Old 03-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Dale Scheetz

Default HD TV as Monitor

I have a Samsung 42" HD TV. It has a connector for a computer monitor
input, and I have been trying to get a computer hooked up to use it as
a monitor with little luck. If the machine runs Windows it will use
the monitor correctly as a display. If I run Damn Small it will
display, but the bottom portion of the screen is below the bottom of
the TV screen. Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Debian all produce "Mode Not
Supported" messages on the TV but produce no display. If I try to use
the Debian Install disk to create a new system, the boot up stuff
displays fine, but when it gets to the first installation screen the
text is diagonally ripped and unreadable.

On one of my laptops, even in windows there is no display. (I assume
that the graphics card in that machine doesn't support the screen
modes necessary.

On the machine where windows works, I assume the graphics card is
capable, and I only need a functional MODE line in the config file.

At work we use wide screen TVs as monitors in meetings where groups
need to view the screen, but then we only have Windows machines
there...

Does anyone have any idea what the mode line should look like for these devices?

I also want to take this time to thank you all for the great advances
that Debian has made since I retired from the group the hardware
detection and automated update processes are truly wonderful! And,
thank you for keeping Spider in the distribution, I really appreciate
it!

Please CC me on all responses as I am not currently signed up to this
mailing list.

Luck,

Dwarf

Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
William Pitcock

Hi,

Is it 720p or 1080i or 1080p?

The following modeline makes my 720p 32" HDTV happy:

| SubSection "Display"
| Depth 24
| Modes "1680x1050"
| EndSubSection

William

Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Sven Arvidsson

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 16:04 -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I have a Samsung 42" HD TV. It has a connector for a computer monitor
> input, and I have been trying to get a computer hooked up to use it as
> a monitor with little luck. If the machine runs Windows it will use
> the monitor correctly as a display. If I run Damn Small it will
> display, but the bottom portion of the screen is below the bottom of
> the TV screen. Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Debian all produce "Mode Not
> Supported" messages on the TV but produce no display. If I try to use
> the Debian Install disk to create a new system, the boot up stuff
> displays fine, but when it gets to the first installation screen the
> text is diagonally ripped and unreadable.
>
> On one of my laptops, even in windows there is no display. (I assume
> that the graphics card in that machine doesn't support the screen
> modes necessary.
>
> On the machine where windows works, I assume the graphics card is
> capable, and I only need a functional MODE line in the config file.
>
> At work we use wide screen TVs as monitors in meetings where groups
> need to view the screen, but then we only have Windows machines
> there...
>
> Does anyone have any idea what the mode line should look like for these devices?

Hi,

You will probably need to manually specify a mode line, something like
this:

http://marc.info/?l=freedesktop-xorg&m=123126270614013&w=2

(This question is probably more appropriate on debian-user or the xorg
mailing list)

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson

Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le vendredi 13 mars 2009 Ă* 16:04 -0400, Dale Scheetz a Ă©crit :
> I have a Samsung 42" HD TV.

> Does anyone have any idea what the mode line should look like for these devices?

There are a few issues with getting such devices work with X, but it is
possible.

1. You probably need a DVI→HDMI adapter in all cases, since these
devices refuse to display 1080p with a VGA cable (you know, security,
DRM, blahblah, LOL).

2. I guess it depends on the TV, but mine requests 1080i through EDID
and X doesn’t really understands what this means. It generates a
1920×540 modeline in this case, and of course this doesn’t work.

3. X-generated modelines are meant for CRT or LCD monitors, not for TVs
which need much lower synchronization times.

4. X prefers using its own modelines even if you specify others by hand,
so you have to specify another mode name.

The result is the following configuration:

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Radeon trucmuche"
Driver "ati"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
Option "Monitor-DVI-0" "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Modeline "1920x1080_p" 143.64 1920 1944 2040 2128 1080 1082 1085 1125
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080_p"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "ATI Radeon trucmuche"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Virtual 1920 1080
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080_p"
EndSubsection
EndSection

Cheers,
--
.'`. Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :