Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM
"Li, Yan"

Default Anjal package needs RPATH, which is considered an error

Dear List,

I'm facing an issue when packaging the Anjal [1] mail client for
Debian.

Anjal is another GUI front-end for Evolution designed for small form
factor devices. So naturally Anjal depends upon many .so libraries in
the Evolution package. But those .so libraries is considered private
by Evolution so they are installed in /usr/lib/evolution/2.28. To use
them Anjal is built by using RPATH that point to
/usr/lib/evolution/2.28, and this is considered by lintian to be an
error (it was warning before).

Evolution upstream developers don't agree to move those Evolution .so
libraries into /usr/lib since they are private, should not be used by
other programs and there's no intention to maintain a stable API of
them. Anjal is considered a part of Evolution project so the API
between Anjal and Evolution will be maintained by Evo upstream.

So any suggestions on how can I package Anjal for Debian and use the
.so files in the evolution package?

My idea is to create symlinks of those libraries in
/usr/lib/anjal/0.1/
so Anjal won't need to use RPATH that point to
/usr/lib/evolution/2.28/.
Though I'm not sure if this is a clean way.

Thank you very much.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Anjal/

--
Li, Yan

Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Mike Hommey

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 04:17:57PM +0800, Li, Yan wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm facing an issue when packaging the Anjal [1] mail client for
> Debian.
>
> Anjal is another GUI front-end for Evolution designed for small form
> factor devices. So naturally Anjal depends upon many .so libraries in
> the Evolution package. But those .so libraries is considered private
> by Evolution so they are installed in /usr/lib/evolution/2.28. To use
> them Anjal is built by using RPATH that point to
> /usr/lib/evolution/2.28, and this is considered by lintian to be an
> error (it was warning before).
>
> Evolution upstream developers don't agree to move those Evolution .so
> libraries into /usr/lib since they are private, should not be used by
> other programs and there's no intention to maintain a stable API of
> them. Anjal is considered a part of Evolution project so the API
> between Anjal and Evolution will be maintained by Evo upstream.
>
> So any suggestions on how can I package Anjal for Debian and use the
> .so files in the evolution package?
>
> My idea is to create symlinks of those libraries in
> /usr/lib/anjal/0.1/
> so Anjal won't need to use RPATH that point to
> /usr/lib/evolution/2.28/.
> Though I'm not sure if this is a clean way.

Why not put a lintian override ? Your explanation sounds like a good
reason to me.

Mike

Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 AM
"Li, Yan"

Mike:
> Why not put a lintian override ? Your explanation sounds like a good
> reason to me.

Thank you. I'm contacting Lintian maintainers.

--
Li, Yan

Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Patrick Matthäi