Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Adeodato Simó

Default Up for adoption: Xiph.org and OpenEXR packages

Hello,

(pkg-multimedia-maintainers and pkg-phototools-devel Bcc'ed).

I have several packages (all libraries except one) I can no longer take
proper care of, and I'd appreciate if somebody/group who knows how to
maintain a library would step up and take them.

They come in two groups:

1. Xiph.org packages
====================

* libao
* libogg
* libspiff
* libtheora
* libvorbis
* uriparser
* vorbis-tools

I initiated some time ago a pkg-xiph project on Alioth to take care of
all these packages. For some time I've been unable to work on them, and
the person who has been doing all of the work since then has recently
stepped down as well.

Maybe pkg-multimedia would like/could take care of them? Or anybody else
wants to adopt the pkg-xiph project? (I'm CC'ing Peter Samuelson, who
expressed interest at some point.)

2. OpenEXR packages
===================

* openexr
* ilmbase

These two library packages I RFA'ed quite some time ago (#494877 and
#494878), but the person who expressed initial interest won't have time
any time soon, and has indicated it's okay to search for somebody else.

I have no idea if these would be appropriate for the pkg-phototools
group, but I guess it's worth a try. I'm also CC'ing the maintainer of
openexr-tools, Pino Toscano, in case he has particular interest in
OpenEXR packages.

I'll file RFA bugs in a week if this thread doesn't succeed, and fix RC
bugs during that period. If they are many, at some point I will have to
orphan them.

Many thanks in advance,

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
-- F. Nietzsche

Old 03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> (04/03/2009):
> (pkg-multimedia-maintainers and pkg-phototools-devel Bcc'ed).

The latter Cc'd this time.

> 2. OpenEXR packages
> ===================
>
> * openexr
> * ilmbase
>
> These two library packages I RFA'ed quite some time ago (#494877 and
> #494878), but the person who expressed initial interest won't have time
> any time soon, and has indicated it's okay to search for somebody else.

Indeed. I also totally forgot about them, which explains why I didn't
adopt them in the meanwhile.

> I have no idea if these would be appropriate for the pkg-phototools
> group, but I guess it's worth a try. I'm also CC'ing the maintainer of
> openexr-tools, Pino Toscano, in case he has particular interest in
> OpenEXR packages.

(Guess what, I belong to that group. )

> I'll file RFA bugs in a week if this thread doesn't succeed, and fix
> RC bugs during that period. If they are many, at some point I will
> have to orphan them.

Unless someone beats me to it, I think I should have more time in a few
weeks (beginning of April might be OK), so openexr & ilmbase could be
added to pkg-phototools in the end.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 12:31:25AM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> > I have no idea if these would be appropriate for the pkg-phototools
> > group, but I guess it's worth a try. I'm also CC'ing the maintainer of
> > openexr-tools, Pino Toscano, in case he has particular interest in
> > OpenEXR packages.
>
> (Guess what, I belong to that group. )

Argyll (#498396) might also be something you want in the
pkg-phototools group?

Kurt

Old 03-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Peter Samuelson

[Adeodato Simó]
> I initiated some time ago a pkg-xiph project on Alioth to take care of
> all these packages. For some time I've been unable to work on them, and
> the person who has been doing all of the work since then has recently
> stepped down as well.
>
> Maybe pkg-multimedia would like/could take care of them? Or anybody else
> wants to adopt the pkg-xiph project? (I'm CC'ing Peter Samuelson, who
> expressed interest at some point.)

I am interested in these, but I will have to look at these packages
today or tomorrow, to see if I think I can manage them. I do have some
library packaging experience.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Reinhard Tartler

Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> writes:

> [Adeodato Simó]
>> I initiated some time ago a pkg-xiph project on Alioth to take care of
>> all these packages. For some time I've been unable to work on them, and
>> the person who has been doing all of the work since then has recently
>> stepped down as well.
>>
>> Maybe pkg-multimedia would like/could take care of them? Or anybody else
>> wants to adopt the pkg-xiph project? (I'm CC'ing Peter Samuelson, who
>> expressed interest at some point.)
>
> I am interested in these, but I will have to look at these packages
> today or tomorrow, to see if I think I can manage them. I do have some
> library packaging experience.

If you feel maintaining these packages using git, you could consider
maintaining them in the pkg-multimedia team.

Otherwise keeping pkg-xiph independant would retain flexibility.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4