Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 PM
"Sandro Tosi"

Default g++/cpp segmentation fault on amd64

Hi all,
it's since 1 month (more or less) that g++ and cpp have problems on my
box. I recieve the errors compiling some of my packages:

anymeal

checking whether g++ supports -Wno-non-virtual-dtor... no
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** [config.status] Error 1
debuild: fatal error at line 1237:
debian/rules build failed

mp3val

# Add here commands to compile the package.
/usr/bin/make -f Makefile.linux CXXFLAGS='-Wall -g -O2'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/morph/deb/build-area/mp3val-0.1.7'
g++ -Wall -g -O2 -c -o main.o main.cpp
g++: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions, see
<URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.2/README.Bugs>.

make[1]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/morph/deb/build-area/mp3val-0.1.7'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1237:
debian/rules build failed

mysql-navigator

checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1
debuild: fatal error at line 1237:
debian/rules build failed

wmmixer

/usr/bin/make CXXFLAGS="-Wall -g -O2"
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/morph/deb/build-area/wmmixer-1.5'
g++ -Wall -g -O2 -c -o xhandler.o xhandler.cc
g++: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions, see
<URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.2/README.Bugs>.

make[1]: *** [xhandler.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/morph/deb/build-area/wmmixer-1.5'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1237:
debian/rules build failed

Programs versions are:

$ g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 4.2.3 20071123 (prerelease) (Debian 4.2.2-4)

$ /lib/cpp --version
cpp (GCC) 4.2.3 20071123 (prerelease) (Debian 4.2.2-4)

I really don't know how to trace deeper this issue, and neither if
it's amd64 related or not (so I added d-amd64 list). Can someone help
me fix this?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sandro

Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 16:27 +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hi all,
> it's since 1 month (more or less) that g++ and cpp have problems on my
> box. I recieve the errors compiling some of my packages:
<snip>

I suspect that either:

(1) A gcc binary is corrupted - use debsums to check this
(2) Your computer has a hardware fault that causes data corruption - see
http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ for some hints on troubleshooting (though
this is quite old)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Anthony's Law of Force: Don't force it, get a larger hammer.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:19 PM
"Sandro Tosi"

> > Hi all,
> > it's since 1 month (more or less) that g++ and cpp have problems on my
> > box. I recieve the errors compiling some of my packages:
> <snip>
>
> I suspect that either:
>
> (1) A gcc binary is corrupted - use debsums to check this

# debsums | grep -v OK
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2/cc1plus FAILED

That was the problem (even if I really don't know how this could be
happened: the pc is new, bought 2 months ago)!! After a

# apt-get --reinstall install g++-4.2

everything is working fine now!

Thanks a lot Ben for the help,
Sandro

Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> # debsums | grep -v OK
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2/cc1plus FAILED
>
> That was the problem (even if I really don't know how this could be
> happened: the pc is new, bought 2 months ago)!! After a

IMO you should do a throughout 48h check on the system memory, and run the
smart long self-tests on the disks. That one reeks of data corruption, and
bad memory is the most common reason for that, but bad SATA cables or bad
disks could also be the cause. There is also the kernel bugs in the
filesystem or vfs layers, but I don't know of any such a bug in the field
right now...

Henrique Holschuh