Old 03-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Martín Ferrari

Default net-tools future

Marco,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:11, Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:

>> ** netstat : sstat provides almost the same information, just some
>> formatting changes and parsing the command line

> While I am happy to see ifconfig and route go, I am not sure that
> netstat is in the same category and should be replaced with something
> which is not 100% compatibile in the output.

The idea is to provide a wrapper with the same output as the original netstat

--
Martín Ferrari

Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 15, Martín Ferrari <tincho@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> * netstat : sstat provides almost the same information, just some
>> formatting changes and parsing the command line
> While I am happy to see ifconfig and route go, I am not sure that
> netstat is in the same category and should be replaced with something
> which is not 100% compatibile in the output.
>
>> * nameif: can be replaced by "ip link", not sure if it's worth the
>> effort (does anybody actually use it?)
> Kill it ASAP, it's not compatible with udev.

Being able to rename an interface without messing with udev is a feature, not a bug.

GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79

Old 03-15-2009, 09:07 PM

On Mar 15, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> Being able to rename an interface without messing with udev is a feature, not a bug.
Every relevant Linux distribution requires udev, and so do many
important features of Debian systems. Anything not compatible with udev
is a toy which wastes space in the archive. Welcome to 2008.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
David Paleino

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:07:29 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> [..] Welcome to 2008.
^^^^

Marco, did you dist-upgrade yourself?

Ciao,
David

--
. '`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
: :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/

Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Brian May

Martín Ferrari wrote:
> * netstat : sstat provides almost the same information, just some
> formatting changes and parsing the command line

sstat?

I see /usr/bin/sstat in slurm-llnl - but that doesn't look right.

What sstat are you referring to here?

--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>

Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 AM

On Mar 15, David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> wrote:

> > [..] Welcome to 2008.
> ^^^^
> Marco, did you dist-upgrade yourself?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/irony

HTH.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Martín Ferrari

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:52, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> Martín Ferrari wrote:
>> ** netstat : sstat provides almost the same information, just some
>> formatting changes and parsing the command line

> sstat?
>
> I see /usr/bin/sstat in slurm-llnl - but that doesn't look right.
>
> What sstat are you referring to here?

Sorry, it was meant to say "ss", from the iproute package

--
Martín Ferrari

Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Martín Ferrari wrote:
> * mii-tool: it could be dropped and replaced by a pointer to ethtool as
> it's not meant to be used automatically by scripts. On the other hand,

mii-tool behaviour when you call it without parameters is *extremely* useful
to locate which cable goes where. ethtool is quite cubersome for this. In
fact, it is downright ill-suited for this kind of use.

Compare:

# mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
eth1: no link

with:

# ip link | sed -ne '/^[0-9]+:/ {s/.*.*): [<].*/1/ p}' | xargs -n1 -r ethtool | grep -E '(Settings)|(Link)|(Speed)|(Duplex)'
Settings for lo:
Link detected: yes
Settings for eth1:
Speed: Unknown! (65535)
Duplex: Unknown! (255)
Link detected: no
Settings for eth0:
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Link detected: yes

So, ethtool really needs to grow an option to iterate over all netdevs, and
another one to print a summary of link state and speed,duplex before
mii-tool could be dropped.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Bjřrn Mork

Martín Ferrari <tincho@debian.org> writes:

> Problematic tools:
> * mii-tool: it could be dropped and replaced by a pointer to ethtool as
> it's not meant to be used automatically by scripts. On the other hand,
> it's distributed as a stand-alone tool [0] and we could do the same.

A couple of notes:

mii-tool and ethtool use different driver interfaces which I'm pretty
sure aren't completely overlapping for all drivers in the kernel

mii-tool may not be meant for scripts, but I for one have used it in
the past to force speed/duplex like this:

iface eth1 inet static
address 10.122.226.9
netmask 255.255.255.192
up /sbin/mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth1

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...

I fail to see the value of removing mii-tool. I'd rather see just the
non-working features removed in favour of an ethtool recommendation.

Bjřrn

Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 01:08:04PM +0100, Bjřrn Mork wrote:
> Martín Ferrari <tincho@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Problematic tools:
> > * mii-tool: it could be dropped and replaced by a pointer to ethtool as
> > it's not meant to be used automatically by scripts. On the other hand,
> > it's distributed as a stand-alone tool [0] and we could do the same.
>
> A couple of notes:
>
> mii-tool and ethtool use different driver interfaces which I'm pretty
> sure aren't completely overlapping for all drivers in the kernel
>
> mii-tool may not be meant for scripts, but I for one have used it in
> the past to force speed/duplex like this:
>
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 10.122.226.9
> netmask 255.255.255.192
> up /sbin/mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth1
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...

You can do this with ethtool now, and more cleanly:

link-speed 100
link-duplex full

> I fail to see the value of removing mii-tool. I'd rather see just the
> non-working features removed in favour of an ethtool recommendation.

It doesn't recognise 1G and 10G links, so its speed reporting is broken.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.