-   -   OSS-only applications (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/256430-oss-only-applications.html)

Samuel Thibault 03-03-2009 06:35 PM

OSS-only applications

Samuel Thibault, le Tue 03 Mar 2009 20:27:54 +0100, a écrit :
> Quite a few packages support only OSS, not ALSA.
> [...]
>
> Are there plans on this issue? Drop packages? Always load snd_pcm_oss?

Put another way: how severe should bugs like

#517853 [G|M| ] [saytime] saytime: depends on the OSS layer

be?

Samuel

Julien Cristau 03-03-2009 06:36 PM

OSS-only applications

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 20:27:54 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Are there plans on this issue? Drop packages? Always load snd_pcm_oss?

Make those packages depend on oss-compat?

Cheers,
Julien

Samuel Thibault 03-03-2009 06:44 PM

OSS-only applications

Julien Cristau, le Tue 03 Mar 2009 20:36:23 +0100, a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 20:27:54 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Are there plans on this issue? Drop packages? Always load snd_pcm_oss?
> >
> Make those packages depend on oss-compat?

Ah, didn't know that one. Very few packages depend on it, I guess bug
mass-filling could be useful?

Samuel

Paul Wise 03-04-2009 03:06 AM

OSS-only applications

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Samuel Thibault
<samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Quite a few packages support only OSS, not ALSA. *Nowadays there's quite
> little probability that your sound board only has an OSS driver, and so
> there is quite little probability that quite a few packages work out the
> box.

Is ALSA supported by kFreeBSD or hurd or other unofficial ports?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Cyril Brulebois 03-04-2009 03:25 AM

OSS-only applications

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> (04/03/2009):
> Is ALSA supported by kFreeBSD or hurd or other unofficial ports?

Last time I checked, GNU/kFreeBSD provided with OSS, not with ALSA
(which is, as its name suggests, Linux-specific).

Mraw,
KiBi.

"brian m. carlson" 03-04-2009 02:43 PM

OSS-only applications

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:25:48AM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> (04/03/2009):

Is ALSA supported by kFreeBSD or hurd or other unofficial ports?

Last time I checked, GNU/kFreeBSD provided with OSS, not with ALSA
(which is, as its name suggests, Linux-specific).

Yes. Nevertheless, there is a libsalsa that provides a libasound2
emulation layer for OSS. I'm not aware of whether it has been packaged
or even whether it is suitable, since I don't run GNU/kFreeBSD anymore.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack

Samuel Thibault 03-04-2009 04:36 PM

OSS-only applications

brian m. carlson, le Wed 04 Mar 2009 15:43:47 +0000, a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:25:48AM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> >Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> (04/03/2009):
> >>Is ALSA supported by kFreeBSD or hurd or other unofficial ports?
> >
> >Last time I checked, GNU/kFreeBSD provided with OSS, not with ALSA
> >(which is, as its name suggests, Linux-specific).
>
> Yes. Nevertheless, there is a libsalsa that provides a libasound2
> emulation layer for OSS.

It seems to build on hurd-i386 with a few patches, thanks for the hint.

Samuel

Mark Brown 03-04-2009 09:15 PM

OSS-only applications

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 03:43:47PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:

> Yes. Nevertheless, there is a libsalsa that provides a libasound2
> emulation layer for OSS. I'm not aware of whether it has been packaged
> or even whether it is suitable, since I don't run GNU/kFreeBSD anymore.

It should do the job fine if it works - the application interface for
ALSA on Linux is library-only, applications never have any dealings with
the ALSA drivers that aren't mediated via libasound2.