Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Barry deFreese

Default To the aqualung NMUer....

Adam Cécile (Le_Vert) wrote:

Hello,

I just received a DAK acknowledgement for aqualung 0.9~beta9.1-1.1 but
it's not me who prepared this package.
I guess it's a NMU fixing the ffmpeg/libavcodec issue but I can't
found any related message neither on the BTS nor on debian mailing
lists (-devel and -release).

I would have been great if this people told me he were preparing a NMU
because I was working on new upstream release package that ALSO fix
the ffmpeg issue.

Anyway... If someone is responsible of this upload, please overwrite
it by the new packages I just uploaded to debian-mentors:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/aqualung/aqualung_0.9~beta10-1.dsc

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

That was me. I haven't posted the diff for the NMU yet. I'll take a
look at the new upstream on mentors. Of course tagging the existing bug
as pending or some other form of notification that you were working on
it would have helped.

Sorry,

Barry deFreese

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2009-03-09, Adam Cécile (Le_Vert) <gandalf@le-vert.net> wrote:
> I would have been great if this people told me he were preparing a NMU
> because I was working on new upstream release package that ALSO fix the
> ffmpeg issue.

It would have been great if you write the progress in your bug report -
including that you are almost ready and just awaiting sponsorship.

And it would also be great if you would say thank you to people fixing
your packages helping transitions.

/Sune

Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Adeodato Simó

I can't possibly say how annoyed I am.

1. Don't spam devel to contact just one person.
2. Read devel: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg00034.html
3. Or you can also read d-d-a: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/03/msg00000.html
4. Or you can just deal with your RC bugs in a timely manner
5. Or you can just mention in the bug report that you're working on a fix
6. Or you can state that you don't want NMUs
7. Or you could do as everybody else and actually thank people for
NMUing you

Best,

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

La música es de los que la quieren escuchar y de nadie más.
-- Andrés Calamaro

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Don Armstrong

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> It would have been great if you write the progress in your bug
> report - including that you are almost ready and just awaiting
> sponsorship.

This would definetly be useful, as it would help someone from wasting
time preparing the NMU in the first place, but it certainly doesn't
excuse making NMUs without notifying the maintainer beforehand.

> And it would also be great if you would say thank you to people fixing
> your packages helping transitions.

Help is certainly useful, but there's still no message to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=517466 regarding the
actual patch that was used to NMU, nor any message before the NMU
regarding intent to NMU.

All of that should happen before uploading an NMU, and certainly
should have happened by now.

Don Armstrong

--
Where am I? THE VILLAGE. What do you want? INFORMATION. Which side are
you on? THAT WOULD BE TELLING. WE WANT INFORMATION. INFORMATION.

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Don Armstrong

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009, Barry deFreese wrote:
> That was me. I haven't posted the diff for the NMU yet.

Just to underline here, you need to send the diff for the NMU to the
bug(s) that you are fixing in the NMU *before* uploading the NMU.

In the case where a 0-day NMU is valid, you can upload immediately
following this, but there should never be a period of time where the
NMU has gone through and the patch has not landed in the BTS.

Don Armstrong

--
Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.
-- Tussman's Law

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
"Adam Cécile (Le_Vert)"

Don Armstrong a écrit :

That was me. I haven't posted the diff for the NMU yet.

Just to underline here, you need to send the diff for the NMU to the
bug(s) that you are fixing in the NMU *before* uploading the NMU.

In the case where a 0-day NMU is valid, you can upload immediately
following this, but there should never be a period of time where the
NMU has gone through and the patch has not landed in the BTS.

Don Armstrong

We were both wrong and I guess we're aware of it
Anyway, the issue is fixed; I just received a dak email for latest
upstream package.

Thanks and sorry for bothering -devel !

Adam.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 02:26:08PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Just to underline here, you need to send the diff for the NMU to the bug(s)
> that you are fixing in the NMU *before* uploading the NMU.

The developers reference is not clear on this point and should perhaps be
clarified. It lists the requirement to upload the NMU patch in the same bullet
point as the "upload your package" action-item, but after the "upload your
package" sentence.

<http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu>

--
Jon Dowland

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Simon Huggins

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:10:13PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> 1. Don't spam devel to contact just one person.

For reference, who-uploads from devscripts is useful for working out who
NMU'd something.

Simon

--
... "Be wewy wewy careful. There be dragons here." -- Linus Torvalds

Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Clint Adams

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 02:22:34PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> This would definetly be useful, as it would help someone from wasting
> time preparing the NMU in the first place, but it certainly doesn't
> excuse making NMUs without notifying the maintainer beforehand.

If the maintainer can't be bothered to respond to a bug report, the
maintainer doesn't deserve any kind of notification.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Adeodato Simó

* "Adam Cécile (Le_Vert)" [Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:42:43 +0100]:

> I bet it won't work for a package in dak

http://incoming.debian.org
http://packages.qa.debian.org/aqualung

And, FFS, the ACCEPTED mail you get has you *and* the uploader in the
To: line.

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.