Old 11-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Joey Hess

Default leftover /usr/X11R6 references

/usr/X11R6 is gone but code trying to use it lives on.

Today I noticed gnome-settings-daemon doing this every 2 seconds for an unknown
reason that I have not yet tracked down:

inotify_add_watch(20, "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11", IN_MODIFY|IN_ATTRIB|IN_CLOSE_WRITE|IN_MOVED_FROM|I N_MOVED_TO|IN_CREATE|IN_DELETE|IN_DELETE_SELF|IN_M OVE_SELF|IN_UNMOUNT|IN_ONLYDIR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

That led to this:

joey@gnu:/usr/lib>grep usr/X11R6 *.so.*
Binary file libQtGui.so.4 matches
Binary file libQtGui.so.4.5 matches
Binary file libQtGui.so.4.5.3 matches
Binary file libSDL-1.2.so.0 matches
Binary file libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.2 matches
Binary file libXaw.so.7 matches
Binary file libXaw7.so.7 matches
Binary file libXaw7.so.7.0.0 matches
Binary file libXcursor.so.1 matches
Binary file libXcursor.so.1.0.2 matches
Binary file libgd.so.2 matches
Binary file libgd.so.2.0.0 matches
Binary file libgksu2.so.0 matches
Binary file libgksu2.so.0.0.2 matches
Binary file libjack.so.0 matches
Binary file libjack.so.0.0.28 matches
Binary file libjackserver.so.0 matches
Binary file libjackserver.so.0.0.28 matches
Binary file libkdeui.so.5 matches
Binary file libkdeui.so.5.3.0 matches
Binary file libnetpbm.so.10 matches
Binary file libnetpbm.so.10.0 matches
Binary file libqt-mt.so.3 matches
Binary file libqt-mt.so.3.3 matches
Binary file libqt-mt.so.3.3.8 matches
Binary file librpm.so.0 matches
Binary file librpm.so.0.0.0 matches

And anywhere I look I can find more:

root@gnu:/etc>git grep usr/X11R6 | wc -l
52
root@gnu:/usr/lib>grep usr/X11R6 -r .
./python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:library_dirs = /usr/X11R6/lib
[...]

There are probably more references total than can be sensibly removed,
but perhaps it would be worth adding some targeted lintian checks to warn about
uses in places, like libraries, where it probably indicates the library is
doing unnecessary work of including the directory in a search path?

--
see shy jo