Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Frank Lin PIAT

Default DebianWiki migrated

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 23:33 +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Wiki engine migrated
> > ====================
>
> Thanks for the work!
>
> > Also, the GUI editor is now disabled, because moinmoin 1.7 use an old
> > version of fckeditor which would have been a security problem. We are
> > working to find a solution.
>
> If I remember right, the GUI editor messed up several pages, so it was
> recommended not to use it (and I always hated it with a passion....)

Quite a few users choose moinmoin because it have a gui editor.

> so the question is if it is really needed to have it enabled again.

Finding bugs and fixing bugs... that's the game.

Franklin

Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Ben Finney

Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> writes:

> Wiki engine migrated
> ====================
>
> The DebianWiki team is pleased to announce that the wiki is now
> running moinmoin 1.7, which brings many new features (see [1] and
> [2]).

Thanks very much!

One of the new features announced in MoinMoin 1.7 is OpenID
authentication. Could this please be enabled on the Debian wiki?

--
“An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind.” —Mahatma |
` Gandhi |

Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Paul Wise

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> One of the new features announced in MoinMoin 1.7 is OpenID
> authentication. Could this please be enabled on the Debian wiki?

That would likely make it much harder to fix #385797 - Wiki does not
have a license.

I think once we've sorted that out, enabling OpenID will be a reasonable idea.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Ben Finney

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
> > One of the new features announced in MoinMoin 1.7 is OpenID
> > authentication. Could this please be enabled on the Debian wiki?
>
> That would likely make it much harder to fix #385797 - Wiki does not
> have a license.

I don't see how the use of a different authentication system
intersects with that bug at all. Can you elaborate what you think the
issue is?

--
“I have a microwave fireplace in my house. The other night I |
` laid down in front of the fire for the evening in two minutes.” |

Old 03-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Paul Wise

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> I don't see how the use of a different authentication system
> intersects with that bug at all. Can you elaborate what you think the
> issue is?

I'm making an uneducated guess that allowing editing by people we
cannot contact will be bad for licencing the wiki since we need to
contact people to be able to give pages a license. The current
authentication mechanism requires an email address so there is a
decent chance we'll be able to contact people for this purpose.
Unfortunately the address isn't validated with some kind of
challenge-response mechanism so much of this argument is bogus, my
hope is that most people will have a real, working email address in
their wiki account.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Ben Finney

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> I'm making an uneducated guess that allowing editing by people we
> cannot contact will be bad for licencing the wiki since we need to
> contact people to be able to give pages a license. The current
> authentication mechanism requires an email address so there is a
> decent chance we'll be able to contact people for this purpose.

No problem. Using OpenID for authentication doesn't prevent a
registration process that needs some other details. It even supports
it with “attribute exchange”, so that people can (if they choose to)
have the registration process re-use the email address they've already
got recorded with their OpenID provider.

--
“Some subjects are so serious that one can only joke about |
` them.” —Niels Bohr |

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:44:06PM +0100, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 23:33 +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Wiki engine migrated
> > > ====================
> >
> > Thanks for the work!
> >
> > > Also, the GUI editor is now disabled, because moinmoin 1.7 use an old
> > > version of fckeditor which would have been a security problem. We are
> > > working to find a solution.
> >
> > If I remember right, the GUI editor messed up several pages, so it was
> > recommended not to use it (and I always hated it with a passion....)
>
> Quite a few users choose moinmoin because it have a gui editor.

I have header in page requesting not to use GUI since it mess up things.

> > so the question is if it is really needed to have it enabled again.
>
> Finding bugs and fixing bugs... that's the game.

If some flag at the start of page can switch on/off GUI feature or any
other feature, it is optimal for everyone.

Osamu

Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Holger Levsen

Hi,

On Montag, 16. Mrz 2009, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > If I remember right, the GUI editor messed up several pages, so it was
> > recommended not to use it (and I always hated it with a passion....)
> Quite a few users choose moinmoin because it have a gui editor.

Fair enough..

> > so the question is if it is really needed to have it enabled again.
> Finding bugs and fixing bugs... that's the game.

As long as "doing arbitrary whitespace changes without being asked for" is
considered a bug grave enough not to re-enable it, I like this game :-)

regards,
Holger, who relies on being able to read the diff - the new link to the diff
in the mail is a nice feature, btw :-) So thanks for the upgrade from me too!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:14:54PM +0900, Paul Wise wrote:
> I'm making an uneducated guess that allowing editing by people we
> cannot contact will be bad for licencing the wiki since we need to
> contact people to be able to give pages a license. The current
> authentication mechanism requires an email address so there is a
> decent chance we'll be able to contact people for this purpose.

I see the argument, but I don't see a direct link with the problem.

I'm assuming that the problem with the wiki license is present *now*
because we had no license in the beginning and now we want to find
one, right? I hope that before doing that move, we will have decided a
license meant to stay so in the future for ever (similar problem of
all not-so-small wiki), right?

Then it would be enough to have a disclaimer, an information, or
whatever it takes, that makes clear that from now on content goes
under a given license. This way all new contributions will have the
new license (possibly with dual-licensing with the old content which
is being modified) and you don't care about being able to contact
contributors.

Cheers.

PS no, I don't want to start *here* the discussion about which license
to choose. I know there are people taking care of it in more
appropriate discussion places.

Dietro un grande uomo c' ..| . |. Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
sempre uno zaino ...........| ..: |.... Je dis tu tous ceux que j'aime

Old 03-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Gerfried Fuchs

Am Montag, den 16.03.2009, 21:29 +0100 schrieb Frank Lin PIAT:
> The DebianWiki team is pleased to announce that the wiki is now running
> moinmoin 1.7, which brings many new features (see [1] and [2]).

IMHO this announcement should have gone to debian-devel-announce - but
nevertheless, thanks for the fine work.

So long!
Rhonda