Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Jay Berkenbilt

Default debhelper >= 7.2.3, doc-base, and lintian

I just built a new version of one of my packages, and I got some
lintian errors like this:

E: qpdf: prerm-does-not-call-installdocs usr/share/doc-base/qpdf-manual
N:
N: Since the package installs a file in /usr/share/doc-base, the package
N: should probably call the install-docs command in its prerm script.
N:
N: For example, use the following code in your maintainer script:
N: if [ -x /usr/sbin/install-docs ]; then
N: /usr/sbin/install-docs -r <your-package> || true
N: fi
N:
N: Refer to Debian doc-base Manual section 2.4 (Registering Documents Using
N: install-docs) for details.
N:
N: Severity: important, Certainty: certain
N:

This package uses cdbs with the debhelper rules.

Looking at the debhelper changelog, I see

debhelper (7.2.3) unstable; urgency=low

* dh_installdocs: No longer add maintainer script code to call
doc-base, as it supports triggers in stable.

This version was uploaded on 3/7/2009.

I can't really parse "as it supports triggers in stable." Who is "it"
and what triggers is "it" supporting?

Who is right? Is lintian and also the doc-base manual that it
references correct? Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

I'd like to find out what the story is here before I upload a package
with lintian errors. I can't tell whether lintian is just behind an
intended change, debhelper is doing something wrong, cdbs is doing
something wrong with how it invokes debhelper, or I'm doing something
wrong in my rules. All I do in my rules is

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk

and I have one .doc-base file.

Once I know where the problem is, I can either fix my packages or
submit a bug to the appropriate place.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>

Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Cyril Brulebois

(Wild guesses follow.)

Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org> (11/03/2009):
> * dh_installdocs: No longer add maintainer script code to call
> doc-base, as it supports triggers in stable.
>
> This version was uploaded on 3/7/2009.
>
> I can't really parse "as it supports triggers in stable." Who is "it"
> and what triggers is "it" supporting?

it = doc-base. dpkg triggers = writing stuff somewhere triggers some
actions at the end of the installation run (instead of one per package).

> Who is right? Is lintian and also the doc-base manual that it
> references correct? Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

I guess lintian would have to be updated.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
James Vega

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 03:33:01PM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> I just built a new version of one of my packages, and I got some
> lintian errors like this:
>
> E: qpdf: prerm-does-not-call-installdocs usr/share/doc-base/qpdf-manual

From Lintian 2.2.7's changelog:
+ Removed
- description-synopsis-has-leading-spaces
- postinst-does-not-call-installdocs
- prerm-does-not-call-installdocs

So, you're just using outdated tools.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 15:33 -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> I just built a new version of one of my packages, and I got some
> lintian errors like this:
>
> E: qpdf: prerm-does-not-call-installdocs usr/share/doc-base/qpdf-manual
[...]
> Once I know where the problem is, I can either fix my packages or
> submit a bug to the appropriate place.

The problem is that you have an out-of-date version of lintian. :-)

lintian (2.2.7) unstable; urgency=low

The "debhelper 7.2.3 and lots of fiddly infrastructure fixes" release.
[...]
+ Removed
- description-synopsis-has-leading-spaces
- postinst-does-not-call-installdocs
- prerm-does-not-call-installdocs
[...]
-- Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> Sun, 08 Mar 2009 21:58:32 -0700

(on a related subject, note that lintian 2.2.8 will revert some of the
debhelper 7.2.3 changes to the menu handling, to match changes in
debhelper 7.2.5)

Adam

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Russ Allbery

Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org> writes:

> I just built a new version of one of my packages, and I got some lintian
> errors like this:
>
> E: qpdf: prerm-does-not-call-installdocs usr/share/doc-base/qpdf-manual

Upgrading to Lintian 2.2.7 should fix this problem. debhelper is correct.

+ [RA] Explicit install-docs calls are no longer needed since doc-base
registration is done with triggers. (Closes: #518801)

Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Jay Berkenbilt

>> I just built a new version of one of my packages, and I got some lintian
>> errors like this:
>>
>> E: qpdf: prerm-does-not-call-installdocs usr/share/doc-base/qpdf-manual
>
> Upgrading to Lintian 2.2.7 should fix this problem. debhelper is correct.
>
> + [RA] Explicit install-docs calls are no longer needed since doc-base
> registration is done with triggers. (Closes: #518801)

To those who pointed out that my lintian was out of date, thanks.
Sorry for the noise on this. I don't know how I could have missed
that. I must have updated my chroot and not updated my regular
system. Or maybe I got caught in a window with my local mirror. Oh
well. Time to clean and reconnect my brain cables.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>