Old 02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Sam Hartman

Default Please test krb5 from experimental--even if you don't use Kerberos

Folks, I'd appreciate it if people could try and test version 1.6.dfsg.4~beta1-8 from experimental of the krb5 package.

The biggest change is a packaging reorganization. So, while I'm
certainly interested in Kerberos users testing the packages, I'm most
interested in people other than me confirming that they don't break
your system.

This really works best from an unstable system. Make sure
experimental is in your apt sources.
(Note these are only built for i386 now; I'll upload an amd64 build shortly)

aptitude update
aptitude -t experimental install libkrb53

If that works, then test reverse depenndencies of krb5 such as ssh,
the bind9 host command, etc.

If they don't give shared library load errors, then things look good;
drop me a note. If you notice problems, then please file bugs.

If you either want to downgrade or need to downgrade, here are downgrade instructions.
They are a bit tricky because of the transition involved.

* Downgrading from this version to a previous version can be
difficult because of library name changes. Please follow these
instructions:
- Get the libkrb53 and libkadm55 debs you want to downgrade to
-dpkg --force-depends --remove libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libdes425-3
libgssapi-krb5-2 libgssrpc4 libkadm5clnt5 libkadm5srv5 libkdb5-4
libk5crypto3
- At this point your system has broken Kerberos libraries
- dpkg -i libkrb53*deb libkadm55*deb (using the debs you got above)
- aptitude -f install to fix any other packages that may be broken

(N.B. a similar version of these instructions is included in the
NEWS.debian file. There are two types. There should be a space
between --force-depends and --remove. ALso it is libk5crypto3 not
libkrb5crypto3; that will be corrected in the next upload)