Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Bertrand Marc

Default PlayOnLinux in contrib

Hi,

I am the current owner of the ITP bug #485149 for PlayOnLinux and I have
a question about this (free) software. PlayOnLinux is a front-end for
Wine. Its aim is to provide a nice way (without command line) to install
programs built for Windows. Therefore it allows the user to install
proprietary softwares (in /home of course) such as commercial games and
other closed source softwares.

The PlayOnLinux program itself is written under the GPL2+ so I (and my
sponsor) think it could be uploaded to contrib. Do you think such a
program which allows to easily install proprietary softs in a Debian
system would be acceptable in contrib and would not be a policy violation ?

Regards,
Bertrand Marc

PS Please CC me as I am not on this list.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Allan Lyons

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:57:51PM +0100, Bertrand Marc wrote:

> The PlayOnLinux program itself is written under the GPL2+ so I (and my
> sponsor) think it could be uploaded to contrib. Do you think such a
> program which allows to easily install proprietary softs in a Debian
> system would be acceptable in contrib and would not be a policy violation
> ?

Well, GCC allows the compilation of proprietary software and GCC is included in Debian. There are also already other tools in Debian
that make it easy to install proprietary software. Such tools include apt-get, aptitude, rpm, yum, etc.

Also, what you are describing should also work to install GPL software on Linux that happens to be written for Windows.

As I recall the policy, whether a package belongs in main, contrib, or non-free has more to do with the dependencies and license of
that particular package rather than what it can be used for.

Allan.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Mehdi Dogguy

Bertrand Marc wrote:

> The PlayOnLinux program itself is written under the GPL2+ so I (and my
> sponsor) think it could be uploaded to contrib. Do you think such a
> program which allows to easily install proprietary softs in a Debian
> system would be acceptable in contrib and would not be a policy violation ?

If it's GPLv2+ and doesn't depend on proprietary software, why it cannot
be in main?
Does it depend on proprietary things?

Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدقي
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~dogguy
Tel.: (+33).1.44.27.28.38

Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Bertrand Marc

Mehdi Dogguy a crit :

If it's GPLv2+ and doesn't depend on proprietary software, why it cannot
be in main?
Does it depend on proprietary things?

Regards,
As it is now, PlayOnLinux makes the user install Microsoft fonts. You
can say no, but it will keep asking every time you start PlayOnLinux. We
are currently thinking to add a Depends: ttf-mscorefonts-installer
because of that...

Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Bertrand Marc <beberking@gmail.com> (18/02/2009):
> As it is now, PlayOnLinux makes the user install Microsoft fonts. You
> can say no, but it will keep asking every time you start PlayOnLinux.
> We are currently thinking to add a Depends: ttf-mscorefonts-installer
> because of that...

I'm not very clueful about ttf-mscorefonts-installer, but maybe
ttf-liberation would help?

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 PM
William Pitcock

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 19:30 +0100, Bertrand Marc wrote:
> Mehdi Dogguy a crit :
> > If it's GPLv2+ and doesn't depend on proprietary software, why it cannot
> > be in main?
> > Does it depend on proprietary things?
> >
> > Regards,
> As it is now, PlayOnLinux makes the user install Microsoft fonts. You
> can say no, but it will keep asking every time you start PlayOnLinux. We
> are currently thinking to add a Depends: ttf-mscorefonts-installer
> because of that...

Or you could patch it to stop asking.

William