Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Norbert Preining

Default tex-common with triggers support

Dear all,

the Debian TeX Team has uploaded tex-common 1.15 to unstable which
brings triggers support for font maps (calls to updmap-sys) and
hyphenation patterns (calls to fmtutil-sys --byfmt).

Those packages shipping fonts, ie those package calling dh_installtex
AND having some map files are advised to rebuild with tex-common 1.15
so that updmap-sys is not called two times (once from the postinst, once
from the trigger).

Please report all irregularities as usual to
debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org.

Thanks and all the best

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org> Debian TeX Group

Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Adeodato Simó

* Norbert Preining [Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:18:45 +0100]:

> Dear all,

> the Debian TeX Team has uploaded tex-common 1.15 to unstable which
> brings triggers support for font maps (calls to updmap-sys) and
> hyphenation patterns (calls to fmtutil-sys --byfmt).

Great. o/

> Those packages shipping fonts, ie those package calling dh_installtex
> AND having some map files are advised to rebuild with tex-common 1.15
> so that updmap-sys is not called two times (once from the postinst, once
> from the trigger).

Shouldn’t the progress on this be tracked somehow? I’m not sure what
would be best. There could be a mass bug filing using some usertag, but
that may get out of sync if people make an upload without noticing the
bug should be closed with it.

Another option would be a lintian test that warns if the postinst calls
updmap-sys but the package depends on text-common (>= 1.15). This would
give us the benefit of having an always correct list up on lintian.d.o.
I don’t know if this is a fair use of lintian, though, and that’s why
I’m Bcc'ing lintian-maint. (I say I’m not sure if this is a fair use of
lintian becase, as I understand it, a newly rebuilt package would never
trigger the warning, correct?)

Cheers,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Norbert Preining

On Mi, 11 Mär 2009, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > the Debian TeX Team has uploaded tex-common 1.15 to unstable which
> > brings triggers support for font maps (calls to updmap-sys) and
> > hyphenation patterns (calls to fmtutil-sys --byfmt).
>
> Great. o/

Lenny is out, time for doing new things.

> > Those packages shipping fonts, ie those package calling dh_installtex
> > AND having some map files are advised to rebuild with tex-common 1.15
> > so that updmap-sys is not called two times (once from the postinst, once
> > from the trigger).
>
> Shouldn’t the progress on this be tracked somehow? I’m not sure what
> would be best. There could be a mass bug filing using some usertag, but
> that may get out of sync if people make an upload without noticing the
> bug should be closed with it.

There aren't that many packages shipping updmap.d file:
tex/cm-super
tex/cm-super-minimal
our Team, already uploaded

tex/ko.tex-base
tex/ko.tex-extra

tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp
tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bsmi00lp
tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gbsn00lp
tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gkai00mp
tex/latex-cjk-japanese-wadalab
tex/latex-cjk-thai

tex/latex-sanskrit

tex/littex

tex/lmodern
our team, already prepared

tex/musixtex

tex/scalable-cyrfonts-tex

tex/texlive-base
tex/texlive-fonts-extra
tex/texlive-fonts-recommended
tex/texlive-games
tex/texlive-lang-african
tex/texlive-lang-arab
tex/texlive-lang-cyrillic
tex/texlive-lang-czechslovak
tex/texlive-lang-french
tex/texlive-lang-greek
tex/texlive-lang-hebrew
tex/texlive-lang-indic
tex/texlive-lang-mongolian
tex/texlive-lang-polish
tex/texlive-lang-vietnamese
tex/texlive-latex-base
tex/texlive-latex-extra
tex/texlive-math-extra
tex/texlive-omega
tex/texlive-pictures
our team

tex/thailatex

tex/tipa

text/itrans

x11/gregoriotex

So that is not soo bad. And with hyphenation patterns it is even
simpler, besides texlive-* we have only littex and latex-cjk-chinese.

So I see no need here.

> Another option would be a lintian test that warns if the postinst calls
> updmap-sys but the package depends on text-common (>= 1.15). This would

I consider it not to problematic. And, there is a way that people
actually WANT to have that updmap-sys is called already very soon, if
the fonts are used in the postinstall itself (no idea if that ever will
actually occur). dh_installtex can be called with some option to disable
the trigger behaviour and make it behave as before.

So I don't see much hurry here, we are trying to update texlive packages
at some point, and the others hopefully will follow.

Best wishes

Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 01:16:43PM +0100, Adeodato Sim wrote:
> There could be a mass bug filing using some usertag, but that may
> get out of sync if people make an upload without noticing the bug
> should be closed with it.

Is that a reason for not using the MBF + usertag strategy?
It looks to be the right tool to me.

If people make an upload without noticing the bug report ... well,
they are doing the wrong thing :-), it is not like we should
refraining doing the right one for that fear. Practically, my guess is
that the impact will be low and that who follows the transition will
eventually notice that and close the bug. As usual.

Cheers.

Dietro un grande uomo c' ..| . |. Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
sempre uno zaino ...........| ..: |.... Je dis tu tous ceux que j'aime

Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Russ Allbery

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:

> Another option would be a lintian test that warns if the postinst calls
> updmap-sys but the package depends on text-common (>= 1.15). This would
> give us the benefit of having an always correct list up on lintian.d.o.
> I don’t know if this is a fair use of lintian, though, and that’s why
> I’m Bcc'ing lintian-maint. (I say I’m not sure if this is a fair use of
> lintian becase, as I understand it, a newly rebuilt package would never
> trigger the warning, correct?)

It's fair game to add a Lintian test for whether a program is called in
postinst that isn't needed any more. If that's the case here, please do
file a wishlist bug against Lintian with the details. (It's always
possible that someone wasn't using debhelper, for example.)

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Adeodato Simó

* Stefano Zacchiroli [Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:20:06 +0100]:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 01:16:43PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > There could be a mass bug filing using some usertag, but that may
> > get out of sync if people make an upload without noticing the bug
> > should be closed with it.

> Is that a reason for not using the MBF + usertag strategy?
> It looks to be the right tool to me.

> If people make an upload without noticing the bug report ... well,
> they are doing the wrong thing :-), it is not like we should
> refraining doing the right one for that fear. Practically, my guess is
> that the impact will be low and that who follows the transition will
> eventually notice that and close the bug. As usual.

Well, my concern was that since this bug just fixes itself with any
upload, the list of pending issues in the list would diverge from
reality. A NMU would most likely miss closing this bug, eg.

But your point is valid as well, though I’ll just get out of this
discussion seeing as Norbert implied they have it under control. :-)

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Adeodato Simó

* Russ Allbery [Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:06:41 -0700]:

> Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:

> > Another option would be a lintian test that warns if the postinst calls
> > updmap-sys but the package depends on text-common (>= 1.15). This would
> > give us the benefit of having an always correct list up on lintian.d.o.
> > I don’t know if this is a fair use of lintian, though, and that’s why
> > I’m Bcc'ing lintian-maint. (I say I’m not sure if this is a fair use of
> > lintian becase, as I understand it, a newly rebuilt package would never
> > trigger the warning, correct?)

> It's fair game to add a Lintian test for whether a program is called in
> postinst that isn't needed any more. If that's the case here, please do
> file a wishlist bug against Lintian with the details. (It's always
> possible that someone wasn't using debhelper, for example.)

I think it’s indeed the case. I’ll leave it up to -tex-maint to decide
whether they want to file the bug or not. I’d recommend for it, since it
can’t hurt.

Cheers,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Norbert Preining

On Mi, 11 Mär 2009, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > It's fair game to add a Lintian test for whether a program is called in
> > postinst that isn't needed any more. If that's the case here, please do
> > file a wishlist bug against Lintian with the details. (It's always
> > possible that someone wasn't using debhelper, for example.)
>
> I think it’s indeed the case. I’ll leave it up to -tex-maint to decide
> whether they want to file the bug or not. I’d recommend for it, since it
> can’t hurt.

The problem that the code is a real mess, it does not add the updmap-sys
call, but some magic strings that are tested for in case statements. It
is tricky.

Unfortunately I don't have time to think about that with TL2008 on the
back, and texinfo dpkg/GNU i-i transition.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org> Debian TeX Group
SUTTON and CHEAM (nouns)
Sutton and cheam are the kinds of dirt into which all dirt is
divided. 'Sutton' is the dark sort that always gets on to
light-coloured things, 'cheam' the light-coloured sort that clings to
dark items. Anyone who has ever found Marmite stains on a dress-shirt
or seagull goo on a dinner jacket (a) knows all about sutton and
cheam, and (b) is going to some very curious dinner parties.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff