Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

Default nexuiz-data does not fit on a single CD

Package: nexuiz-data
Version: 2.5.2-1
Severity: serious

Any reason for not reporting this as a proper bug? Doing that with this
post.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:36:10AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Umm...
>
> Package: nexuiz-data
> Installed-Size: 782252

Dear maintainer,
the Debian CD team (in the person of Steve McIntyre) has noted the
enormous size of nexuiz-data, which means the package won't fit on a
single CD. I'm setting severity serious because this de facto means the
package cannot be distributed to our CD users. I agree that the severity
can be controversial since we have other ways of distributing packages;
feel free to downgrade, better if after discussion with the release team
(even better by reducing the size ;-))

Cheers.

Dietro un grande uomo c' ..| . |. Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
sempre uno zaino ...........| ..: |.... Je dis tu tous ceux que j'aime

Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Gustavo Noronha Silva

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 14:00 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> the Debian CD team (in the person of Steve McIntyre) has noted the
> enormous size of nexuiz-data, which means the package won't fit on a
> single CD. I'm setting severity serious because this de facto means the
> package cannot be distributed to our CD users. I agree that the severity
> can be controversial since we have other ways of distributing packages;
> feel free to downgrade, better if after discussion with the release team
> (even better by reducing the size ;-))

This is silly. I haven't seen bug reports about packages not fitting in
diskettes, and it would not make any sense if they were filed! =).

The world moved on, CDs are getting too small. It's a technical
limitation which can be overcome by using the network, or bigger media,
such as DVDs. While I think blacklisting the package for CDs is a
pragmatical decision, making the package smaller should be just
desirable, not a (specially RC!) bug.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
Debian

Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Ben Armstrong

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:59:07 -0200
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 14:00 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> This is silly. I haven't seen bug reports about packages not fitting in
> diskettes, and it would not make any sense if they were filed! =).

I thought this was why we had dpkg-split, so not exactly the same
problem.

> The world moved on, CDs are getting too small. It's a technical
> limitation which can be overcome by using the network, or bigger media,
> such as DVDs. While I think blacklisting the package for CDs is a
> pragmatical decision, making the package smaller should be just
> desirable, not a (specially RC!) bug.

Or supporting dpkg-split for this case too? But probably not worth the
effort for just a handful of packages that arguably would benefit from
being broken into more manageable-sized packages anyway.

Ben
--
,-. nSLUG http://www.nslug.ns.ca synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
`' Debian http://www.debian.org synrg@debian.org

Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 14:00 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> the Debian CD team (in the person of Steve McIntyre) has noted the
>> enormous size of nexuiz-data, which means the package won't fit on a
>> single CD. I'm setting severity serious because this de facto means the
>> package cannot be distributed to our CD users. I agree that the severity
>> can be controversial since we have other ways of distributing packages;
>> feel free to downgrade, better if after discussion with the release team
>> (even better by reducing the size ;-))
>
> This is silly. I haven't seen bug reports about packages not fitting in
> diskettes, and it would not make any sense if they were filed! =).
>
> The world moved on, CDs are getting too small. It's a technical
> limitation which can be overcome by using the network, or bigger media,
> such as DVDs. While I think blacklisting the package for CDs is a
> pragmatical decision, making the package smaller should be just
> desirable, not a (specially RC!) bug.

Ack. People which use computers which did not came with a DVD reader built in
are probably not able to play nexuiz anyway as it needs a pretty fastCPU and
graphics card to be fun

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F