FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 PM
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

The upstream maintainers decided that in the future the files in
/etc/modprobe.d/ will be processed only if they have a .conf suffix.
The latest module-init-tool release complains loudly for each one and
still processes them, but this will change.

Please update your packages at the time of your next upload and remember
that the files in this directory are opened and parsed every time
modprobe is run (and it is run very often at boot time!), so
try to look at the big picture and install a file there only if it is
really needed. Do not install a file if it only contains comments, if
it is only useful for some unusual environment or if it not needed for
recent kernels (nowadays most drivers have their own aliases built in,
check /lib/modules/$KVER/modules.alias).

The packages affected are:

etc/modprobe.d/aliases admin/module-init-tools
etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base sound/alsa-base
etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist sound/alsa-base
etc/modprobe.d/blacklist admin/udev
etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-berry_charge utils/barry-util
etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-capiutils net/capiutils
etc/modprobe.d/display_class admin/udev
etc/modprobe.d/eeepc utils/eeepc-acpi-scripts
etc/modprobe.d/gpib science/libgpib-bin
etc/modprobe.d/hostap-utils net/hostap-utils
etc/modprobe.d/i2c utils/lm-sensors
etc/modprobe.d/kqemu misc/kqemu-common
etc/modprobe.d/libphidgets0 libs/libphidgets0
etc/modprobe.d/libpisock9 libs/libpisock9
etc/modprobe.d/libsane libs/libsane
etc/modprobe.d/madwifi contrib/net/madwifi-tools
etc/modprobe.d/mt-st admin/mt-st
etc/modprobe.d/mwave non-free/utils/mwavem
etc/modprobe.d/nbd-client admin/nbd-client
etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc contrib/x11/nvidia-kernel-common
etc/modprobe.d/pnp-hotplug admin/udev
etc/modprobe.d/rng-tools utils/rng-tools
etc/modprobe.d/rt73 contrib/net/rt73-common
etc/modprobe.d/sl-modem-daemon.modutils non-free/misc/sl-modem-daemon
etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad_acpi.modprobe admin/acpi-support
etc/modprobe.d/toshset utils/toshset
etc/modprobe.d/toshutils utils/toshutils
etc/modprobe.d/vmxnet contrib/admin/open-vm-tools

--
ciao,
Marco
 
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Steve Langasek
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:43:53AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> The upstream maintainers decided that in the future the files in
> /etc/modprobe.d/ will be processed only if they have a .conf suffix.

What is the point of this change, except to force an annoying transition on
people?

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 AM
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

On Mar 03, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:43:53AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > The upstream maintainers decided that in the future the files in
> > /etc/modprobe.d/ will be processed only if they have a .conf suffix.
> What is the point of this change, except to force an annoying transition on
> people?
Being sure to ignore backups, packaging systems files, etc.
It's not that I like this much, but I'd rather not carry forever a patch
to restore the old behaviour.

--
ciao,
Marco
 
Old 03-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Joey Hess
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

Thought this would be a good opportunity to remind y'all
about dh_installmodules(1), which can handle
modprobe.d files in addition to kernel modules. Most packages
shipping files in modprobe.d seem to generate the files via
echo statements in debian/rules, rather than using it.

dh_installmodules will handle renaming of the modprobe.d
files that it installs, in its next release. Including
conffile renaming on upgrade. So using it instead of those
echo statements will probably save you some pain.

<winge>
Insert the typical winge here about dpkg conffile renaming code
being deployed via cut-n-paste from a wiki page instead of any
of our better technologies, such as a utility, with a man page,
in a single package.
</winge>

--
see shy jo, who wishes he had his own fan newsgroup
 
Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Steve Langasek
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 03:09:52AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 03, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:43:53AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > > The upstream maintainers decided that in the future the files in
> > > /etc/modprobe.d/ will be processed only if they have a .conf suffix.
> > What is the point of this change, except to force an annoying transition on
> > people?
> Being sure to ignore backups, packaging systems files, etc.
> It's not that I like this much, but I'd rather not carry forever a patch
> to restore the old behaviour.

Is there a chance upstream would accept a patch to implement this as a
blacklist instead of a whitelist?

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Steve Langasek
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:02:11PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> <winge>
> Insert the typical winge here about dpkg conffile renaming code
> being deployed via cut-n-paste from a wiki page instead of any
> of our better technologies, such as a utility, with a man page,
> in a single package.
> </winge>

It would of course have to be in an Essential: yes package, since conffile
renaming has to be handled in the package preinst and we wouldn't want
conffile handling to involve lots of extra Pre-Depends. dpkg itself is the
most likely package to carry this - wishlist bug on dpkg warranted?

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:02:11PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > <winge>
> > Insert the typical winge here about dpkg conffile renaming code
> > being deployed via cut-n-paste from a wiki page instead of any
> > of our better technologies, such as a utility, with a man page,
> > in a single package.
> > </winge>
>
> It would of course have to be in an Essential: yes package, since conffile
> renaming has to be handled in the package preinst and we wouldn't want
> conffile handling to involve lots of extra Pre-Depends. dpkg itself is the
> most likely package to carry this - wishlist bug on dpkg warranted?

It's already there:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=514316

I would happily include such a file, though it probably needs some thought
on the API before we commit to support it for eternity. Feel free to help
and make a proposal/patch.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Le best-seller français mis à jour pour Debian Etch :
http://www.ouaza.com/livre/admin-debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Ferdi Thommes
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

after upgrading module-init-tools in unstable just now the boot process shows
a lot of warnings like:

modprobe: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, it
will be ignored in a future release.

there is blocks of those lines, one for each file in /modprobe.d,
those blocks are repeated 6 times during boot.

regards



--
Ferdi Thommes
2.Vorsitzender
sidux e.V.
_________________


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

On Mar 03, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> Is there a chance upstream would accept a patch to implement this as a
> blacklist instead of a whitelist?
This is how it used to work (and still does).

--
ciao,
Marco
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Roger Leigh
 
Default the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 03:09:52AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 03, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:43:53AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > > The upstream maintainers decided that in the future the files in
> > > /etc/modprobe.d/ will be processed only if they have a .conf suffix.
> > What is the point of this change, except to force an annoying transition on
> > people?
> Being sure to ignore backups, packaging systems files, etc.
> It's not that I like this much, but I'd rather not carry forever a patch
> to restore the old behaviour.

run-parts uses a set of simple regular expressions to ignore both backup
files and dpkg conffile leftovers. This is the relevent code from the
schroot run-parts class:

bool match = false;

static regex lanana_namespace("^[a-z0-9]+$");
static regex lsb_namespace("^_?([a-z0-9_.]+-)+[a-z0-9]+$");
static regex debian_cron_namespace("^[a-z0-9][a-z0-9-]*$");
static regex debian_dpkg_conffile_cruft("dpkg-(old|dist|new|tmp)$");

if ((regex_search(name, lanana_namespace) ||
regex_search(name, lsb_namespace) ||
regex_search(name, debian_cron_namespace)) &&
!regex_search(name, debian_dpkg_conffile_cruft))
match = true;

You could easily adapt these expressions and logic (if needed,
they are very general) for use by modprobe.


Regards,
Roger


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org