Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Norbert Preining

Default CC Attribution ShareALike (CC-by-sa) 3.0

Hi everyone,

it is quite hard to get definitive answer on the above license.
Interestingly the Debian wiki says that
In contrast to the CC-SA 2.0 license, version 3.0 is considered
to be compatible to the DFSG.
and there are many discussions about the CC-BY-SA but no definitive
answer.

Does anyone know anything about that license?

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org> Debian TeX Group
BLEAN
Scientific measure of luminosity : 1 glimmer = 100,000
bleans. Usherettes' torches are designed to produce between 2.5 and 4
bleans, enabling them to assist you in falling downstairs, treading on
people or putting your hand into a Neapolitan tub when reaching for
change.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> (27/02/2009):
> it is quite hard to get definitive answer on the above license.
> Interestingly the Debian wiki says that
> In contrast to the CC-SA 2.0 license, version 3.0 is considered
> to be compatible to the DFSG.
> and there are many discussions about the CC-BY-SA but no definitive
> answer.

ISTR (some of) -legal@ saying not DFSG-compliant, ftpmasters saying yes,
but that's only my (bad) memory.

> Does anyone know anything about that license?

Looking at the pool:
| kibi@gluck:/org/lintian.debian.org/laboratory/source$ grep -i cc-by-sa */debfiles/copyright
| botan/debfiles/copyright:License: CC-BY-SA-2.5
| botan-devel/debfiles/copyright:License: CC-BY-SA-2.5
| freedink-data/debfiles/copyright: License: CC-BY-SA 3.0 Unported
| freedink-data/debfiles/copyright: License: GPLv3+ | Art Libre | CC-BY-SA
| freedink-data/debfiles/copyright: License: GPLv3+ | Art Libre | CC-BY-SA
| freedink-data/debfiles/copyright: License: GPLv3+ | Art Libre | CC-BY-SA
| freedink-data/debfiles/copyright: License: CC-BY-SA
| gnuit/debfiles/copyright: "CC-BY-SA" means the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0
| gnuit/debfiles/copyright: under CC-BY-SA on the same site at any time before August 1, 2009,
| grub2-splashimages/debfiles/copyright: Aesculus_hippocastanum_fruit.tga Andrew Dunn [[:en:User:Solipsist]] CC-BY-SA-2.0
| grub2-splashimages/debfiles/copyright: Flower_jtca001.tga Sam Oth [[:c:User:World Trekker]] CC-BY-SA-2.5
| grub2-splashimages/debfiles/copyright: Plasma-lamp.tga Luc Viatour [[:c:User:Lviatour]] GNU FDL >= 1.2 or CC-BY-SA 2.5, 2.0, and 1.0
| grub2-splashimages/debfiles/copyright: Sparkler.tga Gabriel Pollard <gabriel.pollard@wikinewsie.org> CC-BY-SA 2.5
| grub2-splashimages/debfiles/copyright:License (CC-BY-SA 2.5):
| grub2-splashimages/debfiles/copyright:License (CC-BY-SA 2.0):
| libtasn1-3/debfiles/copyright: “CC-BY-SA” means the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license
| libtasn1-3/debfiles/copyright: under CC-BY-SA on the same site at any time before August 1, 2009, provided
| oxine/debfiles/copyright:License: CC-BY-SA-2
| splint/debfiles/copyright: > (under which the splint software itself is licensed) or CC-BY-SA 3.0
| splint/debfiles/copyright: I hereby release that code under CC-BY-SA 3.0.
| splint/debfiles/copyright: post using CC-BY-SA 3.0. He on behalf of Duolog is okay with this, as am
| splint/debfiles/copyright: Please use the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license to license this post.
| splint/debfiles/copyright: which the splint software itself is licensed) or CC-BY-SA 3.0 (under
| terminator/debfiles/copyright: Cory Kontros - Produced our current icon under the CC-by-SA licence
| warzone2100/debfiles/copyright:License: CC-BY-SA-3.0
| warzone2100/debfiles/copyright:License: CC-BY-SA-3.0
| wound-up/debfiles/copyright:> music licenced under the CC-by v2.0 (the game itself is CC-by-sa v3.0).

freedink-data having seen a single upload, there's no doubts its current
license has been approved by ftpmasters, and that it hasn't been altered
afterwards.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Holger Levsen

Hi,

On Freitag, 27. Februar 2009, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> ISTR (some of) -legal@ saying not DFSG-compliant,

some people on -legal will always disagree, what counts more is the (rough)
consenus...

> ftpmasters saying yes,

and ftpmaster, obviously

> Looking at the pool:

wow, I'm surprised to see 2.0 and 2.5 licences there. AFAIU (and I've read
those licences...) and AFAIK, cc-by-sa 3.0 is fine for main, previous
versions not. So I guess some bugs are in order to be filed...

regards,
Holger

Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le vendredi 27 fvrier 2009 15:46 +0100, Holger Levsen a crit :
> wow, I'm surprised to see 2.0 and 2.5 licences there. AFAIU (and I've read
> those licences...) and AFAIK, cc-by-sa 3.0 is fine for main, previous
> versions not. So I guess some bugs are in order to be filed...

Anyway, versions 2.0 and 2.5 allow relicensing to 3.0, so if we accept
3.0, the older versions are a non-issue.

--
.'`. Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :

Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Holger Levsen

On Freitag, 27. Februar 2009, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Anyway, versions 2.0 and 2.5 allow relicensing to 3.0

By anyone?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le vendredi 27 fvrier 2009 16:02 +0100, Holger Levsen a crit :
> On Freitag, 27. Februar 2009, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Anyway, versions 2.0 and 2.5 allow relicensing to 3.0
>
> By anyone?

4b :

You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the
terms of this License, a later version of this License with the
same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons
iCommons license that contains the same License Elements as this
License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Japan).

Since a Debian package is clearly a derivative work, we can distribute
Debian packages of CC-BY-SA 2.0 software under CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 AM
Luca Capello

Hi there!

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:08:35 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> (27/02/2009):
>> Does anyone know anything about that license?
>
> Looking at the pool:
> | kibi@gluck:/org/lintian.debian.org/laboratory/source$ grep -i cc-by-sa */debfiles/copyright

This does not match everything, since some packages can list the full
license name only, e.g. Hunchentoot:

The logo is Copyright 2007-2008 Uwe von Loh <uvl@htg1.de> and is
licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United
States License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/):

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> (28/02/2009):
> This does not match everything, since some packages can list the full
> license name only, e.g. Hunchentoot: […]

Never said it would. The idea was just to point to an obvious example
showing ftpmasters' acceptance of such a package.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
MJ Ray

Holger Levsen <holger <at> layer-acht.org> writes:
> On Freitag, 27. Februar 2009, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > ISTR (some of) -legal@ saying not DFSG-compliant,
>
> some people on -legal will always disagree, what counts more is the (rough)
> consenus...

Sure, but I thought we had an explicit consensus on discrimination against
fields of endeavour, which is seen in CC-By 3.0 4.a about "effective
technological measures".

Happily, that's only a lawyerbomb (in that no-one, even within CC, seemed
to agree what it means for debian - is offering source code enough to
satisfy it?) and not a current live problem.

Beware some of the "ported" CCs which include the trademark notice by
mistake and produced a licence which failed to follow DFSG - and some were
incompatible with other CC licences.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray