Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Kurt Roeckx

Default List of packages which should probably be Architectu all

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 01:38:32PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Hello Kurt,
>
> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 01:17:24PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I've written a script which tries to detect packages which should
> >> be
> >> architecture all based on the fact that they don't contain a
> >> Depends
> >> field.
> >
> > Your list seems to contain alot of packages that do have a Depends
> > field.
>
> Like which one? I used a lot of grepping so maybe something was left
> in.

As already pointed out by some others, you should list the binary
packages instead of the source packages. It's rather confusing like
this.

> Anibal Avelar (Fixxxer) <aavelar@cofradia.org>
> centerim

That should be centerim-common

> Loic Dachary (OuoU) <loic@debian.org>
> unittest++ (U)

libunittest++0

> Johan Euphrosine (proppy) <proppy@aminche.com>
> unittest++

libunittest++0

> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
> gss (U)

libgss-dbg, false positive

> shishi (U)

shishi-dbg, false positive

Kurt

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Joey Hess

Interesting idea, though so few packages lack dependencies that it won't
catch much. Perhaps grepping for package that don't depend on any shared
libraries would catch more?

Raphael Geissert wrote:
> maximilian attems <maks@debian.org>
> klibc
> linux-2.6 (U)

heh

> Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org>
> iproute (U)

Has dependencies.

> busybox

depends on libc6

> debian-installer

Arch all so that d-i boot images will autobuild.

> discover1

depends on libc6

> os-prober

Contains architecture-dependent shell scripts, like many other d-i
udebs.

--
see shy jo

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Cyril Brulebois

On 02/01/2008, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Forgot to mention that, based on the binary-amd64 Packages file of the
> main, contrib and non-free sections.

> I didn't check the content of the packages because that's something
> linda/lintian should do

Wondering why, I asked what they were supposed to catch:
20:51:10 [ KiBi] Atomo64: What are linda/lintian supposed to catch?
20:51:49 [ KiBi] That an Architecture: any package rightfully contains architecture-dependent data?
20:51:57 [ Atomo64] KiBi: !arch: all packages not containing any arch-dependent file

You might have missed the point, trying again: your list contains plenty
of “Architecture: any” packages that are *rightfully* “any” because they
*do* contain architecture-dependant stuff (see e.g. icecc as already
pointed out).

> this is just a simple/quick list of packages and as I said it may
> contain some false positives (although there's usually a reason/bug
> causing the package to be listed).

Maybe there's rather a bug in your process. Instead of speaking of
“plenty of greps”, you might want to expose the code / algorithm you
used.

--
Cyril Brulebois

Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Pierre Habouzit

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:58:24PM +0000, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
> libgss-dbg (U)
> shishi-dbg (U)

rriiiight...

--
O Pierre Habouzit
O madcoder@debian.org

Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Hubert Chathi

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:17:24 -0600, Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> said:

> Hello all, I've written a script which tries to detect packages which
> should be architecture all based on the fact that they don't contain a
> Depends field. This is usually bug either because of a missing
> Depends or because the package should be Architecture: all.

Maybe you want to make this into a lintian test?

[...]

> Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org>
> gnustep-make (U)

This package only contains data files (makefile snippets, shell scripts,
etc.), but the contents of the data files vary depending on what
architecture it was built on, since it needs to control building for the
right environment.

--
Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA http://www.uhoreg.ca/

Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Raphael Geissert

Hello Joey,

Joey Hess wrote:
> Interesting idea, though so few packages lack dependencies that it won't
> catch much. Perhaps grepping for package that don't depend on any shared
> libraries would catch more?

Nice idea, though I'll first wait for everybody to read my last message
(I wonder why dd-list goes the source packages way when the ones provided
in the input are nothing but binary packages).

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Pierre Habouzit

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:04:44PM +0000, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:58:24PM +0000, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
> > libgss-dbg (U)
> > shishi-dbg (U)
>
> rriiiight...

Though after a second thought, -dbg should probably not have empty
Depends line.

--
O Pierre Habouzit
O madcoder@debian.org

Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Raphael Geissert

Pierre Habouzit wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:58:24PM +0000, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
>> libgss-dbg (U)
>> shishi-dbg (U)
>
> rriiiight...

-dbg package without a Depends? that sounds like a bug (please read my first
message).

Depends: sishi
Depends: libgss0
?

Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 01:58:24PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:

> Just to clarify to everybody, the list was screwed up by dd-list (my bad,
> didn't see the '-b' option part). Thanks to Adeodato for pointing that out.
> So, here's the list of binary packages (attachment is dd-list -u again).

This list looks alot better, but still seems to contains atleast
1 that have a Depends field:

> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org>
> libgnomecanvas2-0 (U)

Kurt

Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Cyril Brulebois

On 02/01/2008, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Though after a second thought, -dbg should probably not have empty
> Depends line.

After a third thought, I still fail to see what that has to do with
being Architecture: all or any.

--
Cyril Brulebois