Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Luca Capello

Default User and groups justification (was group nvram)

Hi there!

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:16:05 +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Bastien ROUCARIES
> <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW instead of arguing about group and something like this could we
>> create a wiki page on debian wiki about justification of group.
>> Therefore purpose of every system group will documented. With exemple
>> of security concern.
>
> Done under http://wiki.debian.org/SystemGroups Please contribute

Do you know that a similar document is already installed on any Debian
system (provided by the base-passwd package)?

/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/user-and-groups.html
/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/user-and-groups.txt.gz

I would prefer any new information to be added there instead, since the
files above are available offline as well.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Bastien ROUCARIES

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:16:05 +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Bastien ROUCARIES
>> <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> BTW instead of arguing about group and something like this could we
>>> create a wiki page on debian wiki about justification of group.
>>> Therefore purpose of every system group will documented. With exemple
>>> of security concern.
>>
>> Done under http://wiki.debian.org/SystemGroups Please contribute
>
> Do you know that a similar document is already installed on any Debian
> system (provided by the base-passwd package)?

I forget :S

> */usr/share/doc/base-passwd/user-and-groups.html
> */usr/share/doc/base-passwd/user-and-groups.txt.gz
>
> I would prefer any new information to be added there instead, since the
> files above are available offline as well.

Does not forbid to add to wiki in order to ease writing I agree we
should sync the offline file.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:34:44AM +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:
> > I would prefer any new information to be added there instead, since the
> > files above are available offline as well.
>
> Does not forbid to add to wiki in order to ease writing I agree we should
> sync the offline file.

If you do so please bear in mind that doc/* in the base-passwd package is
licensed GPL-2 and Debian wiki pages have no automatic explicit copyright
exceptions (i.e. default to all rights reserved). See
<http://wiki.debian.org/Maintainers> for an example of how to specify an
explicit license for a new page (and the linked
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki/LicencingTerms> for context and history)

--
Jon Dowland

Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Bastien ROUCARIES

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Jon Dowland
<jon+debian-devel@alcopop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:34:44AM +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:
>> > I would prefer any new information to be added there instead, since the
>> > files above are available offline as well.
>>
>> Does not forbid to add to wiki in order to ease writing I agree we should
>> sync the offline file.
>
> If you do so please bear in mind that doc/* in the base-passwd package is
> licensed GPL-2 and Debian wiki pages have no automatic explicit copyright
> exceptions (i.e. default to all rights reserved). See
> <http://wiki.debian.org/Maintainers> for an example of how to specify an
> explicit license for a new page (and the linked
> <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki/LicencingTerms> for context and history)

Done.

Thank you

Bastien