Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Josselin Mouette

Default leftover /usr/X11R6 references

Le vendredi 20 novembre 2009 * 17:41 -0500, Joey Hess a écrit :
> /usr/X11R6 is gone but code trying to use it lives on.
>
> Today I noticed gnome-settings-daemon doing this every 2 seconds for an unknown
> reason that I have not yet tracked down:
>
> inotify_add_watch(20, "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11", IN_MODIFY|IN_ATTRIB|IN_CLOSE_WRITE|IN_MOVED_FROM|I N_MOVED_TO|IN_CREATE|IN_DELETE|IN_DELETE_SELF|IN_M OVE_SELF|IN_UNMOUNT|IN_ONLYDIR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

It’s probably the fontconfig monitor, checking
whether /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts appears, since this directory is
referenced in fonts.conf.

Of course it’s not expected to do that every 2 seconds, it should only
do it upon startup.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Julien Cristau

Package: libxcursor1
Version: 1:1.1.9-1

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 17:41:32 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> /usr/X11R6 is gone but code trying to use it lives on.

[...]

> Binary file libXaw.so.7 matches
> Binary file libXaw7.so.7 matches
> Binary file libXaw7.so.7.0.0 matches

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libXaw/tree/src/Pixmap.c#n671

static char *default_path =
"%H/%T/%N:%P/include/X11/%T/%N:/usr/X11R6/include/X11/%T/%N:/usr/include/X11/%T/%N:%N";

Shouldn't be a problem because /usr/include/X11 comes first (%P is /usr).

> Binary file libXcursor.so.1 matches
> Binary file libXcursor.so.1.0.2 matches

debian/rules: --with-cursorpath=~/.icons:$${datadir}/icons:/usr/share/pixmaps:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons

No idea why we still have this, this should probably be fixed.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Michal Čihař

Hi

Dne Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:41:32 -0500
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> napsal(a):

> Binary file librpm.so.0 matches
> Binary file librpm.so.0.0.0 matches

lib/psm.c:static const char * const SCRIPT_PATH = "PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin";

I don't think it causes any harm.

> There are probably more references total than can be sensibly removed,
> but perhaps it would be worth adding some targeted lintian checks to warn about
> uses in places, like libraries, where it probably indicates the library is
> doing unnecessary work of including the directory in a search path?

Is this really worth of diversion from upstream?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Mikhail Gusarov

Twas brillig at 03:00:27 21.11.2009 UTC+01 when nijel@debian.org did gyre and gimble:

>> There are probably more references total than can be sensibly removed,
>> but perhaps it would be worth adding some targeted lintian checks to warn about
>> uses in places, like libraries, where it probably indicates the library is
>> doing unnecessary work of including the directory in a search path?

MČ> Is this really worth of diversion from upstream?

It worth reporting to upstream and sending patches.

--
http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/

Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Michal Čihař

Hi

Dne Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:10:54 +0600
Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag@dottedmag.net> napsal(a):

> Twas brillig at 03:00:27 21.11.2009 UTC+01 when nijel@debian.org did gyre and gimble:
>
> >> There are probably more references total than can be sensibly removed,
> >> but perhaps it would be worth adding some targeted lintian checks to warn about
> >> uses in places, like libraries, where it probably indicates the library is
> >> doing unnecessary work of including the directory in a search path?
>
> MČ> Is this really worth of diversion from upstream?
>
> It worth reporting to upstream and sending patches.

Is really /usr/X11R6 deprecated everywhere? I'm afraid it's just FHS.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM
"George Danchev"

Quoting "Michal Čihař" <nijel@debian.org>:

Hi

Dne Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:10:54 +0600
>> There are probably more references total than can be sensibly removed,
>> but perhaps it would be worth adding some targeted lintian
checks to warn about
>> uses in places, like libraries, where it probably indicates the
library is

>> doing unnecessary work of including the directory in a search path?

MČ> Is this really worth of diversion from upstream?

It worth reporting to upstream and sending patches.

Is really /usr/X11R6 deprecated everywhere? I'm afraid it's just FHS.

it is FHS, but it is optional.