Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Steve Langasek

Default squeeze and the future of the alpha port, redux

Dear Alpha fans,

In August of last year, I posed the question to the debian-alpha mailing
list: should Debian continue to support an alpha port following the release
of lenny?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2008/08/msg00004.html

As would be expected when making such a post to the debian-alpha list, there
were a number of responses from users who expressed dismay at the prospect
of Debian no longer supporting alpha in squeeze.

Also unsurprisingly (to me, given my observations that had led to the post
in the first place), no one else has yet stepped up to be an alpha porter
for squeeze.

I linked to
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
as a starting point for folks to get involved in trying to help with the
alpha port if they want to see it continue in squeeze. Well, only 9 of
those bugs have been closed in the past year, with 31 other bugs open, not
to mention the serious problems of the port's viability implied by things
like the lack of Java support and the general absence of a porter community.

For Lenny, I was the sole Debian developer willing to put his name down as a
porter on <http://wiki.debian.org/alphaLennyReleaseRecertification>. For
Squeeze, I am not willing to put my name down without a significant show of
committment on the part of other developers. By all rights, alpha shouldn't
even have released with Lenny given the state of its porter support; it's
effectively coasted for the past year (I haven't even had a running alpha
for the past five months owing to a hardware failure), and I don't want to
see it coast its way into Squeeze.

I've cc:ed everyone who listed themselves as an alpha porter for etch on
<http://wiki.debian.org/alphaEtchReleaseRecertification>, to make sure
anyone willing to do the work on alpha for Squeeze has an opportunity to do
so. But in the absence of some demonstration of committment in the next
couple of weeks, on March 7 I'll plan to ask the ftp team and the release
team to drop alpha from the archive for testing and unstable.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Michael Cree

Steve Langasek wrote:

Also unsurprisingly (to me, given my observations that had led to the post
in the first place), no one else has yet stepped up to be an alpha porter
for squeeze.

What is involved in this job? What is the time commitment? What is the
needed experience?

Up to now I have only being doing testing and some basic debugging, but
only in packages that are particularly of interest to me. I am now
starting to get familiar with the Debian package build tools.

I linked to
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
as a starting point for folks to get involved in trying to help with the
alpha port if they want to see it continue in squeeze.

I believe I am capable of tracking down some of those bugs, but I won't
be able to make a start for at least another two months or so due to
other commitments I have at the moment.

But in the absence of some demonstration of committment in the next
couple of weeks, on March 7 I'll plan to ask the ftp team and the release
team to drop alpha from the archive for testing and unstable.

Ouch! Just when the patches to provide PCI resource files under sysfs
on Alpha have materialised, and I was so looking forward to the new
xserver propagating through to unstable and testing.

Michael.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Arthur Loiret

Hi,

2009/2/20, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
> Also unsurprisingly (to me, given my observations that had led to the post
> in the first place), no one else has yet stepped up to be an alpha porter
> for squeeze.

I am volunteer to apply as alpha porter. I have several alpha machines
of my own, which makes it easy to debug a failure on alpha.

> I linked to
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
> as a starting point for folks to get involved in trying to help with the
> alpha port if they want to see it continue in squeeze. Well, only 9 of
> those bugs have been closed in the past year, with 31 other bugs open, not
> to mention the serious problems of the port's viability implied by things
> like the lack of Java support and the general absence of a porter community.

I will have a look to them this week. Talking about upstream support,
Andrew Morton is not giving up the alpha port and always apply patches
very fast. On the gcc side, Uros Bizjak has fixed nearly all major
issues in the alpha port, and the glibc can be built with recent gcc
versions again.

I've also setup an alpha buildd to check all FTBFS (using quinn-diff),
already 138 packages built since yesterday evening :-)

> I've cc:ed everyone who listed themselves as an alpha porter for etch on
> <http://wiki.debian.org/alphaEtchReleaseRecertification>, to make sure
> anyone willing to do the work on alpha for Squeeze has an opportunity to do
> so. But in the absence of some demonstration of committment in the next
> couple of weeks, on March 7 I'll plan to ask the ftp team and the release
> team to drop alpha from the archive for testing and unstable.

I can provide access to some hardware if anybody else is interested in
contributing to the alpha port.

Thanks,

Arthur.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
maximilian attems

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:59:31AM +0100, Arthur Loiret wrote:

> 2009/2/20, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
> > Also unsurprisingly (to me, given my observations that had led to the post
> > in the first place), no one else has yet stepped up to be an alpha porter
> > for squeeze.
>
> I am volunteer to apply as alpha porter. I have several alpha machines
> of my own, which makes it easy to debug a failure on alpha.

no only due to the demand post release,
it is good to rethink the end of life of alpha.

> > I've cc:ed everyone who listed themselves as an alpha porter for etch on
> > <http://wiki.debian.org/alphaEtchReleaseRecertification>, to make sure
> > anyone willing to do the work on alpha for Squeeze has an opportunity to do
> > so. But in the absence of some demonstration of committment in the next
> > couple of weeks, on March 7 I'll plan to ask the ftp team and the release
> > team to drop alpha from the archive for testing and unstable.
>
> I can provide access to some hardware if anybody else is interested in
> contributing to the alpha port.

it be cool to have a kernel alpha buildserver so that alpha
get autobuild before upload.

i'd volounteer in refreshing the config settings for alpha on linux-2.6
side, they haven't seen care for quite some time.

kind regards

--
maks