Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Josselin Mouette

Default Splitting of the gnome-python* source packages - MBF

Hi,

the gnome-python, gnome-python-desktop and gnome-python-extras packages
are collections of Python modules that are not necessarily related. It
was more and more requested to split them more logically, and this is
what I have done now that upstream plans are a bit clearer.

According to the changes in the binary packages, maintainers now need to
update their dependencies. The result of an automatic search of which
packages import which modules can be found on the wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/GnomePythonSplitting
(I can provide the very ugly scripts to run on merkel to generate such
things on demand.)

1. GNOME-PYTHON

What is in unstable now:
* python-gconf contains the gconf module
* python-gnome2 contains the gnomevfs, gnome, gnome.ui,
gnomecanvas, and bonobo modules

What will change upstream:
* It’s very likely that gnome-python is deprecated upstream when
GNOME 3.0 is released.
* The gconf module will then probably move in a new source
package, as it is the only of these APIs that is not going away.

What changes to apply to Debian packages:
* If your package only uses gconf and not the other modules, you
should switch it to only depend on python-gconf. It will
immediately reduce the list of library dependencies, and will
help reducing it further later on.
* The python-gnome2 → python-gconf dependency will remain, so no
need to update the other packages.

I propose to file wishlist bugs on the packages that can move to using
python-gconf.

2. GNOME-PYTHON-DESKTOP

What is in unstable now:
* Every module has been moved to its own package.
* The python-gnome2-desktop package is now only a metapackage.

What will change upstream:
* It’s likely that some modules will disappear (gnomeprint,
gtksourceview, nautilusburn), while most won’t.

What changes to apply to Debian packages:
* To ease management of the multiple modules, the
python-gnome2-desktop metapackage is *going away* before the
squeeze release.
* All packages must be updated to not depend on
python-gnome2-desktop but on the individual modules.

I propose to file important bugs on all packages depending on
python-gnome2-desktop, making them RC once the package is removed (not
until at least a few months, though).

3. GNOME-PYTHON-EXTRAS

What is happening in unstable:
* egg.trayicon, gtkhtml2 and gtkmozembed each have their own
binary package (python-eggtrayicon, python-gtkhtml2,
python-gtkmozembed)
* gksu 1.X is going away (nothing uses it anyway)
* gda is going away, at least for a while
* gtkspell will have its own binary package (currently in NEW)

What will change upstream:
* It’s very hard to tell, these modules don’t seem to change much.
* Most of them have better replacements, so other packages should
really get of these dependencies anyway.

What changes to apply to Debian packages:
* To simplify the dependency tree, the dependencies of
python-gnome2-extras on python-eggtrayicon, python-gtkhtml2 and
python-gtkmozembed are going away, probably right after the
squeeze release.
* Therefore, packages using these modules *must* be updated to use
the new binary package as dependency instead.

Bugs have already been filed for egg.trayicon, gtkhtml2 and gtkmozembed.
I propose to complete them with gtkspell bugs and to make them
important. They would become serious before the squeeze release.

LIST OF AFFECTED PACKAGES

Adam Cécile (Le_Vert) <gandalf@le-vert.net>
exaile (U)

Nicolas FRANCOIS (Nekral) <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>
virtaal

David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>
ows

Moray Allan <moray@debian.org>
straw (U)

Tom Cato Amundsen <tca@debian.org>
solfege

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
tracker

Adolfo González Blázquez <code@infinicode.org>
cameramonitor
pyrenamer

Salvatore Bonaccorso <salvatore.bonaccorso@gmail.com>
giplet

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>
infon-devel

Luca Bruno <lethalman88@gmail.com>
freespeak

Luca Bruno <lucab@debian.org>
istanbul

Ross Burton <ross@debian.org>
meld
nautilus-python
postr

Debian Bazaar Maintainers <pkg-bazaar-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
bzr-gtk

Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
accerciser (U)
deskbar-applet
epiphany-extensions (U)
gedit-plugins (U)
gnome-games (U)
hamster-applet (U)
hotwire (U)
meld (U)
nautilus-python (U)
ontv (U)
update-manager

Debian OLPC <debian-olpc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
sugar
sugar-toolkit
sugar-web-activity

Cédric Delfosse <cedric@debian.org>
gaphor

Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
gedit-plugins (U)
gnome-games (U)
ontv (U)
service-discovery-applet

Decklin Foster <decklin@red-bean.com>
pygmy

Pedro Fragoso <ember@ubuntu.com>
hamster-applet

Gustavo Franco <stratus@debian.org>
gtimelog (U)

Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org>
deskbar-applet (U)

François Févotte <francois.fevotte@ensta.org>
exaile

Jeremy Guitton <debotux@free.fr>
ontv

Dafydd Harries <daf@debian.org>
gtimelog (U)

Uwe Hermann <uwe@debian.org>
miro

Varun Hiremath <varun@debian.org>
pychess

Philipp Kaluza <pk+debs@yomu.de>
pida

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org>
timer-applet

Julian Andres Klode <jak@jak-linux.org>
gimmie

martin f. krafft <madduck@debian.org>
jppy (U)

Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org>
accerciser

Julien Lavergne <julien.lavergne@gmail.com>
avant-window-navigator
awn-extras-applets
screenlets

Yann Leboulanger <asterix@lagaule.org>
gajim

Clement Lorteau <northern_lights@users.sourceforge.net>
gtkvncviewer

Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@debian.org>
pida (U)

Maintainers of GStreamer packages <pkg-gstreamer-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
elisa-plugins-good

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>
gtimelog

Loic Minier <lool@dooz.org>
elisa-plugins-good (U)
gedit-plugins
meld (U)
nautilus-python (U)
pitivi
service-discovery-applet (U)
update-manager (U)

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@ubuntu.com>
decibel-audio-player
emesene
nautilus-python (U)
scribes
update-manager (U)

Sam Morris <sam@robots.org.uk>
serpentine

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
epiphany-extensions
gedit-plugins (U)
gnome-games
hamster-applet (U)
hotwire
update-manager (U)

Philippe Normand <philippe@fluendo.com>
elisa-plugins-good (U)

Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>
griffith

Thibaut Paumard <paumard@users.sourceforge.net>
update-manager (U)

Adriaan Peeters <apeeters@lashout.net>
music-applet

Frederic Peters <fpeters@debian.org>
gnome-blog

Nicholas C Piper <nick-debian@nickpiper.co.uk>
jppy (U)

Norbert Preining <preining@debian.org>
jppy (U)

Andy Price <andy@andrewprice.me.uk>
pybackpack

Python Applications Packaging Team <python-apps-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
decibel-audio-player (U)
emesene (U)
pybackpack (U)
screenlets (U)
scribes (U)

Arnaud Quette <aquette@debian.org>
elisa-plugins-good (U)

Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org>
istanbul (U)
jokosher

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
update-manager (U)

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
sugar (U)
sugar-toolkit (U)
sugar-web-activity (U)

Joseph Smidt <jsmidt@byu.edu>
gmail-notify

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo@debian.org>
conduit

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net>
xword

jppy development team <jppy-devel@zanu.org.uk>
jppy

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org>
keysafe

James A. Treacy <treacy@debian.org>
gramps

Andrea Veri <bluekuja@ubuntu.com>
cgmail

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@debian.org>
bzr-gtk (U)

Hanna Wallach <hmw26@cam.ac.uk>
straw

Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org>
pychess (U)

--
.'`. Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :

Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Adeodato Sim

> Clement Lorteau <northern_lights@users.sourceforge.net>
> gtkvncviewer

I filed #518000 a while ago about this, heh. But the bug report needs
updating to say that python-gconf exists on its own, and that
gtkvncviewer should depend on that instead of python-gnome2.

Cheers,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Hi Joss,

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> 1. GNOME-PYTHON

> I propose to file wishlist bugs on the packages that can move to using
> python-gconf.

> 2. GNOME-PYTHON-DESKTOP

> I propose to file important bugs on all packages depending on
> python-gnome2-desktop, making them RC once the package is removed (not
> until at least a few months, though).

> 3. GNOME-PYTHON-EXTRAS

> Bugs have already been filed for egg.trayicon, gtkhtml2 and gtkmozembed.
> I propose to complete them with gtkspell bugs and to make them
> important. They would become serious before the squeeze release.

All sound good to me.

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le lundi 16 mars 2009 * 14:08 +0100, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> 3. GNOME-PYTHON-EXTRAS
>
> What is happening in unstable:
> * egg.trayicon, gtkhtml2 and gtkmozembed each have their own
> binary package (python-eggtrayicon, python-gtkhtml2,
> python-gtkmozembed)
> * gksu 1.X is going away (nothing uses it anyway)
> * gda is going away, at least for a while
> * gtkspell will have its own binary package (currently in NEW)
>
> What will change upstream:
> * It’s very hard to tell, these modules don’t seem to change much.
> * Most of them have better replacements, so other packages should
> really get of these dependencies anyway.
>
> What changes to apply to Debian packages:
> * To simplify the dependency tree, the dependencies of
> python-gnome2-extras on python-eggtrayicon, python-gtkhtml2 and
> python-gtkmozembed are going away, probably right after the
> squeeze release.
> * Therefore, packages using these modules *must* be updated to use
> the new binary package as dependency instead.

Apparently, developers have a strong tendency to not fix these bugs the
correct way and instead, to make packages depend on e.g.
python-gtkmozembed | python-gnome2-extras

Therefore, I’m probably going to make gnome-python-extras follow the
gnome-python-desktop path:
* the gksu2 and gdl modules will go in python-gksu2 and python-gdl
* when gda comes back (Gustavo is working on packaging libgda4),
it will be in python-gda
* let’s take that opportunity to ditch egg.recent away

Are people OK with this approach?