Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Yaroslav Halchenko

Default Proposal: virtual package + alternative: x-keyboard

In the light of having Debian on all kinds of devices with touchscreens
(tablets/freerunner), I propose to add a virtual package

x-keyboard
or may be better
x-onscreen-keyboard ?

and a equivalently named alternative

Packages which I should provide it (there could be more):
xvkbd
qwo
matchbox-keyboard

Upon receiving comments and if no objections made I guess I will file a
butreport against debian-policy to have virtual-package-names-list.txt
adjusted

Meanwhile I CCing xvkbd and matchbox-keyboard maintainers to attract
their attention

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark

Old 03-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Neil Williams

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:38:49 -0400
Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:

> In the light of having Debian on all kinds of devices with touchscreens
> (tablets/freerunner), I propose to add a virtual package
>
> x-keyboard
> or may be better
> x-onscreen-keyboard ?

x- infers screen IMHO in the same way as x-terminal-emulator and
x-window-manager, so x-keyboard is preferable.

> and a equivalently named alternative
>
> Packages which I should provide it (there could be more):
> xvkbd
> qwo
> matchbox-keyboard

However, there is another issue here - if the device is multi-user,
most login managers cannot cope with a touchscreen keyboard. gpe-login
is one that can, gdm cannot.

Having touchscreen keyboard support in X is good as long as the user
can log into their X environment first.
;-)

I'm not sure how the two issues should be related but if a device has
an x-keyboard package installed, there should be some kind of link to a
login manager that can cope with an x-keyboard. We cannot assume that
all touchscreen or x-keyboard devices are single-user with auto-login
enabled.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> However, there is another issue here - if the device is multi-user,
> most login managers cannot cope with a touchscreen keyboard. gpe-login
> is one that can, gdm cannot.
>
> Having touchscreen keyboard support in X is good as long as the user
> can log into their X environment first.
> ;-)

Recommends/Suggests?

That would hint to having a meta package instead of a virtual one.

MfG
Goswin

Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

Primary reason why I raised it appeared when I tried hackable1
Debian-based distribution for freerunner. X server was hardcoded to use
/usr/bin/xkbd for a keyboard which comes up whenever user presses AUX
button. There were no easy way to alternate the input method. So for qwo
package I just suggested to symlink xkbd -> qwo. Having alternates for
it would have resolved the problem.

since in this case custom x-server is relying on its presence, depends
on x-keyboard should be for that custom package of X. and since it is X
which takes care about raising the keyboard, it should be ok even for
login screens (although on the phones usually it is a single-user
environment, so no need for login/session management per se)