Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Minimal kernel version raised to 2.6.27

Due to changes in udev 147, squeeze will not support kernels earlier
than 2.6.27.

If your packages have code needed to support old kernels, this is the
right time to clean it up.

This means that lenny->squeeze upgrades will use the same lockstep
kernel/udev upgrade method used for etch->lenny upgrades.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Andres Salomon

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:08:08 +0100
md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:

> Due to changes in udev 147, squeeze will not support kernels earlier
> than 2.6.27.
>
> If your packages have code needed to support old kernels, this is the
> right time to clean it up.
>
> This means that lenny->squeeze upgrades will use the same lockstep
> kernel/udev upgrade method used for etch->lenny upgrades.

Since it's seeming more and more common for udev to be tied to specific
kernel versions, have you considered allowing major versions of udev
to be installed in parallel?

Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Julien Cristau

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:27:16 -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:08:08 +0100
> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
>
> > Due to changes in udev 147, squeeze will not support kernels earlier
> > than 2.6.27.
> >
> > If your packages have code needed to support old kernels, this is the
> > right time to clean it up.
> >
> > This means that lenny->squeeze upgrades will use the same lockstep
> > kernel/udev upgrade method used for etch->lenny upgrades.
> >

> Since it's seeming more and more common for udev to be tied to specific
> kernel versions, have you considered allowing major versions of udev
> to be installed in parallel?

This is nothing udev-specific here. It's just a random userspace app
using syscalls that didn't exist in earlier kernels and bailing instead
of falling back properly (which would be trivial).

Cheers,
Julien

Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM

On Nov 10, Andres Salomon <dilinger@collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> Since it's seeming more and more common for udev to be tied to specific
> kernel versions, have you considered allowing major versions of udev
> to be installed in parallel?
Yes, it would not work because they also tend to be incompatible with
older configurations and so packages would need to provide two sets of
configuration files (for a start).
But it's not just this, other packages also depend on features only
present in recent versions of udev so there is no way out.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Philipp Kern

On 2009-11-10, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
>> Since it's seeming more and more common for udev to be tied to specific
>> kernel versions, have you considered allowing major versions of udev
>> to be installed in parallel?
> Yes, it would not work because they also tend to be incompatible with
> older configurations and so packages would need to provide two sets of
> configuration files (for a start).

Uh, so the reboot to get a newer kernel before the upgrade could possibly fail
due to outdated configuration files by packages which are not upgraded yet?

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Steve Langasek

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 06:08:08PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Due to changes in udev 147, squeeze will not support kernels earlier
> than 2.6.27.

> If your packages have code needed to support old kernels, this is the
> right time to clean it up.

No, it isn't. Packages need to support the 2.6.26 kernel from lenny to
ensure smooth upgrades. udev ought to as well, but if it can't, that's
still not precedent for making other parts of the upgrade path more fragile.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM

On Nov 10, Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de> wrote:

> > Yes, it would not work because they also tend to be incompatible with
> > older configurations and so packages would need to provide two sets of
> > configuration files (for a start).
> Uh, so the reboot to get a newer kernel before the upgrade could possibly fail
> due to outdated configuration files by packages which are not upgraded yet?
No, the problem is with newer packages depending on a newer version of
udev. Backward incompatibility should not happen, but it can be solved
with Breaks directives.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Bastian Blank

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 06:08:08PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Due to changes in udev 147, squeeze will not support kernels earlier
> than 2.6.27.

What are these changes?

> If your packages have code needed to support old kernels, this is the
> right time to clean it up.

No.

> This means that lenny->squeeze upgrades will use the same lockstep
> kernel/udev upgrade method used for etch->lenny upgrades.

Please explain.

Bastian

--
She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n! The batteries are dead!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Adam Majer

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 07:56:16AM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 06:08:08PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Due to changes in udev 147, squeeze will not support kernels earlier
> > than 2.6.27.
>
> What are these changes?

Seems it is related to signalfd4 syscall.

- Adam

[1] - http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commitdiff;h=1da6c797fdbb94372c1a809acf 1a0ca159b2d7b1

[2] - http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;f=udev/udevd.c

Old 11-11-2009, 09:47 AM