Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Chris Walker

Default Grid tasks

I propose we (Debian-science) create two grid tasks packages:

Grid-client: This would contain the packages a user workstation needs to
submit jobs to the grid.

Grid-server: Packages for running a grid cluster.

The globus packages recently proposed on debian-devel are obvious
candidates.

Would there be support for creating a grid task, and splitting it this way?

Currently the packages are in the new queue. Should I wait until they
actually reach unstable before creating the task? Are there any other
obvious candidate packages?

Chris

Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Steffen Moeller

Hi Chris,

Chris Walker wrote:
> I propose we (Debian-science) create two grid tasks packages:
>
> Grid-client: This would contain the packages a user workstation needs to
> submit jobs to the grid.
>
> Grid-server: Packages for running a grid cluster.
>
> The globus packages recently proposed on debian-devel are obvious
> candidates.
>
> Would there be support for creating a grid task, and splitting it this way?
>
> Currently the packages are in the new queue. Should I wait until they
> actually reach unstable before creating the task? Are there any other
> obvious candidate packages?

I don't think that there is such a thing like "the Grid". We should wait a bit longer to
see how the world evolves around the concepts associated with grids (X.509 certificates,
virtual organisations, ...). To me, mere computations are what may initially drive us, but
there should be more to come.

Candidates to look at are the Open Source cloud management infrastructure Eucalyptus,
UNICORE, even BOINC I would not like miss as there are several grid-savvy bridges built
towards and from it.

What we should possibly start with is a set of tags for the debtags initiative that is
grid-related.

Best,

Steffen

Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Noah Meyerhans

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:28:08PM +0100, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > Would there be support for creating a grid task, and splitting it this way?
> >
> > Currently the packages are in the new queue. Should I wait until they
> > actually reach unstable before creating the task? Are there any other
> > obvious candidate packages?
>
> I don't think that there is such a thing like "the Grid". We should wait a bit longer to
> see how the world evolves around the concepts associated with grids (X.509 certificates,
> virtual organisations, ...). To me, mere computations are what may initially drive us, but
> there should be more to come.

I'm not sure about that. There's a whole lot of inertia behind things
like the Open Science Grid (http://www.opensciencegrid.org/). My site,
with a Debian-based Condor cluster, is considering joining it right now.
If we can make it easier for people to build clusters that can easily be
added to such a grid, we should.

Additionally, I'd argue that "The Grid" could pretty easily refer to a
site-local grid. A workstation joined to a local cluster doesn't really
need to care about whether it's part of something larger or not.

noah
(who should probably go sign up for debian-science at this point...)