverse dependencies here :-)

I am packaging this because it is needed by libwx-perl, which I am also
packaging. As far as I can tell, both happily work wx2.6.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez