Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Julien Cristau

Default debian/rules being or not a makefile

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 11:16 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Why would we want to sanction that when the same effect can be achieved by
> > using a debian/rules of:
> > #!/usr/bin/make -f
> > %:
> > dh $@
> > without risking breaking any existing assumptions or software?
>
> Which software would be affected?

dpkg-source -b, for one. You can't put a symlink in the diff.gz.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mardi 17 février 2009 à 13:03 +0100, Julien Cristau a écrit :
> dpkg-source -b, for one. You can't put a symlink in the diff.gz.

Is that still a problem with the quilt source package format?

--
.'`. Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :

Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Adeodato Simó

* Julien Cristau [Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:03:18 +0100]:

> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 11:16 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > Why would we want to sanction that when the same effect can be achieved by
> > > using a debian/rules of:
> > > #!/usr/bin/make -f
> > > %:
> > > dh $@
> > > without risking breaking any existing assumptions or software?

> > Which software would be affected?

> dpkg-source -b, for one. You can't put a symlink in the diff.gz.

I thought exactly the same, but this could be a feature (the -> dh
symlink) that v3 source packages could use.

However, I don't think it's a good idea at all, and hope it doesn't go
forward.

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in
despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the
implacable grandeur of this life.
-- Albert Camus

Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Loïc Minier

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > > Why would we want to sanction that when the same effect can be achieved by
> > > using a debian/rules of:
> > > #!/usr/bin/make -f
> > > %:
> > > dh $@
> > > without risking breaking any existing assumptions or software?
> > Which software would be affected?
> dpkg-source -b, for one. You can't put a symlink in the diff.gz.

I was wondering what software would break if debian/rules isn't a
makefile, not particularly a symlink (I think you can have symlinks in
native packages though).

--
Loïc Minier

Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Russ Allbery

Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Why would we want to sanction that when the same effect can be achieved by
>> using a debian/rules of:

>> #!/usr/bin/make -f
>> %:
>> dh $@

>> without risking breaking any existing assumptions or software?

> Which software would be affected?

A variety of things that are probably fixable, but I don't see why we
should go to the effort. For example, that would confuse Lintian and
require special-casing there (and even more special-casing if someone gets
the bright idea to do that with four other packaging helpers). As
mentioned, dpkg-source -b can't represent the symlink. Anything that uses
make -f debian/rules would break; I don't know if anything currently does
that, but per Policy it's currently required to work.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with the idea in the abstract, but
it breaks various guarantees that are currently present in Policy for no
compelling reason that I can see. That to me makes it exactly the sort of
thing that you're not supposed to do with standards. Once something is
written into the standard, changes should be judged against whether
there's a compelling reason for change even if no one is aware of anything
specific that the change would break.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 17 février 2009 à 13:03 +0100, Julien Cristau a écrit :
> > dpkg-source -b, for one. You can't put a symlink in the diff.gz.
>
> Is that still a problem with the quilt source package format?

No. (But I don't like the idea of having debian/rules a symlink either)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog