Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Josselin Mouette

Default Missing gconf schema

Le jeudi 19 mars 2009 Ă* 11:12 -0700, Ludovico Cavedon a Ă©crit :
> are application using gconf *required* to have provide a schema?
> In other words, does it make sense to file a bug against applications
> which fail to do so?

Theoretically, any application should work without its schemas
installed. Upstream considers it a bug otherwise. Practically speaking,
we are far from there and it’s safer to consider them required.

In all cases, it is really annoying to not have the schema installed,
because the default will be often incorrect, and there is no
documentation about the keys’ meaning.

--
.'`. Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :

Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Ludovico Cavedon

2009/3/19 Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
> Le jeudi 19 mars 2009 Ă* 11:12 -0700, Ludovico Cavedon a Ă©crit :
>> are application using gconf *required* to have provide a schema?
>> In other words, does it make sense to file a bug against applications
>> which fail to do so?
>
> Theoretically, any application should work without its schemas
> installed. Upstream considers it a bug otherwise. Practically speaking,
> we are far from there and it’s safer to consider them required.
>
> In all cases, it is really annoying to not have the schema installed,
> because the default will be often incorrect, and there is no
> documentation about the keys’ meaning.

Ok, so I guess a whishlist bug would be acceptable for missing schema.

Thank you for your answer,
Ludovico

Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le lundi 23 mars 2009 Ă* 10:58 -0700, Ludovico Cavedon a Ă©crit :
> > Theoretically, any application should work without its schemas
> > installed. Upstream considers it a bug otherwise. Practically speaking,
> > we are far from there and it’s safer to consider them required.
> >
> > In all cases, it is really annoying to not have the schema installed,
> > because the default will be often incorrect, and there is no
> > documentation about the keys’ meaning.
>
> Ok, so I guess a whishlist bug would be acceptable for missing schema.

I’d say this is at least an important bug.