Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Martin Meredith

Default Where to put in Menu?

Hi there,

Looking over the lintian reports for katapult, I've noticed that the
Apps/Tools section seems to be missing now from the menu system (yes, I
know I'm a bit late - but better late than never!)

Anyway, I can't see a suitable alternative for katapult, any ideas?

(Please reply to list + myself incase I miss this in the flood of
mailing list traffic)

Regards,
Mez

Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Russ Allbery

Martin Meredith <mez@ubuntu.com> writes:

> Looking over the lintian reports for katapult, I've noticed that the
> Apps/Tools section seems to be missing now from the menu system (yes, I
> know I'm a bit late - but better late than never!)
>
> Anyway, I can't see a suitable alternative for katapult, any ideas?
>
> (Please reply to list + myself incase I miss this in the flood of
> mailing list traffic)

It looks like katapult is a launcher, which seems like a gap in the
current menu policy. I don't see a good category for applications that
launch other applications.

I'd probably use Applications/File Management as the closest compromise,
but I'm cc'ing the menu maintainer in case he has another suggestion.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Martin Meredith

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 18:32 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Martin Meredith <mez@ubuntu.com> writes:
>
> > Looking over the lintian reports for katapult, I've noticed that the
> > Apps/Tools section seems to be missing now from the menu system (yes, I
> > know I'm a bit late - but better late than never!)
> >
> > Anyway, I can't see a suitable alternative for katapult, any ideas?
> >
> > (Please reply to list + myself incase I miss this in the flood of
> > mailing list traffic)
>
> It looks like katapult is a launcher, which seems like a gap in the
> current menu policy. I don't see a good category for applications that
> launch other applications.
>
> I'd probably use Applications/File Management as the closest compromise,
> but I'm cc'ing the menu maintainer in case he has another suggestion.

I'm guessing that gnome-do, kommando, and some others would come under a
similar place in the menu, could it possibly be worth adding a new
subsection?