Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Russ Allbery

Default Support of new source packages in squeeze

> All in all, things are in a rather good shape but I still need some
> help. While I tested extensively the dpkg-source side, we still need to
> ensure that all our additional tools cope well with the new source
> package format (*-buildpackage, apt-get source, lintian, devscripts,
> dput/dupload, etc.).

Lintian is tested with 3.0 (quilt) and 3.0 (native) packages and
LZMA-compressed data components and source tarballs as of 2.2.6. (It's
also tested with 2.0 packages, for whatever it's worth.) It however is
known not to work with source packages that contain multiple upstream
source tarballs. Patches to the unpacking scripts are welcome provided
that they come with an addition to the test suite. It's a fairly
complicated area of the code.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Всеволод Величко

Hello.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> as announced earlier during the lenny dev cycle, I would like to switch to
> the new source package formats ("3.0 (quilt)" and "3.0 (native)") during
> the squeeze cycle so that we can benefit from the numerous improvements.

Excuse me, I understand, that it's offtopic, but where can I read
about the difference between old and newstyle source package formats?
I found nothing on the d-o sites.

--
Best regards,
Velichko Vsevolod

Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Daniel Moerner

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Всеволод Величко <torkvemada@nigma.ru> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>> as announced earlier during the lenny dev cycle, I would like to switch to
>> the new source package formats ("3.0 (quilt)" and "3.0 (native)") during
>> the squeeze cycle so that we can benefit from the numerous improvements.
>
> Excuse me, I understand, that it's offtopic, but where can I read
> about the difference between old and newstyle source package formats?
> I found nothing on the d-o sites.

man dpkg-source and search for "Format: 3.0"

--
Daniel Moerner <dmoerner@gmail.com>

Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Jan Hauke Rahm

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:19:15PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> as announced earlier during the lenny dev cycle, I would like to switch to
> the new source package formats ("3.0 (quilt)" and "3.0 (native)") during
> the squeeze cycle so that we can benefit from the numerous improvements.
> For this kind of important change, it's best to start early in the release
> cycle.

Right. And thanks for the reminder!

> All in all, things are in a rather good shape but I still need some help.
> While I tested extensively the dpkg-source side, we still need to ensure
> that all our additional tools cope well with the new source package
> format (*-buildpackage, apt-get source, lintian, devscripts, dput/dupload,
> etc.). I know several tools in devscripts have already been fixed/enhanced
> in that regard. Please try using new source packages with all those tools
> (in particular if you maintain them) and file bugs if you encounter
> problems and usertag them appropriately (user hertzog@debian.org /
> tag 3.0-quilt-by-default).

I can tell from svn-buildpackage which is definitely *not* ready for new
package formats. It even doesn't parse the new compression methods (bz2
is repacked to gz at the moment).
I started working on svn-bp improvements some time ago but as it turns
out I'm pretty much alone with that atm. So, I don't know when svn-bp
will be ready but everyone interested in helping please contact me!

Hauke

Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Michael Biebl

Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> All in all, things are in a rather good shape but I still need some help.
> While I tested extensively the dpkg-source side, we still need to ensure
> that all our additional tools cope well with the new source package
> format (*-buildpackage, apt-get source, lintian, devscripts, dput/dupload,
> etc.). I know several tools in devscripts have already been fixed/enhanced
> in that regard. Please try using new source packages with all those tools
> (in particular if you maintain them) and file bugs if you encounter
> problems and usertag them appropriately (user hertzog@debian.org /
> tag 3.0-quilt-by-default).

dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown information field 'Format' in input data in
general section of control info file

Should I file a bug against dpkg-dev for that?

And another minor issue: vim doesn't know about the new Format field in
debian/control yet. It seems it [1] has to be updated.

Regarding lintian: For packages which already use quilt and have a quilt
Build-Depends, it would imho be useful if lintian issued a warning, that this
build-dep is no longer required with 3.0 (quilt).

Cheers,
Michael

[1] /usr/share/vim/vim72/syntax/debcontrol.vim

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Michael Biebl

Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> I will do (thanks to Lucas Nussbaum) another archive rebuild in the
> upcoming weeks to see if we have new failures. Hopefully the release team
> can grant the status of release goal to this project so that we can more
> easily NMU the remaining packages.

Will you do that only for packages which already use quilt?
Or how will you rebuild packages with 3.0 (quilt) that already use dpatch or
cdbs with simple-patchsys? (the latter would at least require to normalize all
patches to -p1, create a series file and remove simple-patchsys.mk from
debian/rules).

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown information field 'Format' in input data in
> general section of control info file
>
> Should I file a bug against dpkg-dev for that?
>
> And another minor issue: vim doesn't know about the new Format field in
> debian/control yet. It seems it [1] has to be updated.

No, I should rather remove that part of the documentation. The official
way to indicate that we want to use another format is creating
debian/source/format (like I indicated in my mail) and not that
non-supported field.

The underlying idea is that the desired format might depend from where the
package is built (from a VCS, from another source package, etc.) and
that debian/control should always be the same no matter what source
package has been used to extract it.

Updating debian/source/format on the fly is also better than updating
debian/control and that's needed if you unpack a non-standard source
package to ensure that we rebuild it with the same format.

> Build-Depends, it would imho be useful if lintian issued a warning, that this
> build-dep is no longer required with 3.0 (quilt).

Please file a wishlist bug against it, then.

Cheers,
--
Raphal Hertzog

Contribuez Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/

Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >
> > I will do (thanks to Lucas Nussbaum) another archive rebuild in the
> > upcoming weeks to see if we have new failures. Hopefully the release team
> > can grant the status of release goal to this project so that we can more
> > easily NMU the remaining packages.
> >

> Will you do that only for packages which already use quilt?
> Or how will you rebuild packages with 3.0 (quilt) that already use dpatch or
> cdbs with simple-patchsys?

The implementation of "3.0 (quilt)" is done in a way that is (as much as
possible) not conflicting with all those patch systems. So I do nothing
special with those packages… many of them simply end up without quilt
series since all the relevant changes are in the other patch system.

That said, it is my hope that people will progressively switch to quilt
series so that we have less patch systems to deal with.

The NMU campaign certainly won't cover this, at least not for package that
do not FTBFS with the new source format. And even the others, it might be
possible that the only change done would be to add "1.0" in
debian/source/format to keep the old format until the maintainer decides
to switch to something else.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Lucas Nussbaum

On 05/03/09 at 22:35 +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > My goal is not only to accept them on ftp-master but also to update
> > dpkg-source to build new source package automatically. That's why I
> > rebuilt the archives to see what packages would not build with the
> > new format (without fixes). The failures are tracked here:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=hertzog@debian.org;tag=3.0-quilt-by-default
>
> Did you also test if they produce the same content?

Many packages don't produce the same content after each build, because
of timestamps written in some files, for example. I could easily check
that they provide the same binary packages according to debdiff,
but debdiff might miss several differences.

A long time ago, I started working on a tool to compare binary packages
in a much deeper way, but it's far from complete and would still
require too much manual review.
--
| lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas@nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

Old 03-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009, Luk Claes wrote:
> > as announced earlier during the lenny dev cycle, I would like to switch to
> > the new source package formats ("3.0 (quilt)" and "3.0 (native)") during
> > the squeeze cycle so that we can benefit from the numerous improvements.
> > For this kind of important change, it's best to start early in the release
> > cycle.
>
> What are the benefits of switching every package to the new formats?

We get the desired workflow for NMU an all packages: unpack, hack,
rebuild. The changes are directly stored in
debian/patches/debian-changes-<nmuversion>.

Also given that there are technical differences between the two formats,
it's best that we switch as quickly as possible (and a single dev cycle is
the shortest delay that is achievable IMO). When supporting people,
when working in a team, it's best to be able assume that everybody is using
the latest format which can't be done for a long time if we don't plan to
auto-switch to the new formats.

I hope that's the answer you expected, if you wanted me to comment on the
specific technical advantages of the new formats, I can explain them
but that's not how I understood your question.

> > My goal is not only to accept them on ftp-master but also to update
> > dpkg-source to build new source package automatically. That's why I
> > rebuilt the archives to see what packages would not build with the
> > new format (without fixes). The failures are tracked here:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=hertzog@debian.org;tag=3.0-quilt-by-default
>
> Did you also test if they produce the same content?

No. Help is welcome if someone want to test that. The main change that
can lead to differences in the content is the fact that many files are
ignored by default (like VCS-related files and temporary files).

> PS: There is no call for Release Goal proposals yet, though I think it
> would be a good idea to have a wiki page which all the info prepared
> already.

Is there a namespace on the wiki for this ? Or shall I create
wiki.d.o/Projects/deb-src-3.0 like I did for the symbols stuff at that
time ?

Cheers,