Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Adeodato Simó

Default libpoppler3 missing in unstable

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> > Normally, we keep the lib$foo$N and add lib$foo$N+1. By withdrawing
> > libpoppler3 you broke the buildability of hundreds of package with tex
> > documentation. Was there a reason?

Uploading libfoo2 and making libfoo1 disappear are actually done by
different people. Removal of obsolete binaries is done by the ftpteam,
I’m putting them on the loop via Bcc, and moving the discussion to
-devel.

ftpteam, would you be open to discussing a well-defined policy about
removal of NBS libraries from unstable? Personally I couldn’t care less
about installability problems on user’s machines running unstable: my
take is that those machines should have testing in sources.list, period.
However, rendering important parts of the toolchain uninstallable is
something different.

The problem is, of course, defining the “well-defined policy”. For most
libraries an early removal has no big consequences. It would have been
tempting to have guessed that there wouldn’t be any for poppler either,
because the fact that decrufting poppler would render texlive uninstallable,
upon which a lot of packages build-depend on, needs a bit of close looking
in order to be noticed.

Cheers,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Norbert Preining

On Mi, 11 Mr 2009, Adeodato Sim wrote:
> because the fact that decrufting poppler would render texlive uninstallable,

Some forewarning to the Debian TeX Team would have been helpful.
Especially since the FTBFS is not easy to circumvent because that
stu**** poppler people have simply removed any (I repeat *any*) way to
get the library version from within the library.

I have fixed that for luatex and I am working on updating the patch for
texlive, but since there more progs (xetex, pdftex) are involved it is
not as trivial.

I expect to upload fixed packages of texlive-bin in the next 2 days.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org> Debian TeX Group