Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

Default Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

[Jörg Sommer]
> Hallo Petter,

Hi.

> What about kill -l?
>
> % kill -l SIGCONT
> 18

Hm, interesting idea. I guess killall5 $(kill -l SIGCOUNT) would
work.

> IMO, yes. Printing the process names should not clutter the screen
> and might provide informations to detect problems. It's better to
> have more informations than less.

Thanks for the feedback. But more information is not always better.
It increases the cognitive strain and might even increase confusion.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Felipe Sateler

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> No-one has suggested as far as I can see to remove all shutdown
> scripts, while all arguments against removing some shutdown scripts
> seem to base their argument on that premise. *To repeat myself another
> time:
>
> Daemons that need a shutdown script should keep it. *Daemons that do
> not need a shutdown script can drop it, and leave it to sendsigs to
> kill them.

If there are daemons which don't need to save state, or do useful work on
shutdown (and thus don't need an init script)... why bother with TERMing them
instead of directly KILLing them?

--

Felipe Sateler

Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Felipe Sateler]
> If there are daemons which don't need to save state, or do useful
> work on shutdown (and thus don't need an init script)... why bother
> with TERMing them instead of directly KILLing them?

Mostly to keep the complexity of sendsigs down. But I agree with your
logic, that either would work.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Tollef Fog Heen

* Gabor Gombas

| On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:14:15PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
|
| > It's fairly common to add a sleep in restart to (try to) deal with
| > issues such as reopening a socket.
|
| But if the listening socket is still open then some apache module may
| still be doing disk I/O/database access/etc. as well, which means "stop"
| should wait till apache really quits.

Taking this argument a bit further, do you think that the sshd init
script should wait until all users have saved their work and logged
out before it gives control back to the init sequence?

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Tollef Fog Heen

* Felipe Sateler

| If there are daemons which don't need to save state, or do useful work on
| shutdown (and thus don't need an init script)... why bother with TERMing them
| instead of directly KILLing them?

As an example, an ftpd or smtpd could then close the connection with
«service going down» or similar instead of the socket just dying.

--
Tollef Fog Heen