Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 AM
"Nikita V. Youshchenko"

Default Unversioned .so file in /usr/lib vs dh_makeshlibs vs postinst-must-call-ldconfig

Hi

I tried to prepare and NMU to fix an RC bug #553111, which is
postinst-must-call-ldconfig.

I found that adding missing call to dh_makeshlibs does not fix the issue,
because package installs a private shared library to /usr/lib/libxxx.so,
and dh_makeshlibs does not add call to ldconfig to postinst/postrm if it
finds unversioned libraries.

Is that a bug in debhelper, or in lintian (i.e. postinst-must-call-ldconfig
is false-positive)?

I guess ldconfig should be called even if package installs unversioned
libraries, since ldconfig not only adds symlinks but also
updates /etc/ld.so.cache.

Nikita

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Julien Cristau

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 13:33:17 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> Hi
>
> I tried to prepare and NMU to fix an RC bug #553111, which is
> postinst-must-call-ldconfig.
>
> I found that adding missing call to dh_makeshlibs does not fix the issue,
> because package installs a private shared library to /usr/lib/libxxx.so,
> and dh_makeshlibs does not add call to ldconfig to postinst/postrm if it
> finds unversioned libraries.
>
> Is that a bug in debhelper, or in lintian (i.e. postinst-must-call-ldconfig
> is false-positive)?

I'd say it's a bug in the package because private objects shouldn't be
installed in /usr/lib directly. lintian should probably use a different
tag for this, though.

Cheers,
Julien