Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Dirk Eddelbuettel

Default libpoppler3 missing in unstable

On 11 March 2009 at 12:55, Adeodato Sim wrote:
| > On Tue, Mar 10, 2009, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| > > Normally, we keep the lib$foo$N and add lib$foo$N+1. By withdrawing
| > > libpoppler3 you broke the buildability of hundreds of package with tex
| > > documentation. Was there a reason?
|
| Uploading libfoo2 and making libfoo1 disappear are actually done by
| different people. Removal of obsolete binaries is done by the ftpteam,
| I’m putting them on the loop via Bcc, and moving the discussion to
| -devel.
|
| ftpteam, would you be open to discussing a well-defined policy about
| removal of NBS libraries from unstable? Personally I couldn’t care less
| about installability problems on user’s machines running unstable: my

Just to be clear here:

I don't care about "installability on user's machines" either

but I DO care about the fact that Debian unstable as a whole is FTBFS

which I don't find too acceptable. Now, stuff happens, Norbert is on it, and
hopefully this will be over soon.

But yes, some "policy" or guideline to avoid it next time this arises would
be welcome.

| take is that those machines should have testing in sources.list, period.

Not the point. We broke all pbuilders.

| However, rendering important parts of the toolchain uninstallable is
| something different.

Indeed.

| The problem is, of course, defining the “well-defined policy”. For most
| libraries an early removal has no big consequences. It would have been
| tempting to have guessed that there wouldn’t be any for poppler either,
| because the fact that decrufting poppler would render texlive uninstallable,
| upon which a lot of packages build-depend on, needs a bit of close looking
| in order to be noticed.

Not if you maintain a number of packages depending on *tex

Cheers, Dirk

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Norbert Preining

On Mi, 11 Mr 2009, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> but I DO care about the fact that Debian unstable as a whole is FTBFS
>
> which I don't find too acceptable. Now, stuff happens, Norbert is on it, and
> hopefully this will be over soon.

texlive-bin 2007.dfsg.2-5 with a fixed patch (that unfortunately needs
pkg-config for finding the version of the poppler library) is uploaded.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org> Debian TeX Group

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Frank Lichtenheld

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:55:52PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2009, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > > Normally, we keep the lib$foo$N and add lib$foo$N+1. By withdrawing
> > > libpoppler3 you broke the buildability of hundreds of package with tex
> > > documentation. Was there a reason?
>
> Uploading libfoo2 and making libfoo1 disappear are actually done by
> different people. Removal of obsolete binaries is done by the ftpteam,
> I’m putting them on the loop via Bcc, and moving the discussion to
> -devel.
>
> ftpteam, would you be open to discussing a well-defined policy about
> removal of NBS libraries from unstable? Personally I couldn’t care less
> about installability problems on user’s machines running unstable: my
> take is that those machines should have testing in sources.list, period.
> However, rendering important parts of the toolchain uninstallable is
> something different.

As the current "RM Master" I see two realistic possibilities:

1) Someone just write me a mail if I should some part of the cruft
report or ping me on IRC. This would of course scale to a few cases
only.

2) Someone improve the cruft report so that I can see how many packages
still depend on the package to be removed, so I can try to make my
own judgement.

I will not be able to indivdually investigate each cruft package
for this specific problem.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/

Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Joerg Jaspert

> As the current "RM Master" I see two realistic possibilities:
> 1) Someone just write me a mail if I should some part of the cruft
> report or ping me on IRC. This would of course scale to a few cases
> only.

Inacceptable. The latest cruft report was done by me for example. Having
someone mail you doesnt help at all. If, at all, a mail has to be sent
it should go to our team address, but that still relies on the hope that
the mail gets read before the cruft removal is done. Not very reliable.

> 2) Someone improve the cruft report so that I can see how many packages
> still depend on the package to be removed, so I can try to make my
> own judgement.

Also not an easy thing. Well, its solveable to show the count of
packages, but I'm not sure this is the way to go.

Maybe cruft-report should be adjusted that it doesn't tell us about a
removal the first 7 days after it found it. Similar like StayOfExecution
works out to keep things in the pool/ directories for two and a bit days
after we removed it, this could keep things in the package files for x
days after it should have gotten removed. Maybe.

--
bye, Joerg
<elmo> [..] trying to avoid extra dependencies on gnumeric is like trying to

Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Riku Voipio

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:55:52PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> The problem is, of course, defining the “well-defined policy”. For most
> libraries an early removal has no big consequences. It would have been
> tempting to have guessed that there wouldn’t be any for poppler either,
> because the fact that decrufting poppler would render texlive uninstallable,
> upon which a lot of packages build-depend on, needs a bit of close looking
> in order to be noticed.

IMHO the root cause here was that the poppler transition required source
changes in the reverse dependencies (such as texlive-bin). Yet, the maintainers
of poppler didn't care to warn maintainers of reverse dependecies nor the
release team that this transition isn't solvable with just binNMU's. This
lead to the transition to take so long that old poppler library got
decrufted.

Perhaps it should be assumed by default that soname transitions require
source changes, _unless_ proven otherwise. And proving is really simple -
just try recompiling all reverse dependencies against the new library.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le jeudi 12 mars 2009 10:08 +0200, Riku Voipio a crit :
> Perhaps it should be assumed by default that soname transitions require
> source changes, _unless_ proven otherwise. And proving is really simple -
> just try recompiling all reverse dependencies against the new library.

Are you volunteering to do this work in the future for other library
transitions?

--
.'`. Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :

Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Norbert Preining

Hi Josselin,

On Do, 12 Mr 2009, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Are you volunteering to do this work in the future for other library
> transitions?

No need. If you (the devs of poppler) just warn rdepends on imminent
upload and send a pre-version for testing we can react. Fixing poppler
patches did become more and more easy, but this one took more time
because of the removal of xpdfVersion var.

Anyway, it is settled now, new version of texlive in sid, so let us
close this case.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 11 March 2009 at 15:35, Norbert Preining wrote:
| On Mi, 11 M r 2009, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > but I DO care about the fact that Debian unstable as a whole is FTBFS
| >
| > which I don't find too acceptable. Now, stuff happens, Norbert is on it, and
| > hopefully this will be over soon.
|
| texlive-bin 2007.dfsg.2-5 with a fixed patch (that unfortunately needs
| pkg-config for finding the version of the poppler library) is uploaded.

Much appreciated!!

Dirk (whose build attempt is now blocked by libcairo2 requiring a rebuild for
libdirectfb-1.2-0 -- can't win :-/ )