Old 02-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Philipp Kern

Default About the current state of the Yum package in Lenny

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 02:35:20AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Philipp Kern wrote:
> > I'm curious why python-pyme is not sufficient.
> It's simply a MISTAKE that has been done by the last maintainer of yum,
> python-pyme is NOT the correct python package, python-gpgme is the right
> one. python-pyme is fully in python, while python-gpgme is written in C.
> Maybe it would be possible to have yum working with python-pyme (I
> didn't dive into it, and have no intention to do so), but I think it's
> really not worth so much trouble having a special crafted yum that will
> be different from upstream, when the solution is to use the correct package.

Did you take a look at the source? Well, I did now. Exactly two functions
are affected: return_keyids_from_pubring and import_key_to_pubring, both
in misc.py.

While it was obviously wrong by the yum maintainer to apply that patch
to correct the import[0], it should also be easy to port it to pyme[1].
Considering that only few lines of Python are needed, maybe you could
concentrate on that.

> No new package == no working yum.

Re python-iniparse: why should it be needed? There is a ImportError
guard in the source so that it falls back to Python's ConfigParser.
Paste the error to the bug report and maybe fix the import.

Leaving your rant aside: maybe you should just get someone who knows
Python to fix the bug. It seems reasonably easy to be and within the
scope of a patch that could be accepted.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

[0] http://patch-tracking.debian.net/patch/misc/view/yum/3.2.12-1.2/yum/misc.py
[1] http://pyme.sourceforge.net/doc/pyme/
--
.'`. Philipp Kern Debian Developer
: :' : http://philkern.de Release Assistant

Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Vincent Danjean

Hi,

I few general remarks about packaging in Debian (I never used yum nor
rpm).

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Philipp Kern wrote:
>> Anyway: there won't be new packages introduced into Lenny.
[...]
> How can I provide a set of patches when the problem is that 2 python
> modules are needed? We can't ship these 2 python modules in yum, this
> goes against the policy, and against any reasonable thinking.

I think that that the best you can do (if you want to work on this issue) is:
1) propose patches to yum/rpm (via BTS or by [co-]maintaining the package if it
is possible) so that we get a good working yum/rpm in unstable
2) wait for yum/rpm (and other new packages if any) available in testing and
realize a backport of them for lenny => lenny users will be able to use
them easily
3) perhaps, try to push what is available in lenny backport into a point-release
of lenny. This will depends on how many bug fix are present, how intrusive
the changes are, the release maintainers opinion, ...

For me, 3 is not the more important. Work on yum/rpm should have been done
earlier to be added in lenny. So you should mainly ensure that squeeze will
be in good shape with respect to yum/rpm. And backports is here for lenny
users if they really needed it.

Regards,
Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean GPG key ID 0x9D025E87 vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A 8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87

Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Thomas Goirand

Vincent Danjean wrote:
> 3) perhaps, try to push what is available in lenny backport into a point-release
> of lenny. This will depends on how many bug fix are present, how intrusive
> the changes are, the release maintainers opinion, ...
>
> For me, 3 is not the more important. Work on yum/rpm should have been done
> earlier to be added in lenny. So you should mainly ensure that squeeze will
> be in good shape with respect to yum/rpm. And backports is here for lenny
> users if they really needed it.
>
> Regards,
> Vincent

I do agree with you. I even posted on the BTS the URL of GPLHost's own
Debian repository that I manage so there is a workable solution NOW.

My employee, which know python a lot better than me, is working on a
patch. I'm not sure we will be able to have it working without
python-iniparse, but we will try.

That being said, if we can't have a working yum without new python
modules, I do insist: yum shall be REMOVED from Lenny, as it's BROKEN.

More about this later on, after Manuel's python work on the package.

Thomas

Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Luk Claes

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Vincent Danjean wrote:
>> 3) perhaps, try to push what is available in lenny backport into a point-release
>> of lenny. This will depends on how many bug fix are present, how intrusive
>> the changes are, the release maintainers opinion, ...
>>
>> For me, 3 is not the more important. Work on yum/rpm should have been done
>> earlier to be added in lenny. So you should mainly ensure that squeeze will
>> be in good shape with respect to yum/rpm. And backports is here for lenny
>> users if they really needed it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vincent
>
> I do agree with you. I even posted on the BTS the URL of GPLHost's own
> Debian repository that I manage so there is a workable solution NOW.
>
> My employee, which know python a lot better than me, is working on a
> patch. I'm not sure we will be able to have it working without
> python-iniparse, but we will try.
>
> That being said, if we can't have a working yum without new python
> modules, I do insist: yum shall be REMOVED from Lenny, as it's BROKEN.

I guess we should investigate if we can have a working yum without new
python modules.

> More about this later on, after Manuel's python work on the package.

Ok, thanks already for looking into it.

Cheers

Luk

Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Thomas Goirand

Hi,

I'm sorry that it took us so much time to make a working yum package,
but we were quite overloaded with our work, taking over all the
customers of another web hosting company (taking all our time doing
support). Anyway, I could today take the time to upload a working
version of yum. Here it is:

ftp://ftp.gplhost.com/debian/dists/lenny/main/source/yum_3.2.21-1~gplhost1.dsc

I guess you could notice that this is a newer upstream version. Please
let me know if you think this would be an acceptable replacement to be
sent in lenny proposed updates. At least, I'd be happy if somebody could
NMU it to SID or experimental, so there's at least something working
available in the archive.

Also, I would be very happy if some other people could TEST this version
and confirm that it's now working. According to us, and our needs
(bootstrap a CentOS from network), it is, but we didn't run extended
testings.

Thomas Goirand