Old 01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Steve McIntyre

Default Opinions needed: reporting lintian overrides

Russ wrote:

>* Show the N: line with a count of overrides per package by default and
> provide an option to suppress this output if someone wants.
>
>* Don't show the N: line by default and provide an option to turn it on.
>
>Which should we do?

As you might expect (as I was the requester for this feature) I'd
*really* prefer the former option. My initial reasoning for it is that
I want to make it immediately visible to sponsors if a package has
suppressed lintian warnings. If it's not the default behaviour to list
them, then I'd be worried that some people just won't notice.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Lars Wirzenius

On la, 2008-01-05 at 13:43 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> As you might expect (as I was the requester for this feature) I'd
> *really* prefer the former option. My initial reasoning for it is that
> I want to make it immediately visible to sponsors if a package has
> suppressed lintian warnings. If it's not the default behaviour to list
> them, then I'd be worried that some people just won't notice.

This might be too much DWIM, but... supposed lintian would, by default,
report the number of suppressed warnings, but only if the person running
it is not the maintainer? Lintian could use the same logic for
determining the name/address as dch does.

Additionally, there should then be options like
--never-summarize-overrides and --always-summarize-overrides.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On la, 2008-01-05 at 13:43 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > As you might expect (as I was the requester for this feature) I'd
> > *really* prefer the former option. My initial reasoning for it is that
> > I want to make it immediately visible to sponsors if a package has
> > suppressed lintian warnings. If it's not the default behaviour to list
> > them, then I'd be worried that some people just won't notice.
>
> This might be too much DWIM, but... supposed lintian would, by default,
> report the number of suppressed warnings, but only if the person running
> it is not the maintainer? Lintian could use the same logic for
> determining the name/address as dch does.

I like that.

So if DEBEMAIL/EMAIL doesn't match Maintainer/Uploaders then you get to see the
N: lines.

> Additionally, there should then be options like
> --never-summarize-overrides and --always-summarize-overrides.

Indeed.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Old 01-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Russ Allbery

> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

>> This might be too much DWIM, but... supposed lintian would, by default,
>> report the number of suppressed warnings, but only if the person
>> running it is not the maintainer? Lintian could use the same logic for
>> determining the name/address as dch does.

> I like that.
>
> So if DEBEMAIL/EMAIL doesn't match Maintainer/Uploaders then you get to
> see the N: lines.

I'm afraid this would require a significant restructuring of lintian's
code and isn't really viable for the next release. The part of lintian
that is in a position to warn about overrides doesn't have any idea who
the maintainer is.

It will be easier in the future, so I could revisit this later.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Thijs Kinkhorst

On Saturday 5 January 2008 14:43, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> As you might expect (as I was the requester for this feature) I'd
> *really* prefer the former option. My initial reasoning for it is that
> I want to make it immediately visible to sponsors if a package has
> suppressed lintian warnings. If it's not the default behaviour to list
> them, then I'd be worried that some people just won't notice.

I think that a sponsor should review candidate packages more than just running
lintian over them. If I get a completely new package to review I examine at
least all files in the debian/ dir closely. If it's an update to a package I
sponsored before, I at least debdiff it with the archive version, then added
overrides would come up aswell.

Wrong overrides should be caught by proper package review. Sometimes one slips
through - bad luck then, it's not the end of the world. I don't think that
lintian should be verbose about legitimate attempts to make it less verbose.
It defeats the point, really.

Thijs

Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Steve McIntyre

Thijs wrote:
>On Saturday 5 January 2008 14:43, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> As you might expect (as I was the requester for this feature) I'd
>> *really* prefer the former option. My initial reasoning for it is that
>> I want to make it immediately visible to sponsors if a package has
>> suppressed lintian warnings. If it's not the default behaviour to list
>> them, then I'd be worried that some people just won't notice.
>
>I think that a sponsor should review candidate packages more than just running
>lintian over them. If I get a completely new package to review I examine at
>least all files in the debian/ dir closely. If it's an update to a package I
>sponsored before, I at least debdiff it with the archive version, then added
>overrides would come up aswell.

You do that; I do that; it seems not all sponsors are quite so
diligent. :-( If we can make it easier for people to pick up on
errors, I think this is a good idea.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
Mature Sporty Personal