FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Guy Coates
 
Default Bug#516096: ITP: libibumad -- OpenFabrics Alliance InfiniBand umad (user MAD) library

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Guy Coates <gmpc@sanger.ac.uk>


* Package name : libibumad
Version : 1.2.3
Upstream Author : Voltaire, Inc.
* URL : http://www.openfabrics.org
* License : GPL-2 / BSD dual licence
Programming Lang: C
Description : OpenFabrics Alliance InfiniBand umad (user MAD) library

libibumad provides the user MAD library functions which sit on top of
the user MAD modules in the kernel. These are used by the IB diagnostic
and management tools, including OpenSM.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 5.0
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)


--
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Bernd Schubert
 
Default Bug#516096: ITP: libibumad -- OpenFabrics Alliance InfiniBand umad (user MAD) library

Guus Sliepen wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:31:43AM +0000, Guy Coates wrote:
>
>> * Package name : libibumad
>> Version : 1.2.3
>> Upstream Author : Voltaire, Inc.
>> * URL : http://www.openfabrics.org
>
> I do not see a libibumad tarball there, I did find OFED-1.4.tgz which
> contained a SRPM for it... if this is the only way upstream distributes
> these libraries, please suggest to them that it is better if they publish
> normal tarballs.

Hmm, that is the difficult part. There are individual packages and there is
OFED. OFED is a collection of many packages, mostly not the recent version,
but a more tested stable version. E.g. IB management packages can be found
here: http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/management/

I already wondered all the time, which would be better for Debian, the
packages from OFED or the individual packages. IHMO, extracting all the
srpms is a pain...

>
>> Description : OpenFabrics Alliance InfiniBand umad (user MAD)
>> library
>>
>> libibumad provides the user MAD library functions which sit on top of
>> the user MAD modules in the kernel. These are used by the IB diagnostic
>> and management tools, including OpenSM.
>
> I have absolutely no clue what this does, except that it has something to
> do
> with InfiniBand. What is MAD? What is OpenSM? What functionality does
> this library provide? Also drop "OpenFabrics Alliance" from the short
> description. If you want to mention it, do it in the long description.
>

The problem is, there is nowhere a real description of what all these IB
libraries are actually doing. MAD = management datagram. As far as I
understand it, you need this library to send IB management packages from
user space.
OpenSM = open subnet manager. Each IB network needs at least one running
subnet manager, which controls the routing between ports. From the man page
of opensm:

opensm provides an implementation of an InfiniBand Subnet Manager and
Administration. Such a software entity is required to run for
in order to initialize the InfiniBand hardware (at least one per each
InfiniBand subnet).

Guy, it is a bit a pity, since you did all the work again, we already had
done at q-leap IMHO all these IB packages are too many for one
maintainer, what do you think to make an alioth for these?

Cheers,
Bernd


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Guy Coates
 
Default Bug#516096: ITP: libibumad -- OpenFabrics Alliance InfiniBand umad (user MAD) library

> The problem is, there is nowhere a real description of what all these IB
> libraries are actually doing. MAD = management datagram. As far as I
> understand it, you need this library to send IB management packages from
> user space.

I've dug around the openfabrics website, and have unearthed better descriptions
for the libraries.

> I already wondered all the time, which would be better for Debian, the
> packages from OFED or the individual packages. IHMO, extracting all the
> srpms is a pain...

I suspect the answer will be "it depends"; some people will want the latest
available versions, and some will want the "stable" version to build 3rd party
apps against.

>
> Guy, it is a bit a pity, since you did all the work again, we already had
> done at q-leap IMHO all these IB packages are too many for one
> maintainer, what do you think to make an alioth for these?
>

That would be a good start; it will at least stop anyone else from attempting a
3rd packaging attempt! FYI, I have (mostly lintian clean) packages for the rest
of OFED 1.4 , I just haven't ITPd them.

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates, Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1223 834244 x 6925
Fax: +44 (0)1223 496802


--
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org