-   -   ITP: a routing failover daemon (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/256734-itp-routing-failover-daemon.html)

Russell Coker 03-04-2009 06:30 AM

ITP: a routing failover daemon

I have written a little Perl program that can ping two routers and configure
the routing table to route data to whichever router works.

Among other things it can be configured to run a script when a router becomes
available which can be used for a VPN.

If there is already a good program in Debian to do this then I may refrain
from adding another (ideally I wouldn't need to maintain my code any more).

My program will be released under the GPL.

I don't know what to name it, suggestions would be appreciated.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/ My Main Blog

Mike Hommey 03-04-2009 08:20 AM

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 06:30:43PM +1100, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> I have written a little Perl program that can ping two routers and configure
> the routing table to route data to whichever router works.
>
> Among other things it can be configured to run a script when a router becomes
> available which can be used for a VPN.
>
> If there is already a good program in Debian to do this then I may refrain
> from adding another (ideally I wouldn't need to maintain my code any more).
>
> My program will be released under the GPL.
>
> I don't know what to name it, suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe that could be something to add to guessnet ?

Mike

Russell Coker 03-04-2009 09:03 AM

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> Maybe that could be something to add to guessnet ?

Thanks for the suggestion, but the functionality is quite different.

Guessnet seems (from it's description) to be based on probing the LAN via ARP
etc. It's purpose seems to be to identify a network when it's connected.

My program is written for a permanently connected LAN segment which connects
to some routers. It will ping machines that are on different segments.

For example you have two wireless devices on your LAN using different
frequencies to reach another building. One wireless device is high speed and
will be the primary link. If you are unable to ping the far end-point of
that high-speed link then you route the data to the low-speed wireless
device.

If the wireless devices are utterly broken and can't operate as routers or
bridges then the program can establish VPN connections for routing.