Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Ondrej Certik

Default Piotrek's new preferred helper tool - (unfair) decision

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> [Piotr Ożarowski, 2009-02-18]
>> [...] it's time however to decide which one will be my
>> winner - I'll decide that in next weeks (maybe months, but it
>> will happen sooner than later
>
> Since nobody is interested in having the tools binary compatible[1]
> (and, to be honest, I cared about opinion of two guys only: Matthias
> voted "no" by not agreeing to use /usr/lib/pyshared and Joss expressed
> his disapproval on #debian-python) - I choose python-support to be my
> preferred tool (no, not the "winner", I only wanted to provoke you both
> to make a consensus and thus not let me decide about anything).
>
> I'm not saying one of them is better than the other (although I was more a
> pycentral guy, Ana knows something about it[2]) - I'm saying I have more
> influence on how the tool looks like (f.e. via reporting bugs) and changes are
> more predictable in pysupport.
>
> You can now prove me how wrong decision I made but... I don't care ;-P
> I propose to file bugs against python-support instead (Joss will talk you to
> death if it's not really a bug ;-)

I fully agree. Let's just concentrate all our effort on one system, so
I am glad you finally made a decision. I'll convert all my packages to
python-support soon.

Ondrej

Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Michal Čihař

Hi

Dne Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:17:52 +0100
Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> napsal(a):

> Since nobody is interested in having the tools binary compatible[1]
> (and, to be honest, I cared about opinion of two guys only: Matthias
> voted "no" by not agreeing to use /usr/lib/pyshared and Joss expressed
> his disapproval on #debian-python) - I choose python-support to be my
> preferred tool (no, not the "winner", I only wanted to provoke you both
> to make a consensus and thus not let me decide about anything).
>
> I'm not saying one of them is better than the other (although I was more a
> pycentral guy, Ana knows something about it[2]) - I'm saying I have more
> influence on how the tool looks like (f.e. via reporting bugs) and changes are
> more predictable in pysupport.
>
> You can now prove me how wrong decision I made but... I don't care ;-P
> I propose to file bugs against python-support instead (Joss will talk you to
> death if it's not really a bug ;-)
>
> Anyway, as promised: I will convert all my python-central based packages to
> python-support soon, will *not* sponsor python-central based package anymore
> (except packages for Lenny) - my FAQ is already updated, and will try to
> convince other DDs to do the same.

Okay, lets make this move. Basically I've already started with this
conversion on my packages some time ago, for much more important
reason - dh does not need extra parameters for python-support ;-).